• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Several books we wanted have now been put on 3 for 2 at Ottakers so obviously we had to get some :cool:

Between us we bought:

Language of Stones - Robert Carter
Boudica: Dreaming the Bull - Manda Scott
Market Forces - Richard Morgan
The Taking - Dean Koontz
The Last Juror - John Grisham (again :rolleyes: the dogs decided to play tug with Phil's other copy before he had finished reading it)

direstraits said:
I almost fell off my chair when I read the "Mr Straits" part.
Hehe, glad I made you laugh.

I bought Stephen Fry's The Liar the other day and I've been falling off chairs left, right and centre reading that one. I'm up to Part Four of Perdido Street Station but that's been put on hold since The Liar arrived, and I'm about 100 pages from finishing The Da Vinci Code. I also got The Complete Works of William Shakespeare which was a cheeky present for my dad. Cheeky because I want it myself!

Today I got Supermind by A. E. Van Vogt

Its population threated by nomadic space travellers, the Dreeghs

For Earth's inhabitants could provide the Dreeghs with blood, the Essenes of life. It was the beginning of a struggle, a conflict, that was to be decided not by the force of arms but by intelligence, by the supermind.

But how far an the mind go? Research Alpha had to find out. if the evolutionary process could b speeded up so that at million years could take place within a few days could point omega b reached, the ponit of supreme intelligence, where Man is at one with the totality?

This was only 50 pence from a local book place :D :)

No Second Chance by Harlen Coben

Marc Seidman's idyllic world is brutally ripped apart when he is gunned down in his home. Twelve days later he wakes up in hospital to learn that his wife is dead and his baby daughter is missing. A ransom demand is made and agreed to. But something goes terribly wrong. The kidnappers escape, and Marc remembers the ransom note's ominous warning: there will be no second chance. An agonising eighteen months pass with no word. And then, as Marc has just about given up all hope of seeing his daughter again, a package arrives with a note attached: want a second chance? The note is chilling, but Marc sees only one thing: the chance to save his daughter. And, haunted by deception and deadly secrets - about his wife, about an old love, and about his own past - he vows to bring Tara home ...at any cost.

Charlotte Gray by Sebastian Faulks

Sebastian Faulks established his authority as a storyteller with his best-selling Birdsong. His next book, Charlotte Gray, a haunting story of love and war set in London and occupied France in 1942-3, is loosely a sequel. Charlotte is a highly educated young Scottish woman who falls passionately in love with an airman, Peter Gregory, emotionally scarred by his many close brushes with death. When he disappears on a mission to France, she follows him as a British secret courier, sent over to help support the Resistance. Having failed to find Gregory, she decides to stay on to do what she can for the France she has loved since childhood.

Finally got Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King on Monday - £8.79 at Tesco's (RRP £14.99). I love a bargain! :) Currently almost a third of the way through it.

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. Haven't got a clue as to what its about but I have to read something while I wait for Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance.

Just bought Manda Scott's Boudica: Dreaming the Hound, the third book in the series... have waited a whole yer for this book. A great read.

Last time I made a literary purchase was last week, and I bought The Magus by John Fowles and 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez.

Received four Charles de Lint books from Amazon;
Moonheart
The Wild Wood
The Dreaming Place and
Wolf Moon
I took a peek at the last one *Wolf Moon* and even though I was already reading two others I was hooked and read it. It is a magical book of myth and legend and if the other three are as good I'm in for a real treat. Thanks for the recommendation Wabbit :)

Last Tuesday, I purchased Home to Harmony by Philip Gulley and States of Mind by Brad Herzog. And since my husband is working late tomorrow, I have a date to meet myself tomorrow evening at the local used bookstore to see what they've got. I go through these book-buying binges occasionally, and this week just seems to be one of those times.

The last books i bought are:

Walden; Or Life in the Woods by Henry David Thoreau
Walking by Henry David Thoreau
Nature by Ralph Waldo Emerson
Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
**** Machine by Charles Bukowski

Yesterday I bought Ann Rule's The Stranger Beside Me, and Patricia Cornwall's Portrait of a Killer for £2.50 each. :eek: Today, I'm off to pick up The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. :D

Yesterday bought Isaac Asimov Foundation cycle ...
Generally i want to buy second book kof "Abarat", but can't find it in Russia.
Can anybody advice me, where i can buy it?

Back