• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

phil_t said:
Latest 3 for 2's from Waterstones:

The Bourne Supremacy by Robert Ludlum
Trojan Odyssey by Clive Cussler
The Last Juror by John Grisham

Phil :)

Hi, Phil, How is that Trojan Odyssey? Have you read it already? and what do you think about it?

Thanks.

The code book - Simon Singh
GEB - Douglas R. Hofstadter
Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance - Robert M. Pirsig

A recent rummage outside the NFT yielded "A Farewell to Arms" by Ernest Hemingway and "Galilee" by Clive Barker.

My last Amazon box included:
"Pandora's Star" - Peter F. Hamilton
"Metroland" - Julian Barnes
"The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy" - Tim Burton
"GB84" - David Peace

Three of Stephen Fry's books have been purchased for me, recently: Moab is my Washpot, Making History and The Stars' Tennis Balls.

Even more recently (today), I purchased for myself: Robert Tressell's The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists and Monsieur Fry's 2nd novel, The Hippopotamus - to be read before Making History. Along with those books, I bought Discworld Noir - a PC adventure game - and Bound - a movie directed by the Wachowski brothers. Thank you and goodnight.

I picked up 3 new ones today.

The Night Calls by David Pire
The second novel in a series featuring Arthur Conan Doyle & his mentor Dr. Joseph Bell.

Celtika by Robert Holdstock
Book one of The Merlin Codex

The Pythons Autobiography by The Pythons
An oversized (and overweight) coffee table book about Monty Python....those were the days my friends.

RaVeN

My recent buys:
Lee Child's latest - 'One Shot'
Raymond Chandler - 'Farewell My Lovely'
Anne Bishop - 'The Black Jewels Trilogy'

The Piano Tuner, Middlesex, and Kiterunner. I've only read the Piano Tuner so far -- it was great.

Oh, and of course, the book (cookbook) I just posted about-- "With a Measure of Grace, the Story and Recipes of a Small Town Restaurant." Surprisingly good read.

I got the following from a used book store and the library:
Martin Walser - Ehen in Philippsburg
Ingrid Noll - Der Hahn ist tot (I coudn't find translations for those.. )
a collection of French poetry (Rimbaud, Verlaine, Baudelaire, Mallarmé)
Banana Yoshimoto - Kitchen
John Steinbeck - Früchte des Zorns (Grapes of Wrath)

Flatland by Edwin A Abbott
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

I went looking for a Copy of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy because our house copy seems to be missing (ie my brother has it somewhere in his messy room and doesn't remember taking it or is too lazy to look for it). Flatland was an impulse buy because I thought my boyfriend might like it. I'm trying to force him to read more (has been working on A Pirate Looks at Fifty for almost a year). Saw that I could get all the Hitchikers for less than $20. So, now I am very satisfied and already working on Flatland (have to read it before BF, already learned my lesson with the Buffett book).

direstraits said:
Isn't Flatland the book with cute goemetrical characters moving around in 2 dimensional space?

Yup, it is. I'm almost done with it. It's pretty much exactly the same as I remembered it being when I was a kid. A great book.

That's it!

After a couple of bouts of buying non-genre fiction, I'm feeling all weird. I went out today and got all these:
James Herbert, The Fog
Niven and Pournelle, Lucifer's Hammer
Heinlein, The Man Who Sold the Moon
King, Carrie
Ayn Rand, Anthem
Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes
Samuel R Delany, Nova

Arrrgh!!! Still no Robin Hobb!!!

ds

Back