• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

I've recently purchased:

1. Crime and Punishment
2. Discourse on Method
3. The Principles of Philosophy
4. Meditations on the First Philosophy
5. The Seven Ideas That Shook The Universe
6. Great Expectations
7. Watership Down

Hmm, just got a load of books for a brief holiday we went on -

Market Forces - Richard Morgan
The Gunslinger - Stephen King
The Last Juror - John Grisham
The Taking - Dean Koontz
The latest one by Josie Lloyd & Emlyn Rees - My Family? We are Family? Something along those lines.

Plus a load that Ice got that I cant remember :D

Phil

Delta_doh! said:
Just Bought............ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF SOLITUDE by Marquez, Gabriel Garcia

View attachment atinypic_com_1zafll

Anyone read it ?

ME! :D

This is one of my all time fave books from one of my all time fave authors. I would never use the word lightly but I will just say that it's ( in my opinion ) a work of genius!

The way he packs all those lives ( 5 generations over 100 years ) into a book and each character seem so real and alive is totally amazing. It really hit me when I turned the last page. I felt the whoosh and weight of that time. Some characters live and die in the space of a page and some live through most of the book. Not only do the characters live and change but so does the town of Macondo. The country and world around it also changes.

The writing is very beautiful and there are so many beautiful lines in the book. Of course it is written as "magical realism" and so there are many strange, beautiful, and wonderful events that take place in the narrative.

Beautiful, complex, and just a great story.

I will give a word of warning though. It's not an "easy" book to read. In fact it can be a very difficult read. I think it's worth it though. So even when it might be hard going just stick with it :)

Wabbit, I did enjoy The Taking - its classic Dean Koontz and is one of the better ones of his I've read.

Its better in the first hundred or so pages though, you get the impression he wasnt sure how to finish the middle bit before heading to the denouement. Very atmospheric though, very scary - and you wont be able to stop yourself looking suspiciously at dogs and baby's dolls :D

Phil

I bought 2 books yesterday.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance ~ Robert M. Pirsig
Blindness ~Jose Saramago

I bought two books today:

"Fortunata and Jacinta" by Benito Perez Galdos
"The Princess of Cleves" by Madame De Lafayette

Got 'em cheap! :D

I nearly bought a Swedish book. :eek:
After reading an article about it, I was sold. I don't want to wait for it to come out in Norwegian, that won't happen before april, which is too long.
And I really want to read it NOW. :mad:
Maybe I'll stay away from bookshops till then... :eek:

SillyWabbit said:
Delta_doh! said:
You're welcome! I'll be interested in what you think of it. It's not everybody's cup of tea :)

Cheers Wabbit, will defy let you know...not starting it just yet still reading last one, not a fast reader so bare with me awhile...
x

Infinity said:
5. The Seven Ideas That Shook The Universe

What's this book about? It sounds like an interesting book. :) Who's the author?

Hay82: Yay! Have you start reading "Zen..."?

Delta_doh!: I've always wanted to read "Hundred years of solitude" but i can only find it in swedish and i dont want that. does it seem good? How is his language?

Today i bought

The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey

I also looked for The Waste Land by T.S. Elliot, but i couldn't found it and i didn't had enough money with me anyway ;)

Bought The Creature in the Case by Garth Nix today (set in the Sabriel/Lirael/Abhorsen world). A bargain £1 for World Book Day. :)

MiniBix said:
What's this book about? It sounds like an interesting book. Who's the author?

It's a book about physics, chemistry, and astronomy. Its authors are Nathan Spielberg and Bryon D. Anderson. The seven ideas that, according to the book, shook the universe are:

1. The Earth is not the centre of the universe
--> Copernican astronomy
2. The universe is a mechanism run by rules
--> Newtonian mechanics and causality
3. Energy is what makes it go
--> The concept of energy
4. Entropy tells it where to go
--> Entropy and Probability
5. The facts are relative but the law is absolute
--> Relativity
6. You can't predict or know everything
--> Quantum theory and the end of causality
7. Fundamentally, things never change
--> Conversation principles and symmetry

Since I'll be taking HL Chemistry, Entropy and Probability interest me most. It gets even more complicated when you read about "Heat Death" in the universe in the book!!! I'd strongly recommend that you pick up this book and learn from it! :)

Ooh! A new Half Price book store had its grand openning today in Austin. Here's what I got:

Splatterpunks Extreme Horror - edited by Paul M. Sammon (I've been looking for this in used book stores for many years - although I could've easily purchased it online)

Arabian Nights (not sure who the translator is)

I just bought The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams for English class and Life in Ancient Egypt and Adolf Erman for my own reading pleasure! :)

Back