• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Just purchased off Ebay tonight....Weekend Warriors by Fern Michaels. It is the first one in the Sisterhood series:)

Battle Royale by Takami. I always wanted it but never could find it in stores. I asked for it in the local Barnes and Noble and the guy that helped me was nice enough to rummage through the back room. Kick ass!:cool:

Just purchased:

• Naipaul, A house for Mr Biswas
  • McCall Smith, Morality for beautiful girls
  • Martel, Life of Pi
  • Morante, Menzogna e sortilegio
  • Emmanuel Schmitt, My life with Mozart

CDA said:
Graham Greene - England Made Me.
I read this a few years ago; it's one of Greenes 'entertainments'. The thing I remember most is that the book kind of coasts along until you hit a chapter where the main character reflects on his childhood, then suddenly the standard of writing goes through the roof. It's almost like Greene slips his writing into top gear for a while to remind the reader how f'#king good he can be when he wants.

Kenny Shovel said:
I read this a few years ago; it's one of Greenes 'entertainments'. The thing I remember most is that the book kind of coasts along until you hit a chapter where the main character reflects on his childhood, then suddenly the standard of writing goes through the roof. It's almost like Greene slips his writing into top gear for a while to remind the reader how f'#king good he can be when he wants.

The only other Greene I've read is The End of the Affair. Thought it was ok.

I purchased Voyager by Diana Gabaldon offline yesterday. I've just finished Dragonfly in Amber, and can't wait to see what happens next.

For my birthday I received Notes From Underground by Dostoevsky and The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. Both are Pevear and Volokhonsky translations.

Went to a bookstore and purchased Alan Alda's book, Never have your dog stuffed.:D I've read the first three chapters and it's very funny. Definitely a wise choice on my part.
th_reading.gif

SFG75 said:
Went to a bookstore and purchased Alan Alda's book, Never have your dog stuffed.:D I've read the first three chapters and it's very funny. Definitely a wise choice on my part.
th_reading.gif

I'd like to read this too. Alan Alda has always struck me as a neat guy.

Back in a bit, I have a special request to read 10 Apples Up on Top...:)

i've just bought

:) :) :)
  • José Saramago, As intermitencias da morte (his last book, he's my favourite writer!!)
  • Pinkola Estés. Women Who run with the wolves
  • Nair, One hundred shades of white

My local bookstore issued 2 coupons for 50% off any book we want, so I went and got:

Life of Pi by Yann Martel. This is one of my favourite books, and I've been waiting for an opportunity just like this to finally purchase a copy for myself.

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (yes, Stewart, you finally persuaded me ;) )

Life of Pi by Yann Martel. This is one of my favourite books, and I've been waiting for an opportunity just like this to finally purchase a copy for myself.

I don't know if it's just me, but a lot of people here have had that book listed in the book bar underneath their moniker. I read the back of the book at a bookstore, the plot sounds like something I wouldn't be interested in, but I might just have to check it out to see what I'm missing. Let us know what your opinion on it is when you're done reading it.:D :cool:

SFG75 said:
Let us know what your opinion on it is when you're done reading it.:D :cool:
I've read it already, but I loved it so much I bought a copy of it. I did post about it somewhere when I finished it, but to sum it up: brilliant!! I hope that you do check it out, it's really great.

CDA said:
Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake
Enjoy! Make sure to post what you think about it afterwards, I'd love to see another opinion on it :)

MonkeyCatcher said:
Enjoy! Make sure to post what you think about it afterwards, I'd love to see another opinion on it :)

Will do. Probably going to start it after the weekend. Looks interesting.:)

i took out the following out of the library today:

candide - voltaire (i read an excerpt in class and liked it actually)
god bless you, Dr. Kevorkian - Kurt Vonnegut
wasted - marya hornbacher

Back