• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently purchased DVDs

Received from Amazon today:
  • Italian for Beginners, recommended by someone here)
  • Wilbur Wants to Kill Himself, because it was mentioned on the Italian for Beginners page, and because I remember someone here (Stewart, most likely, purchasing it)
  • Simon Birch, because it's my favourite film, probably.
  • My Cousin Vinny, because someone IRL told me to buy it.
  • The Cook, the Thief, his Wife and her Lover, just because.
  • Amelie, another favourite.
  • The Evil Dead.
  • Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring.

The last DVDs I bought were:

• Three Colours Red
  • Three Colours Blue
  • Three Colours White
Ooh, they are fabulous! I have Lady Vengeance too, you watch it and tell us if it's any good.

beer good said:
- The Machinist
I thought this was fantastic. I kept asking everyone for months and months after seeing it, if they'd seen it.

Good to see Bava getting some love in this thread.

Bava was an Italian Horror master, much like Argento. Fulci... not so much, in my opinion, as his movies were essentially a test of how much gore could be impacted into 90 minutes. Twitch Of The Death Nerve remains one of my all time favorites, as is the film it inspired, Friday the 13th.

Good to see another horror junkie on the board.

I don't own any of Bava's dvds, but I've seen several of his movies and always enjoyed them. I have several Fulci titles: Don't Torture a Duckling, The Beyond, Zombie, and City of the Living Dead and I've seen almost all of Argento's works, but the only one I own is Susperia.

Susperia.

Which is the greatest Italian horror film ever made (in my opinion). Suspiria is one of the most atmospheric movies I've ever seen, and remains one of the most colorful of all time. End ramble - I'm just really fervent that I'm not the only horror film junkie here. :D

His use of color is very effective in that film. It's really not that scary, but very surreal at times, and man, is it something to look at. As far as my favorite spaghetti horror films, I would probably go with the following:

Susperia
Zombie
The Beyond
Cannibal Holocaust

Lenny! I totally forgot to tell you...
In April 2007's Playboy, they have this piece: "Rob Zombie's Grind House 101"
"Rent these 5 classics before you see the Tarantino-Rodriguez blockbuster"

So, Zombie's 5:
  1. Ilsa, She Wolfe of the SS (1975)
  2. Coffy (1973)
  3. The Last House on the Left (1972)
  4. Cannibal Holocaust (1980) - "This is by far the most extreme movie ever made. It's just...sickening. I remember watching it in some gross theater, and I just couldn't believe what I was seeing."
  5. Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! (1965)

The 2006 film 'Crash'.

If you haven't seen this one...you must. Unbelievable. I cried during the scene where the cop crawls into the wrecked car...and I'm a reasonably tough guy. (lol)

Lenny! I totally forgot to tell you...
In April 2007's Playboy, they have this piece: "Rob Zombie's Grind House 101"
"Rent these 5 classics before you see the Tarantino-Rodriguez blockbuster"

So, Zombie's 5:
  1. Ilsa, She Wolfe of the SS (1975)
  2. Coffy (1973)
  3. The Last House on the Left (1972)
  4. Cannibal Holocaust (1980) - "This is by far the most extreme movie ever made. It's just...sickening. I remember watching it in some gross theater, and I just couldn't believe what I was seeing."
  5. Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! (1965)
Nice list! I own 1,3, and 4. I wouldn't call Cannibal Holocaust the most extreme movie ever made but out of all those Italian cannibal movies, and there were quite a few, it's the most well made and probably the most effective and nihilistic. I've got the 2 disc SE of it, and on the second disc there's an interview with the only American actor that was in the movie and his stories about the making of it make it sound like he came back from Vietnam and not a movie shoot, it's insane what went on during the making of it. The director, Ruggero Deodato, sounds like an out of control maniac.

The 2006 film 'Crash'.

If you haven't seen this one...you must. Unbelievable. I cried during the scene where the cop crawls into the wrecked car...and I'm a reasonably tough guy. (lol)

Yes, great movie. I saw it for the first time in January. My boyfriend and I discussed how it was interesting to see Sandra Bullock outside of a romantic comedy.

But yes, makes one reflect on their own prejudices...

This quote stood out to me: They think we're Arab. When did Persian become Arab?

Picked up Bob Roberts yesterday. Haven't seen that one in ages. Here's hoping it will feel less realistic 10+ years on, but I'm not hopeful...

Fulci... not so much, in my opinion, as his movies were essentially a test of how much gore could be impacted into 90 minutes.

Fulci is over the top, agreed, but it seems to me there's a certain bleak viciousness to his work that I (yes, I'm a bit sick that way I guess) really enjoy, directed not so much towards the characters as towards the viewers. Most horror directors - at least most US/UK ones - seem to basically be on our side; the monsters might get us, but they want us to at least hope the good guys will prevail. Fulci on the other hand seems to want humanity to lose, and he wants his viewers to think that we're inevitably going to. Gotta respect that.

My boyfriend and I are currently working our way through the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series, so the fourth season of that was a recent buy. We also got Benny and Joon, my favorite movie.

I never buy dvd's, don't see the point. Blueray is here now which will send dvd's down the video road to obscurity. :rolleyes:

But I do rent them and my last rental was 'Children of Men' and the next one to watch is 'The Queen'.

I just bought The Holiday. I rented it in a weak moment and then forgot to return it. At this point it was cheaper for me to pay for the loss than for all the late fees. This is why I do not rent movies. Ever.

I never buy dvd's, don't see the point. Blueray is here now which will send dvd's down the video road to obscurity. :rolleyes:

But I do rent them and my last rental was 'Children of Men' and the next one to watch is 'The Queen'.

The Queen is an excellent movie. I bought it and watched it last week.

I just bought The Holiday. I rented it in a weak moment and then forgot to return it. At this point it was cheaper for me to pay for the loss than for all the late fees. This is why I do not rent movies. Ever.

Same with me. I always returned rentals late, so finally I decided to just buy dvds. They're not that expensive, really.

Visited one of my favourite DVD stores the other day and picked up:
Cannibal Holocaust
The Office UK - Complete series box set
The Frankenstein Legacy Collection box set (Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Son of Frankenstein, Ghost of Frankenstein, House of Frankenstein)
Goodbye Lenin
Catch 22
Withnail and I (20th Anniversary edition 3-disc set)

Not a bad haul for about $70.

TV series: 'Combat'
Four disks. Thought it was quite the score until I realized there are a total of 44 disks in the series.

Okay show, but not worth buying all 44. Watching Joan Hackett play a French girl was pretty funny. Her French accent was well...ahem.

Same with me. I always returned rentals late, so finally I decided to just buy dvds. They're not that expensive, really.

I get them used from the movie rental store. They end up very cheap that way. I have to wait a while to see stuff, but there isn't often something I am dying for.

I get them used from the movie rental store. They end up very cheap that way. I have to wait a while to see stuff, but there isn't often something I am dying for.
Ooh! That's what I do. Sometimes buying them turn out to be cheaper than renting them or just as much. I like the 5 for 20 deals... not bad! And why not buy DVDs? I like watching things over and over and over...

Back