• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Destiny of the Republic by Candice Millard
The Swerve by Stephen Greenblatt
All Our Worldy Goods by Irene Nemirovsky
Stolen Souls by Stuart Neville
Half Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan

Just tried to read Port Mortuary by Patricia Cornwell this last couple of days. Found it too wordy, too introspective and not at all as fast paced as Kay Scarpetta books of the past. I started it yesterday, put it down, picked it up again today for another try but got bogged down again and finally decided to put it away for a rainy day or whatever. Don't know whether Ms. Cornwell has changed her style of writing or whether it's me. A bit of a disappointment. :sad:

Life of Pi and Jeeves! How terrific, both good books! I can't really compete as I rescued mine at our recycling depot: an old Winnie the Pooh - not Disney - and Monsuratt's 'The Ship that Died of Shame.'

Life of Pi and Jeeves! How terrific, both good books! I can't really compete as I rescued mine at our recycling depot: an old Winnie the Pooh - not Disney - and Monsuratt's 'The Ship that Died of Shame.'

Hi Giffen: Just noticed that you had read a Monsaratt book, didn't know he had written anything else except The Cruel Sea and there was only one really old copy of that here which was brought in to our library on request from another library. We have the video with Jack Hawkins in it. The Ship That Died of Shame was apparently also made into a movie. I've ordered the book from Amazon - glad you posted about it. Thanks. :)

Hi Canuck,
You are welcome. Actually he wrote a lot of books. You may enjoy his two Master Mariner books, I did. Two or three of his books were made into movies.

Hi Canuck,
You are welcome. Actually he wrote a lot of books. You may enjoy his two Master Mariner books, I did. Two or three of his books were made into movies.

Hi again Giffen: Good to know that there are more of his books around. Maybe I should scout around a used book store and maybe find one there. Note that you are on Saltspring, have been there a couple of times, very nice. Used to live just outside of Vancouver so it wasn't difficult to get over to the island. Have a friend and hubby who live there but haven't been there in many a year. :)

Fantasy Moon,
I haven't read that one of Tolkien's. Any good?
I loved the three Ring books, and was very disappointed that the return to the Shire was left out of the last movie, though it didn't spoil it for me. Have you read the timetables at the back? I found them very satisfying!

Fantasy Moon,
I haven't read that one of Tolkien's. Any good?
I loved the three Ring books, and was very disappointed that the return to the Shire was left out of the last movie, though it didn't spoil it for me. Have you read the timetables at the back? I found them very satisfying!

I haven't started reading it yet but I will post on the forums my thoughts once I am done. I wish to read all the History of Middle-Earth series in order so it would be awhile before I got to this volume. However, I do know that the concept of Morgoth's "ring" isn't a piece of jewelry like Sauron's. Morgoth's influence and power circled the whole of Arda.

Fantasy Moon,
That does sound interesting! If I wan't printing and launching a book (and writing the sequel) at the moment I would hunt down a copy. Oh well, I may have time around Christmas ....

I most recently bought Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Stories by Arthur Conan Doyle. I've always wanted to read the original stories so I thought I'd give it a shot, as it wasn't very expensive, and so far I'm not regretting my decision one bit :)

To the Last Man by Jeff Shaara
The Wilson Plot by David Leigh
The Ethical Assassin by David Liss
Brandenburg Gate by Henry Porter
Checkpoint Charlie and the Wall by Werner Sikorski and Rainer Laabs
Ben-Hur by Lew Wallace

@Fantasy Moon
No, I haven't! I came across Lord of the Rings (one book) just before exam week at Cambridge and sat up all night reading it and into the dawn. I was so thrilled with it I began all over again, but slowly! I then had no time and since just forgot he did others. Though real that's no excuse as I have read the full three books several times!

@Fantasy Moon
No, I haven't! I came across Lord of the Rings (one book) just before exam week at Cambridge and sat up all night reading it and into the dawn. I was so thrilled with it I began all over again, but slowly! I then had no time and since just forgot he did others. Though real that's no excuse as I have read the full three books several times!

When my Father finished reading the Hobbit aloud when I was little, I asked him to read it again. He handed it it me and told me to read it aloud. It took me a year, I was 5 years old.

@PrincessFiona60
That made me smile. Because we moved a lot, including from country to country, I often went for long periods without formal schooling. We were living in Mexico, near Chapala, and I was full of 'whys' especially about spiritual things. My father handed me a book by Emmett Fox, I think it was the Sermon on the Mount. It also took my a long time, but it made such sense to me! I read all his books and I know they and many other great books have had some part in making me who I am. Some by bringing out what was already there, and others by making me figure out why it was my gut feeling didn't go along with what it said.
I admit that I don't have time for grim stories now, no horrors (fact or fiction), but peoples stories, from Little house in the big woods and the Diary of Ann Frank to Schindler's List, Lace on my long john's, and Peter the Great have all had a little input, have all made me think.

Have finished reading Vince Flynn's Transfer of Power about a plot by a very clever terrorist to take over the White House and capture the president. It's an exciting tale, well written, with lots of suspense and political manoeuvering. I thoroughly enjoyed it. :star4:

yea I read this one a few months back. I enjoyed as well.
A few weeks ago I picked up the second in the Mitch Rapp series The Third Option. I'll be starting this one soon.

Back