• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

steffee said:
I can say enough good things about this book fairy of yours. Want to send her over this way? ;)
:D Um, no.
I'm an only child, and I never learned to share properly. ;)

She? Who said that?

I just got Flavor of the Month by Olivia Goldsmtih
The Hottest State by Ethan Hawke
The Historian
Complete Stories of Eudora Welty
A Boy's Own Story - Edmund White
The Master - Colm Toibin
Full Spectrum - David Levithan

I havn't seen the movie 'cause Philip Seymour Hoffman playing Capote kinda freaks me out.
But now that I've read the book, watching the movie has become an interesting option.

I'm really looking forward to the "In Cold Blood" discussion next month.

They did such a good job. I'd think that watching the movie would add to your enjoyment of reading the book.

hoffman.jpg

I just read a movie summary and seeing that Harper Lee is represented in it I'll probably go and get the movie when it's out on DVD.
Thx for the tip.

I think the relationship of these two great authors is intriguing, considering "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "In Cold Blood" being two of the best books I've read so far. We really have to discuss this some time.

Went to Barnes and Noble today. I purchased these two books:

Baudolino by Umberto Eco

All Families Are Pyschotic by Douglas Coupland

I went on a bit of a book buyng frenzy at the weekend at one of my favourite second-hand bookstores. Thank goodness I didn't have cash on me, or I would have shelled out more moolah at the markets I passed by on the way (original score and book of Paul Simon's 'One Trick Pony' movie - aagh! For want of an ATM... there was also a few Dostoyevski there for some bargainsome prices, and I thought of ions... I'll take a peek this weekend to see if they're still there :D).

So what I *did* buy was:

The Neverending Story - Michael Ende (always wanted to own this, unfortunately it's got the movie pics on the cover, but for $2 I wasn't going to quibble.
A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute
Laurence Olivier biography - Donald Spoto (wonderful original photos)
The Lions of Al-Rassan - Guy Gavriel Kay
Lord of Emperors - Guy Gavriel Kay. (Two Kay books!! Tres formidable!
An Illustrated Anthology of Fairy Poems - Just a gorgeous book!

Kookamoor said:
A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute
There was a good movie made of that as well, although the book had much more detail and backstory. I read it years ago. I think you'll really enjoy this. :)

The scenes of the Death March are unforgetable. I mean in the book.

Books are in the mail...=)
Eragon Hardcover
Eldest Hardcover
Harry Potter PS Large print
Harry Potter COS Large Print

I am getting all the Harry Potter books in Large Print so when I am old and crusty and can't see well I can still read the books myself...

The Historian-Elizabeth Kostova
The Twentieth Wife- Indu Sundaresan
Of Making Many Books-Roger Burlingame
The Autograph Man- Zadie Smith

pontalba said:
There was a good movie made of that as well, although the book had much more detail and backstory. I read it years ago. I think you'll really enjoy this.

StillILearn said:
I loved A Town Like Alice (the book).
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it. I recently went to Alice Springs for the first time and it blew me away how different it is out there. There was a tv show called 'The Alice' as well, but apparently it was mostly set in Sydney. I never saw it, but the locals out in Alice were universally disappointed by it's lack of resemblance to the real situation.

Back