• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

The Spring of Autumn

I just purchased, The Spring of Autumn. It's a really good read. A modern Romance tale. It made me laugh, cry, and angered me, at points. It's available on Amazon.com/Kindle Books. For those without a Kindle you can download a free app for reading on your laptop/PC. Read it, you will like it; or not.

Borrowed would be the Fisher Helen Anatomia del Amor.
Reading right now would be Temeraire His majesty's dragon, which is an excellent book if you need to browse constantly to understand several phrases, games and terms and the Fall of the Roman Republic (mainly for ideas of how to build a city).

I started reading again in Free Books 1632 from Eric Flint (it is so-so but I so love a story of almost High-fantasy with modern weaponry) and a 1962 version of Sherlock Holmes than I need to return to a friend of mine I haven't seen in like 2 years.

Even the Dogs by Jon McGregor. For some difficult reading after the fluff. Impac prize winner, too.

Ancrene Wisse - Ed. by Geoffrey Shepherd

With a Daughter's Eye - Mary Catherine Bateson. "A Memoir of Margaret Mead and Gregory Bateson."

The Man Who Changed the Way We Eat - Thomas McNamee. "Craig Claiborne and the American Food Renaissance"

Beyond Black by Hilary Mantel

A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel

Never Look Away
by Linwood Barclay

The Map of True Places
by Brunonia Barry

The Birth of Classical Europe by Simon Price and Peter Thonemann

The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Visited our favorite indie book store on the Gulf Coast today, came back with some goodies.

Destruction and Reconstruction by Richard Taylor, Lieutenant - General in the Confederate Army - edited by Richard Harwell

Germans of Louisiana by Ellen C. Merrill

Giotto's Hand by Iain Pears

The Giant O'Brien by Hilary Mantel

One of the neat things about Bay Books, Bay St. Louis, Ms. is that he carries a great selection of new books, but also has several bookcases full of second hand books.

Where I'm Calling From - Raymond Carver

Even the Dogs - Jon McGregor

The Case of the Screaming Woman - Erle Stanley Gardner.

The Case of the Nervous Accomplice - Erle Stanley Gardner.

Music: A Design for Listening - Homer Ulrich.

Is that a textbook?

That might be one way to think of it, but the author says "It is for any person who wishes to derive lasting benefit from their musical experiences." So I would call it "music appreciation," rather than "how to play." It covers the development of music from early to late, with detailed discussions of composers illustrated with passages from their music. Quite by chance, it looks like the best appreciation book I have come across so far.

That might be one way to think of it, but the author says "It is for any person who wishes to derive lasting benefit from their musical experiences." So I would call it "music appreciation," rather than "how to play." It covers the development of music from early to late, with detailed discussions of composers illustrated with passages from their music. Quite by chance, it looks like the best appreciation book I have come across so far.

Sure sounds like a textbook to me.

My music appreciation class din't have a textbook. Just a tape we had to get.

Well, Sparky, perhaps we are calling the same thing by different names. Don't know what else to say.

Day of Infamy - Walter Lord.

The Sea Wolf - Jack London.

The Crypto Conundrum - Chase Brandon.

The Map of Time - Felix Palma.

The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Safon.

Electronic Literature - N. Katherine Hayles (with collection on CD). Supposedly "a synthesis of the research in the field as a whole, and in this sense the best possible critical overview that is currently available" of what is called "an emerging genre."

We shall see. Next on TBR.

Back