• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

H.G. Wells

I bought an H.G. Wells book that contains The Time Machine, The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Invisible Man, The First Men In The Moon, The Food of the Gods, The War of the Worlds.

Must.... stop...... buying..... books......... CAN'T!

I got two from Book shop on Saturday! I promised myself I wouldn't.... but you know how it is :D I was actually being good. I saw at least 5 that I really wanted :p

Remember Me - Trezza Azzopardi.

The blurb:
Winnie would say she is no trouble. She minds her own business, doesn't bother anyone; she lives alone in an abandoned house keeping her meagre possessions close by. She would rather not recall the past and, at seventy two, she doesn't see much point in thinking about the future.

When her life is shattered by a Random act of violence, and she is robbed of all that she holds dear, Winnie is forced out of her exile and embarks on a journey to track down the hteir... only to find that what began as a search for stolen belongings has become the discovery of a stolen life.

The Last Crossing - Guy Vanderhaeghe.

The Blurb:
The West, 1871: two English gentlemen, Charles and Addington Gaunt are searching for their missing brother in the vast badlands of the interior; with them travels a beautiful woman, Lucy Stoweall, who is hoping to avenger her sister's vicious murder.

Across a harsh and unknown landscape their small band becomes entangled in a drama of extraordinary suspense and Revelation. The Last Crossing is a breathtaking, exquisitely written novel with at it's centre an unusual and moving love story.

There was an example of writing on the back cover that really impressed me and made me buy this one.

Out of the black inkwell of the night, a white flood poured. Fat flakes of lazy snow eddying, sticking like wet feathers to whatever they touched. Simon Gaunt, waking with a start, discovered himself becalmed in a storm. Never had he known it to be so cold; it drew heat out of the body like a leech draws blood.

From evil Ebay :D

Innocent Erendira - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

The blurb:
These stories are a collection written over the span of 25 years. The earlier stories are among the first Garcia Marquez ever wrote and the latest and longest, the title story, takes up a theme mentioned in passing in the classic One Hundred Years of Solitude - the tale of a young girl who accidentally burns down the house of her grandmother and is forced into a life of prostitution and slavery to repay her debt. All the stories display authentic voice of Garcia Marquez genius.

Two gifts from a wonderful friend and person! Thank you :)

Wolf Moon - Charles De Lint.

The Blurb:
His name when he was Human was Kern, and it seemed he had been running forever, for he had become the most feared of beings: A werewolf. When the change had first come upon him, his parents had driven him away with silver daggers. Later, Kern sought human companionship. But he could not hide the truth for long, and so he kept running until he ran headlong into the deadliest pursuer of all - a Harper bent on stealing his life away.

From a Whisper to a scream - Charles De Lint.

The Blurb:
Years after the death of a notorious child murderer, children have begun to die again... and a crime photographer begins to suspect he has the one true clue that connects the horrific events...

I recently read a book titled, Rita69Grl

It's an urban fiction novel about a girl that grows up with a prositutue mom and the struggles she endures while growing up. I usually don't get into urban fiction, but when I came accross the book on Trafford Publishings online bookstore a couple of months ago, I was drawn to it once I read the excerpt and book details. I read the entire book (217 pages) in less than 2 days.

Bought Song of Susannah by Stephen King last night from Amazon. Needed one more book to get free p&p, but couldn't decide, so got two more...

America Is Me by E.R. Frank and
The Gift by Alison Croggon.

I now make that 47 on my TBR pile. :eek: Perhaps I should actually try and read some instead of just buying more! :D

Halo said:
I now make that 47 on my TBR pile. :eek: Perhaps I should actually try and read some instead of just buying more! :D

What kind of crazy talk is that? :D

<--- from somebody that has over 50 in his TBR pile

Libra6Poe said:
YAY!!! I'm so glad!

Thanks Libra6Poe! :) The time draws ever nearer when I can finally join in the Dark Tower thread. :rolleyes: Unfortunately, with selecting the free delivery, Amazon won't be despatching them until 14th-16th March, and then it will take another 3-5 days for me to get them. :eek: Serves me right for being a skinflint! :D

Wabbit, I thought I was bad for stock-piling books! :D

Bought last week

Kafka on the shore - Haruki Murakami
Wind up bird chronical - Haruki Murakami
Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown (just for curiosity)

I've just bought a textbook called Chemistry: Matter & Change. It's "quite" thick so I think it will take me about three weeks to a month to read it (almost a thousand pages!).

As you may have noticed, Science is one of my most favourite subjects and therefore I like to read books about it. Thus, I don't mind reading a 1000-page book! In fact, I've read a few textbooks that long before and I enjoyed them very much. It is, in my opinion, really rewarding to read textbooks because you learn a lot of things. But the most important thing is that you need to know how to retain all the information or otherwise you just waste your time reading textbooks without learning anything!

By the way, textbooks cost a lot of money......

Yeah, I thought they weren't cheap. I remember the average 200-pager would cost about £30. If my calculations are correct, then that behemoth of a 1000-pager must have set you back about £500.
Halo said:
I thought I was bad for stock-piling books! :D
I thought I was bad... I've got three waiting for me. Four if I include one that I don't really intend to read. I've got loads in my TBB (to-be-bought) List, though. Gosh, I wonder what your mummies say about your piles!

Disclaimer: I plucked all those above figures from the air. No brain-power involved

Nosferatu Man said:
Yeah, I thought they weren't cheap. I remember the average 200-pager would cost about £30. If my calculations are correct, then that behemoth of a 1000-pager must have set you back about £500.

Not that expensive! A 1000-page textbook usually costs from ~$100 to ~$200, not ~$500!

By the way, I got Chemistry: Matter and Change SE with $83.96. Not too expensive for a 1000-page textbook, though! :)

(Please ignore the currency inequivalencies! $ and £ are almost equivalent though!)

SillyWabbit said:
Jigs and Reels! I was SO close to buying that one! Will get it eventually! Nice book line up :)

Yes ....And well pleased Got new copy of Jigs and Reels 1/2 price on ebay, it looks like a good one :)
Now I'm stuck which to read first :eek: perhaps I will go with my mood and start them both... :D

Bought these yesterday:
Wicked: Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West- Gregory Maguire
I, Elizabeth- Rosalind Miles
Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles- Margaret George
Katherine of Aragon- Jean Plaidy

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier.

Went to buy Anna Karenina, but they didn't have the whole story in just ONE book. So I didn't buy it, I don't want seperate Anna Karenina's in several volumes.

Back