• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Bram Stoker's Dracula. Between it being a heavily discounted Wordsworth Classics Edition and my employee discount it was a whole $1.86. Probably won't be read until next October for my next attempt at a month of horror.

I have never read anything by China Mieville, ds. What made you buy The Scar?

Well, hell. What made you purchase either of them? :D

Hehe... well, I read Perdido Street Station, and it was very interesting. I really like his writing style - I visualized his opening 2 pages and it was like watching a bloody movie. Cool. Although I had to wrap my head around the rest of PSS because there was just *too many places to remember*. He knows his city, that's for sure. Reminds me of comic books.

But the real reason I bought the Scar is the myriad recommendations I've received for it - it was the reason I read PSS in the first place - to get to the ground floor before I get The Scar. There are a few people here who have recommended it and have said this book is better than PSS.

Still, Mieville is dark/urban fantasy (Ainulindale will come down here and spank me if I get the genre of his favourite writer wrong :D), so unless you're into the fantastic, you'd not get this.

Lian Hearn's story is feudal Japan mixed with magic mixed with love and *gasp* politics. At least I think it does. Comes recommended by those who've read it.

Started on your Loana yet? :D

ds

direstraits said:
I just picked up Lean Hearn's Across the Nightingale Floor and China Mieville's The Scar.

ds
Ooo!! I'm reading that right now! It's a great story!
(Not so keen on the first person/second person style... but the plot makes up for it :D)

direstraits said:
See? This is why I like this thread so much.

Which one are you reading, exactly? Lemme guess - the Scar?

ds
Nope, should have clarified - Across the Nightingale Floor. I'm about 2/3 through at the moment. It's getting exciting. I was late into the office yesterday because I started reading 'just a bit' over breakfast... an hour later I looked at the clock!

Still, Mieville is dark/urban fantasy (Ainulindale will come down here and spank me if I get the genre of his favourite writer wrong :D), so unless you're into the fantastic, you'd not get this.

Thank God I asked. :D

Started on your Loana yet? :D

Do you think it's safe to go so directly to Eco from Nabokov? (I almost had to enter a clinic after trying to transition straight to Wilde.)

I'm consuming a sort of a sorbet at the moment, in the form of my first Philippa Gregory. Think maybe that'll do the trick?

StillILearn said:
Do you think it's safe to go so directly to Eco from Nabokov? (I almost had to enter a clinic after trying to transition straight to Wilde.)

I'm consuming a sort of a sorbet at the moment, in the form of my first Philippa Gregory. Think maybe that'll do the trick?
Well, actually, to be really safe, you have to perform a full set of rites before embarking on an Eco. Firstly you have to ensure you've consumed an adequate amount of water daily for 5 consecutive days (don't laugh - you'd be surprised how many people don't take 2 litres of water a day), then you'll have to touch your nose with your toes. No help from your hands. With a book on your head. Preferably something other than a Philippa Gregory.

Don't get me started on my hospital visits when I started Queen Loana.

:D

Where is Ainulindale these days?
Around, I'm sure. Say something about Mieville over in the scifi subforum and he'll swing about. :D :D

ds

I just got:

Martin Amis - Other People

Kingsley Amis - Lucky Jim

Hemingway - The Old Man and the Sea (I hope he gets to the point...:p)

Graham Greene - England Made Me.

I just bought a really cheap cloth hardback version of The Brothers Karamazov from Amazon. It has a detailed intro, a chronological detail of his life and the historical events surrounding his life, not the mention the almost necessary list of characters. Russian literature likes to give everyone four names and not tell you who is who.

I went into town today, and finally managed to get my hands on a copy of Lolita. Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it will be Book of the Month next month :)

I just got The Three Musketeers on friday for 50 cents. Its the wordsworth classics edition and its a little creased but for a book like that I don't mind. I'll probably read it during winter vacation.:cool:

MonkeyCatcher said:
I went into town today, and finally managed to get my hands on a copy of Lolita. Now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it will be Book of the Month next month :)

hey right on! im keeping my toes crossed for that one.:D

Back