• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Recently purchased from our book exchange store Love in the Time of Cholera. Has anyone read this book and if so would you give me an opinion on it. I'm up to about page 85 and it's a bit of a struggle - not my usual read but have been told it's a wonderful book. Any comments?:confused:

Have given up on trying to read Love in the Time of Cholera. Was finding it a bit tiresome, however, I have marked the page I was at and maybe when I pick it up next time I'll find it more interesting (or maybe it will just sit there).:rolleyes:

Recently purchased from our book exchange store Love in the Time of Cholera. Has anyone read this book and if so would you give me an opinion on it. I'm up to about page 85 and it's a bit of a struggle - not my usual read but have been told it's a wonderful book. Any comments?:confused:

I've read one of his books and won't read any more. The fact that he feels the need to address every single character by their entire name, sometimes two, three times in the same paragraph, is ridiculous and very tiring.

Thanks for your response Dude. I have given up on the book for now - maybe if I run out of reading material will pick it up again but I think it's a goner.:rolleyes:

This reminds me, The Night Eternal is just a few months away now... (the third book in the trilogy). October 13th according to Amazon.
I'm thinking about rereading the first two books to refresh my memory for the finale. My boyfriend owns the audiobook for The Strain so I might just listen to Ron Perlman narrate. I could get some art projects done. :whistling: I keep going back and forth about whether I want to own the trilogy or just get it from the library when I need a fix.

@PrincessFiona60 - I have done this a few times with books in the past. Grabbed second or third book in series/trilogy and then had to revisit. As it happened with the Malazan books, I was given the 2nd/3rd/4th books in the trilogy but not the first one... as it turned out, I really liked though, but then really couldn't get into the second one, so the rest remain unread. Also the second book fell apart on me now, so may pick up a copy on the Kindle so reading it isn't a pain...

@Fantasy Moon - I hate having to make these decisions. I will be honest: too often in the past I've bought books I could've loaned out, and these now take up lots of room, so much so I have to shift them into storage/get rid of them soon. You could save yourself the pain of having to sort through which books get 'the chop' by using the library... or ebooks I guess if you have a reader.

If I do buy them, I was planning to purchase e-books. I've cut out a lot of books from my collection, but space is still a concern. And my e-Reader needs more than just the classics on it... right?

I'm thinking about rereading the first two books to refresh my memory for the finale. My boyfriend owns the audiobook for The Strain so I might just listen to Ron Perlman narrate. I could get some art projects done. :whistling: I keep going back and forth about whether I want to own the trilogy or just get it from the library when I need a fix.

I love posts like this, it gives me a good idea how much a book or series is likable.

I've never been able to listen to audiobooks...but I do love Ron Perlman's voice.

Thanks!

@PrincessFiona60 - I have done this a few times with books in the past. Grabbed second or third book in series/trilogy and then had to revisit. As it happened with the Malazan books, I was given the 2nd/3rd/4th books in the trilogy but not the first one... as it turned out, I really liked though, but then really couldn't get into the second one, so the rest remain unread. Also the second book fell apart on me now, so may pick up a copy on the Kindle so reading it isn't a pain...

@Fantasy Moon - I hate having to make these decisions. I will be honest: too often in the past I've bought books I could've loaned out, and these now take up lots of room, so much so I have to shift them into storage/get rid of them soon. You could save yourself the pain of having to sort through which books get 'the chop' by using the library... or ebooks I guess if you have a reader.

I almost always, never fail to pick up the second or third in a series...this time I got lucky because I noticed BEFORE I left the bookstore. :lol:

Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics - Aristotle.
The Storm of War: A New History of the Second World War - Andrew Roberts
Cutting for Stone - Abraham Verghese

The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley
The Foreshadowing by Marcus Sedgwick
The Dark Flight Down by Marcus Sedgwick

Back