• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Litany said:
I'm a bit like that chap in the fast show who'd be sent out for specific things by his wife and come home with completely random items. Except I always come back with books. I have to try again today.

I know what you mean.

Whenever (and that doesn't happen often, because I hate it...) I go out to buy clothes. I often end up with a book or two in stead. :eek:

It seems so much easier. You don't have to try it on, for one - and you don't have to look at yourself in the mirror in that ghastly light. :eek:

But then, you still have to get that outfit for that birthday party... :rolleyes:

Hobitten

you guys are lucky

i used to work at my favourite book shop and now i can't browse anymore! The staff know me and come to talk to me, which is nice, but sometimes you just want to browse incognito. Mind you they've run the shop into the ground, grr head office, might as well be a wh smiths now.

as a consequence i tend to buy books on a mission, my reading list is still massive 4 yrs after leaving the book trade and i've still got a pile of proofs to trawl through! and them pesky authors just won't stop writing.

mind you litany's given me a couple of titles that i'll have to hunt down, and the follow up to Death and the Penguin - Andrey Kurkov is out so that needs a purchase too.

ksky

Today is my day off and I've yet to leave the house so I'm safe from the bookstores (so far). But that didn't stop me from feeding my addiction, no sireee. After doing a liitle more research I caved in and bought The Wasp Factory by Ian Banks via Ebay.
I called the man holding the auction to give him my credit card info and he remarked that The WF had been an ocassional seller, a copy here and there, but he's sold a half dozen this week. Makes me wonder if there are others on here that were feeding their addiction as well???

RaVeN

RaVeN, if you're reading The Wasp Factory any time soon, let me give you a bit of advice.

Brace yourself.

Cheers, Martin :D

Ah, the dawn of a new month....I just purchased four cozy mysteries (I'm now in the cozy mystery mood). Two used, two new....all new authors to me.

Now i did warn them, i really did, but the Powers That Be (TM), saw fit to deliver me & Ice in WHSmiths with their spankingly good 3 for 2 on ALL books thing, so we couldnt help ourselves!! (We bought some books too, but thats another story ;))

So, we ended up trailing over to the counter looking sheepish with nine books in our arms ..... wanna know how much they cost ... £30 ;) Bargain!!, you my think ... Adding Up Error, you should definately think :) Anyway, we queried it with the guy at the counter, who assured us he had scanned the lot - so we paid and quickly sidled from the shop before security could descend!!

I digress, anyway, heres the books :D

The Scar - China Mieville
The Neutronium Alchemist - Peter F. Hamilton
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time - Mark Haddon
The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks
Northern Lights - Philip Pullman
Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood

And Ice got ... one that i can remember and a couple that i cant

Talon of the Silver Hawk by Raymond E. Feist (which i'll definately be reading when i get the chance :))

Thats All Folks

Phil

I've been really good and hardly purchased anything in the last couple of weeks, got these about 3 1/2 weeks ago

From a second hard book stall
The Sigma Protocol - Robert Ludlum
Hidden Empire - Kevin J Anderson
Liberty - Stephen Coonts
All excellent quality but overpriced none the less

From Mother-in-Law
The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
Yep I'll join the rest of the book reading world and read this at some stage.

From Ebay
Inversions - Iain M Banks
So hard to find second hand book by Banks, guess they are regarded as keepers, not throw / give aways, exchangers or sellers.

However I have just won a couple of bids on ebay
Edgar Rice Burroughs

1. Swords of Mars / Synthetic Men of Mars
2. Thuvia, Maid of Mars / Chessmen of Mars
3. Llana of Gathol / John Carter of Mars

Katherine Kurtz

1. The Chronicles of the Deryni
1. Deryni Rising
2. Deryni Checkmate
3. High Deryni

2. The Legends of Camber of Culdi
1. Camber of Culdi
2. Saint Camber
3. Camber the Heretic

3. The Histories of King Kelson
1. The Bishop's Heir
2. The King's Justice
3. The Quest for Saint Camber

The whole lot for AUS$17.55, plus post, probably AUS$10-15 at most. I'm happy

ERmmm utter rubbish on my latest purchase:
5 books in the Casey Jones Mystery series by Katy Munger
2 romantic vampire stories by Lynsay Sands... a nice couple of weeks of easy reading :)

