• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Today I picked up a copy of The complete Sherlock Homes By Sir Arther Conan Doyle! I read a few stories last year, didn't think I would like it, but I was really enamoured by the language that he uses in the homes stories and found the stories themselves very interesting and exciting! Homes is a very fascinating character.

I got at it at the "every book £2 shop" :D

Okay, I'm still curious what Ali thought about Michael Herr's Dispatches, and did Linguana actually make it through all that Jane Austen...

* The Great Rehearsal by Carl Van Doren
* Eastern Approaches by "Sir" Fitzroy Maclean
* The Fate of the Earth by Jonathan Schell
* Brazilian Adventure by Peter Fleming (Yes, that Peter Fleming)
* Bobos in Paradise by David Brooks (For any of you across the pond with a secret, burning desire to know more about the American upper middle class)

Got some books today!

War and Peace - Tolstoy
Wind up Bird Chronicles - Haruki Murakami
Black Jewels Trilogy - Anne Bishop

:)

The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Now is the Time to Open Your Heart - Alice Walker
House of Leaves - Mark Danielewski

Terry Brooks- "The Sword of Shannara" (FINALLY!)
Meg Cabot- "Shadow Gate"
Meg Cabot- "The Ninth Key"
Meg Cabot- "Reunion"
Meg Cabot- "The Darkest Hour"

Found these books really cheap, so I had to buy them..

Tolstoy - Anna Karenina
Dickens - Great Expectations
Conan Doyle - The Lost World & other Stories
Shakespear - Othello
Shakespear - A Midsummer Night's Dream
Shakespear - King Lear
Shakespear - Macbeth

WOW! Great stuff! You made out good finding all those cheap! :)

No fair :p

No more weevle infested ship biscuits for you!

Well I wouldn't say I purchased these, but I did pay a visit to the library.

Well after the travesty that was Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix (yes it did finally get going somewhere between pages 250 and 300, but apart from creating a great character who you loved to hate [Umbridge] nothing much really happened), I acquired the following:

• A Child Called It - Dave Peltzer
  • Ghostwritten - David Mitchell (though the author seems to have written in a similar sort of weirdness to Neal Stephenson and Grant Morrison)
  • Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
  • Vernon God Little - DBC Pierre

Drowned Moon - a short story collection by Glenn Blake, one of my college profs. I loaned it to someone ages ago and never got it back, so I was happy to see it again.

I bought:

Samuel Pepys: The Unequalled Self by Claire Tomalin
WHo Invented Hitler - David Lewis
Sex Crimes - Steven Naphy
Book one of the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hood
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas

I had to take Sex Ccrimes back though as it was a dud book and started at page 33 so I got me money back.

Yesterday I bought:

The Sunday Wife by Cassandra King
Catering to Nobody by Diane Mott Davidson

I'm probably going to read Catering to Nobody first - I'm in the mood for a good mystery, and I hope this one lives up to it! This book is the first in a series of several mystery books by Diane Mott Davidson.

This weekends charity shop buys...
The Hobbit - Tolkien
Coma - Robin Cook
Salem's Lot - Stephen King
Cujo - Stephen King
The Magic Cottage - James Herbert
The Virgin Suicides - Jeffrey Eugenides
Dracula - Bram Stoker
And a League of Gentlemen book :D

Still recovering from my last charity shop expedition, got 7 books last time and have 2 left to read from that lot. So... cheap.... :rolleyes:

direstraits said:
Raven...

You've been stocking on Robin Hobb, I see. I suppose that means you liked her first book enough to keep buying them? How do they compare to say, GRRM? Or is she like Eddings?

ds

Sorry it took so long for my response. I guess it's been a while since I've looked at this thread.

Indeed, I did enjoy my first Hobb book. It's much more simple than GRRM, but I liked it enough to continue buying her work. (I've only read her first and have since bought 8 others). Anything would be hard pressed to stand up to GRRM though. (IMO)

It's been too many years since I've read any Eddings and really can't remember enough to compare them. What I do remember wasn't that impressive to me though.

Since last posting on this thread I've bought the hardbacks ....

Harlequin, Heretic, Vagabond,& Gallows Thief- Bernard Cornwell
The Iron Grail- Robert Holdstock
The Knight, & The Wizard- Gene Wolfe
Royal Assassin- Robin Hobb
Bloodguilty- Raymond Thor
The Soul Thief- Cecelia Holland
Burnt Sienna- David Morrell
A Song of Stone- Iain Banks
The Taking, & Life Expectancy- Dean Koontz
The Phantom of the Opera- Gaston Leroux
Shadowmancer- G.P.Taylor
Ash: A Secret History- Mary Gentle

I've read quite a few good things about the Mary Gentle book and am undecided about reading it or Royal Assassin next.
As you can see, I have the same problem as everyone else here. Too many books and not enough time.

RaVeN

RaVeN said:
Sorry it took so long for my response. I guess it's been a while since I've looked at this thread.

Indeed, I did enjoy my first Hobb book. It's much more simple than GRRM, but I liked it enough to continue buying her work. (I've only read her first and have since bought 8 others). Anything would be hard pressed to stand up to GRRM though. (IMO)

It's been too many years since I've read any Eddings and really can't remember enough to compare them. What I do remember wasn't that impressive to me though.
Ah, better late than never, my friend. Good to hear from your after your long hiatus. Our fantasy reads/interests are pretty similar - we both like GRRM, weren't really impressed with Eddings, and I'm now actually reading Perdido Street Station. I'll try Hobb... I'll probably enjoy it too.

RaVeN said:
The Iron Grail- Robert Holdstock
Have you read Holdstock's Mythago Wood? What did you think of it?

RaVeN said:
The Knight, & The Wizard- Gene Wolfe
Damn, I can't find these two anywhere!

ds

I read Mythago wood and also the sequel. There is a third book in the cycle that I REALLY would very much like to get around to reading. Mythago wood is one of my fave all time novels! :)

Raven, for the record I hated ASH: A secret history. It's probably just me though. I just don't like her writing. There is something about her writing that I just can't get into. All her novels sound GREAT to me but when I come to try and read them they just bore me to death. For me, her characters are really 2 dimensional. Take ASH, just think Xena. She swears and spits and fights. Wooah, yeah, great characterisation there :rolleyes: It's possible to do a tough woman warrior without resorting to stupid clichés. I have tried to read two other books by her and the same result. I end up putting them down. I have a novel here that I have tried to read 3 times now because the idea is SO good but the novel just bores me. I'll be interested to hear what you think of her and the novel. So don't be a stranger on the forum :p :)

direstraits said:
Have you read Holdstock's Mythago Wood? What did you think of it?

No. This will be my first Holdstock. I heard good things about it and Celtika, so thought I'd give him a try. Same with Wolfe, as far as that goes.

And Wabbit, I wish you'd told me that before I shelled out $80 on Ash. :rolleyes: I still have high hopes for it though. I'll let you know what I think when (or if) I get to it.

RaVeN

Lots of people really love ASH so don't worry about it. I'm sure you will like it. The reviews it got were all in high priase of the novel and it has won awards. As I said, it's just me. I can't get into her writing style :)

Ah, apologies... I had mistakenly thought that Iron Grail was the sequel to Mythago Wood.

Wabbit, the third book is called Gate of Ivory, Gate of Horn. I can't remember the story to Mythago Wood very well - read it about 10 years ago. I do remember the ending - it wrenched my heart.

ds

Back