• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

My books are finally coming in. I ordered The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli, Harry Potter and Philosophy: If Aristotle ran Hogwarts by David Baggett, and The Portable Nietzsche from Amazon.com and I got them today. Woo hoo. I ordered some books from ebay also. I can't wait to get those. :D

I bought:

Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris (£1!) :cool:
Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination - Helen Fielding.

Hi,
I went into town today to exchange my copy of Angels and Demons by Dan Brown which jumped from page 64 to 97. (when i was just starting to enjoy it).
The Shop gave me a new copy and checked all the other books on the shelf which were all OK ( If it was a printing error i don't know where the other faulty books went).
Anyway passing a Charity shop on the way home i saw an offer 4 paperbacks or 2 Hardbacks for 99p. This was an offer i couldn't refuse so i bought

The Straw Men by Michael Marshall
By The Light Of The Moon by Dean Koontz
Border Crossing By Pat Barker
Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand

Probably go back again soon to buy some more.

Cabrasopa :cool:

The Christmas Train ~ David Baldacci

I bought this in a charity shop for £1.60, because I was curious and I have to buy books - it's an obsession.

Anyway, has anyone here read it, and is it any good?

While on vacation in Missouri a few weeks ago, I noticed a little, used book store on one of the winding back-country roads. Those are the kind of places that I love to check out, so I hit the skids, threw a few chunks of gravel and pulled in to their overwhelming 3 car parking lot.

I knew I was at the right place as soon as I saw a sign on the window stating that they also do lawn mower repair.

When I walked in, a semi-crusty old codger gave me a 30 second tour of the place. It was like one of those decrepit, one room schoolhouses that Grandma RaVeN used to rant on and on about.

I had to turn sideways to shimmy through the isles, but every section was neatly labled by 5x3 recipe cards. I just knew there was a treasure waiting for me to blow the dust off of it.

Well, I looked high, low & crosss-eyed. I wanted to help the old gent out by buying an armload of books, but was olny able to find one to my liking...a 1st edition of Clive Barker's Weaveworld.

It may not of been the treasure that I was hoping for, but the only thing that could have made it better was if Father Time there would have offered me a tall glass of lemonaide. That....and if I would've had my lawn mower with me.

RaVeN

Orthodoxy - G. K. Chesterton
Persuasion, Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Emma - J. Austen

I bought even more books! The stores around here are having a buy 3 get 1 free deal so I HAD to!!! ;) I am collecting the Janet Evanovich books so I got One For The Money, Three To Get Deadly and Ten Big Ones, and then I got Blue Moon by Laurell K Hamilton(it was free!!)cause I'm reading that series now. :D

A good friend gave me a gift card for the book store so I went and picked up Don Quixote, The Three Musketeers, E. A. Poe Collected Works, Baudolino by Umberto Eco and Little Big by John Crowley. These should keep me busy for awhile.

Every year I set out to finish reading all the books I have before buying more...

It never seems to work...

So, I digress,

Troubles of Being a Girl - Lane Kennedy (surpisingly really good!)
In the City of Shy Hunters - Tom Spanbauer
Tumble Home - Amy Hempel
Haunted - Chuck Pahlaniuk
The Faulkner Reader - Incredible nobel prize acceptance speech and forward. Used bookstore came through again!

The latest books that I have bought are:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
Darkfall - Isobelle Carmody
Northern Lights - Philip Pullaman
The Lioness Rampant series - Tamora Pierce

this was my school holidays where i dont buy books...and i was doing so well....then...my friend suggested we go book shopping..so went to 2 different boo stores and i baught a book from each place...,
then that was it..i already posted wat they were...

then i go see a movie and out side the theatre is a borders...so OBVIOUSOLY i baught another book!!

argh

lani

Purchased on Wednesday:

- Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
- Tatooine Ghost by Troy Denning
- Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn
- Dark Force Rising by Timothy Zahn
- The Last Command by Timothy Zahn

Innamorata said:
- Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
I recently read 'Geek Love' and became quite fond of it. I wasn't captivated by the initial chapters but I felt that it improved with time.

Wolhay said:
I recently read 'Geek Love' and became quite fond of it. I wasn't captivated by the initial chapters but I felt that it improved with time.

Yeh, I had a hard time getting into it at first too, but I heard it's quite sad at the end, and I'm a sucker for books like that, and knew I had to stick it out to get to the end. But I'm loving it at the moment.

Worm said:
James Patterson When The Wind Blows/The Lake House.are they good ??

I can't tell you, because I've never read any of his work, but I just bought When The Wind Blows too! It cost 1p (new) :eek: from Amazon marketplace, definitely the cheapest book I've ever bought! (Well, okay, the postage was £2.75, but it doesn't look like such a bargain if I mention that bit).

Back