• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Purchases this week include:

The Distant Echo by Val McDermid
24 Hours by Greg Iles
Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon
Garden of Beasts by Jeffery Deaver
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown

I read the last book years ago and will probably not read it again but it's an important book that I thought should be in my library.

RaVeN

Maybe it's his mother :eek:

Anyway... back on topic :D

Been to the book shop today :eek:

OK, got lots of paper treasures! :) YAY! *bounce bounce bounce*

Got to travel guides as I go on holiday to Barcelona in a couple of weeks! YAY! Go me!!! * million excited bounces! *

Anyway, so got Time Out - guide to Barcelona and Globe trotter - The Best of Barcelona

Those travel guides are the reason that I visited the book shop on a rainy London day, but do you think that I can enter a book shop and buy just that? Obviously not :D

Rebecca's Tale By Sally Beauman
Synopsis
April 1951. It is twenty years since the death of Rebecca, the hauntingly beauitful first wife of Maxim de Winter. It is twenty years since the inquesst, which famously - and countroversially - passed a verdict of suicide. Twenty years since Manderley, the de Winter's ancient family sea was razed to the ground.

But Rebecca's tale is just beginning...

Encyclopaedia of Snow by Sarah Emily Miano
Blurb from the back cover
Thrillingly "unuaual" and easily the smartest, most zanily concived debut since Jonathan Safran Foer's Everything is Illuminated... Fusing the dramatic, the epistolary and the poetic, it's text glints with myth and magic, religion and wit... Stories begin to emerge, indexing the winter seasons of the soul and whipsering, too, of sudden serendipitous happeniness. By it's close the reader holds the sky to a single sotry as mysterious and surpising as the best of them.

Republic By Plato
Synopsis
Presented in the form of a dialogue between Socrates and three different interlocutors, this classic text is an enquiry into the notion of a perfect community and the ideal individual within it. During the conversation, other questions are raised: what is goodness?; what is reality?; and what is knowledge? "The Republic" also addresses the purpose of education and the role of both women and men as "guardians" of the people. With remarkable lucidity and deft use of allegory, Plato arrives at a depiction of a state bound by harmony and ruled by "philosopher kings".

Eh, do you really wanna get me started? :D

Anyway, been to Spain for at least 2 times a year ( sometimes more ) for the last 6 or 7 years. This is the first year that I only go once because I find I am poor right now :p

Love Spain, it's culture and it's poeple. Never been to Barcelona but I am sure it's no different to the rest of the country :p I have friends there :p

Philip K. Dick - Five Great Novels (The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, Martian Time-Slip, Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?, Ubik, A Scanner Darkly)
Jack Vance - The Gray Prince
Poul Anderson - Three Hearts & Three Lions

SillyWabbit said:
Never been to Barcelona but I am sure it's no different to the rest of the country :p I have friends there :p

believe me its different
you must visit all the gaudi buildings, thats the best thing about barcelona

Barcelona is really rich in architecture! Lots of exciting buildings to see. If you like that kinda thing... and I do! Very much like to see the art and architecture of any city.

Btw, you have been there? What did you think of it and it's people compared to Madrid and/or rest of Spain? :)

well i end in barcelona in a drinking spree that started here in madrid but the last day we were sober enough to go do some sighting, first thing first, its a great place to go partying.
the city looks old and unatended, people there dont like to speak in spanish
but i guess thats not a problem for you, i keep talking english those days. bear in mind that i never liked cities on the sea side, but the only remarcable thing in barcelona for me was the gaudi buildings.

New this week are:

Iron Council- China Mieville
The Gormenghast trilogy- Mervyn Peake
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen..Volume 1 The Absolute Edition- Alan Moore & Kevin O'Neill
also the Scripts of the same, by Kevin O'Neill

The 2 L.E.G. hardbacks come slipcased & wrapped. Like Abu, I hate to unwrap them.

RaVeN

Gormenghast is one I need to try again with. I just couldn't get into it at all. I could see that it was probably a very good book underneath, but I couldn't get past the prose to find it. And with all three books in one volume it was quite a daunting prospect, so I set it aside for a later attempt. It's been a couple of years now, so maybe I'm braver.

It's not something that I'm going to dive right into. After the Dumas book and now about 800 page of Strange & Norrell, I'd like to get a few smaller ones in before I go for another 1 around 1000 pages.

I'd do it in a second though if G.R.R.Martin's book would come out tomorrow.

RaVeN

RaVeN said:
New this week are:

Iron Council- China Mieville
The Gormenghast trilogy- Mervyn Peake
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen..Volume 1 The Absolute Edition- Alan Moore & Kevin O'Neill
also the Scripts of the same, by Kevin O'Neill

The 2 L.E.G. hardbacks come slipcased & wrapped. Like Abu, I hate to unwrap them.

RaVeN

Yup, good luck with the Gormenghast trilogy! :cool:

Let me know what you think!

I just could not get into that one. I found the writer very staid and strange in style.:)

SillyWabbit said:
Yup, good luck with the Gormenghast trilogy! :cool:

Let me know what you think!

Will do, but it could be a while. I've probably got a hundred or 2 in my TBR pile. I wonder what the odds are of an old man like me living long enough to read them.

Esp with all the time I spend on my chopper in search of people needing saved and corn chips. :D

RaVeN

Back