I hooked up with a friend from work today and we went to a large used bookstore. I bought:

Walking on Glass by Iain Banks
News of a Kidnapping by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Demon Device by Robert Saffron
The Rise of Endymion by Dan Simons

Now all I have to do is by the 3 prior books in the Simons series. :rolleyes:

Afterward we went to a pizza place down the road and compared our winnings. It was a great afrenoon until we both had to go to work from there. :(

RaVeN

i hope you enjoy the "walking on glass" will be interested in your comments.

i may make some purchases this weekend end in the kurkov area. the newly released sequel to death and the penguin is a must buy! mind you i bought survivor so maybe it's breaks on *must resist purchasing new books*

ksky

I read News of a Kidnapping, found it very intriguing. Amazing that Marquez is so versatile.

Have forbidden myself to buy anything new, am having a hard enough time trying to figure out what to take with me for my 5 day vacation. :rolleyes:

Recently purchased:

Howard Marks autobiography
Papillon - Henri Charriere
The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

Today I spent an hour practicing the fine art of garage saleing.I wonder if that's strictly an American custom? Anyway, for the paltry sum of $6 I picked up these 8 hardbacks.

The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker
Rusalka and Chernevog by C.J.Cherryh
Post-Mortem by Patricia Cornwell
The Black Throne by Roger Zelazny & Fred Saberhagen
The Bell Witch by Brent Monahan
That's Not All Folks by Mel Blanc & Philip Bashe
The Vision by Dean Koontz

I all ready had the Koontz book but for 50 cents thought I could use it as a trade in at one of the used book stores.

RaVeN

AH! Rusalka is a great book. I really loved that book :) Will you let me know what you thought of it? Great and Secret Show was exellent!

Regards
SillyWabbit

SillyWabbit said:
AH! Rusalka is a great book. I really loved that book :) Will you let me know what you thought of it? Great and Secret Show was exellent!

Regards
SillyWabbit

I really think it's time to curb some of my buying habits untill I catch up on my reading. By the size of my TBR pile I'll be busy long into my next life.

One of these months though I'll let you know what I thought of Rusalka. (love it's cover BTW)

RaVeN

SillyWabbit said:
AH! Rusalka is a great book. I really loved that book :)
What is this "rusalka" thing, Silly Wabbit? Is it the character's name? Sounds very weird to me.

It's a book by C.J Cherryh :) It's a fantasy book, but not your typical. There are not elfs of dwarfs in this. It's set in old time Russia. A boy and a man who is in a little bit of trouble run from town. They end in in a vast forest that is reputed to be the home of monsters and all manner of strange things. Starving and tired they encounter a small wooden cottage where their lives a very strange old man.

Bascially, it's a ghost/magic story set in a vast woodland setting. Very good. I have read it at least six times. AT LEAST :) There is a sequel ( that can be read on it's on. Rusalka is self contained ) I did not like the sequel as much. It was ok but not really needed as the first book said all it needed.

I liked Rusalka because it was a little different from most fantasy. The fact it was set in Russia and full of Russian mythology was interesting to me :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

PS: Forgot lol Rusalka is from Russian myth. It refers to the a vengeful female spirit :)

SillyWabbit said:
PS: Forgot lol Rusalka is from Russian myth. It refers to the a vengeful female spirit :)
lol...
I asked you about "rusalka" because it's a Polish word (it is written "rusałka" correctly) for a living-in-lakes female spirit from our mythology, and, as the authors name didn't sound middle-European to me, I thought it was just a funny coincidence - that someone invented a word which already exists. I wonder why the translators didn't find an English word for a rusalka.

Yes, you are right, it's exactly the same thing in the book :) I guess they kept the name because it was a more romantic sounding name? Plus, we don't have a name for female spirits that inhabit the water!

Regards
SillyWabbit

Back