• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

murphyz

Tell us what books you have recently purchased so we can look at you in awe, or laugh and point at you for buying tripe.

For me:
Yann Martel - Life of Pi
Malorie Blackman - Noughts and Crosses
Alice Sebold - The Lovely Bones
Charles Dickens - Bleak House (Everyman's Library Edition)
PG Wodehouse - Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit (Everyman's Wodehouse Edition)

Mxx

Laughs and points!! :p Oh, wait, those are all quite good arent they :(

For me, i havnt bought a book since my summer hols, but here's what i bought then whilst at the airport :p

Prey by Michael Crichton (in paperback, i already had the hardback!)
One Hit Wonderland by Tony Hawks
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
Can you keep a secret? by Sophie Kinsella (Ha ha, tripe!!! But then it was for my girlfriend, not me!! Honest! ;) )

Mostly ive recently been reading all my Mums old books (Dune by Frank Herbert, Magician by Raymond E. Feist), rather than buying my own!

Phil

On my last visit to Waterstone’s I purchased:

(Fiction)
Oryx & Crake…………….. Margaret Atwood
Vernon God Little………… DBC Pierre
The Alchemist……………. Paulo Coehlo
Life of Pi…………………. Yann Martel
Mr Candid………………… Jules Hardy

(Biography/Memior)
Dispatches………………… Micheal Herr

I've just started Life of Pi for a book group, and next monrh should be Oryx and Crake, so will get that too.

I would be interested in your thoughts on the Alchemist when you have read it.

Mxx

I am reading Oryx & Crake just now, Life of Pi is next up!

I thought The Alchemist was a great read. I found it to be one of those rare books that i just could not put down. I see Coehlo's writing has come in for some criticism, and also the books ending. I have no complaints about either. The story ended exactly as it should have in my opinion. The last three lines of the book could bring a tear to a glass eye.

The Alchemist is definate'ly a book i will read again!

Have you read it Murphy? If so what did you make of it?

EDIT: The Alchemist discussion continues here - Mxx

Elegance - Kathleen Tessaro (purchased because it looks cool (black edged pages) and because a friend of mine has the original book it's based on, so I can read that too.

Mxx

Here are my recent buys:
It's a long way from Penny Apples by Bill Cullen
(Another Irish memoir I guess, and I love them. Although this one could be not so sour)
Star of the Sea by Joseph O'Connor
Amsterdam by Ian McEwan
Les Cavaliers (The Riders?) by Joseph Kessel
La Traviatta by Stephanie Janicot (Young French writer)
One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd by Jim Fergus
But I've forbidden myself to read any for the time being, I have to read all my library and lent books...

My recent purchases of note:
The Flanders Panel by Arturo Perez-Reverte
Out of the Flames by Lawrence & Nancy Goldstone
The Tower at the End of the World & The Beast Under the Wizard's Bridge by Brad Strickland
and a stack of used mystery paperbacks about 2 feet tall.

I've just bought Night Watch by Terry Pratchett, which I'm looking forward to starting when I get a free moment. :)

I nearly bought 'The Lovely Bones' by Alice Sebold when my mind said to me 'well you've got too many books at home' and then I rush out of the shop. I am glad I didn't buy one! Phew!!

Kaz, you sound like me. :D Hard to resist buying ever more books!

I sometimes make myself sit in the car -reading a book- while my husband goes into the bookstore.

Oh, what it would be like to show such restraint - I wish that I could show the same amount of level of self control.

My Bank must seriously be considering changing my monthly statements to now read, on official headed paper, 'Waterstones Invoice'.

I intend my next purchases to be Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood, and Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre - winner of the Man Booker for 2003.

Mxx

My recent purchases were:
Magician, Silverthorn and Darkness at Sethanon by Raymond Feist
The Lovely Bones - Alice Seabold
After you were gone - Maggie O'Farrell
1984 - George Orwell

Murphyz - what did you think of The Lovely Bones? I thought it was a really unusual, beautifully written book. It inspired me to read Lucky - her autobiography - which was also very good.

I haven't read it yet...although it's quite near the top of my 'to read' list. I need to read Dracula and Life of Pi this month for book groups, then I will probably read Noughs and Crosses, then next months group read of Oryx and Crake - and then, hopefully, The Lovely Bones.

Shall let you know though.

Mxx

I just got a B&N gift card, so I splurged on The Jewish Book of Why and Peter Mayle's Acquired Tastes.

My most recent purchases - well I am really trying to cut down on that, however it's not working out too well
I last bought "way the crow flies" by AnneMarie MacDonald - I am actually going to see her next week, she's coming to the city to discuss her book, or whatever they discuss at one of the these things.
Before that, I bought
Killing Hour - Lisa Gardner - pretty good, not as good as her earlier books
Lost - Joy Fielding - also good, the ending was not quite what I wanted, but a good read
and a chick novel "Just Between Us" by Cathy Kelly - never read one of hers, just an impulse buy

I just took my yearly pilgrimage to the local University Women's Club book sale and bought the following for $2 each (all hardcover, btw):
  • The First Circle - Alexander Solzhenitsyn
  • Russka - Edward Rutherford
  • The Lyre of Orpheus - Robertson Davies
  • Fall On Your Knees - Anne Marie MacDonald
  • We Were The Mulvaneys - Joyce Carol Oates
  • Canterbury Tales - Geoffrey Chaucer
  • The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
  • The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham
  • Kon Tiki - Thor Heyerdahl
I'm particulary happy finding Kon-Tiki, Canterbury Tales and The Day of the Triffids because they are all older hardback versions of dearly beloved favourites. Kon-Tiki, especially, was a book I read in high school that left an indelible impression on me.

There's still another day left at the sale, so I may just have to go back! :D

Back