• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently purchased DVDs

Today I picked up X-Files Season 3 & my boyfriend bought Season 1 & 4. They're still on sale. The X-Files is my favorite television show of all time. Can't get enough of Mulder & Scully.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 2

Picked up Buffy: Season two (my favorite season)... all seasons on sale at Best Buy for $15.99. Yay!

Picked up some good Japanese cult stuff recently:

Horrors of Malformed Men ~ based on several novels by Edogawa Rampo, Japan's most popular 20th century writer of horror/mystery. Basically a murder mystery combined with a Dr. Moreau-type story but people found it's depiction of deformed people(very taboo in Japan) so disturbing, it's only had a handful of screenings since it's 1969 debut. Blows my mind that it's finally available on region 1 dvd in pristine condition no less.

Flower and Snake ~ the original 1974 film based on the Oniroku Dan(Japan's most celebrated smutty author) S&M novel of the same name, starring the stunning Naomi Tani. Spawned several sequels and remakes.

Rica ~ great "girl boss" film about a female gangs and their struggles against yakuza and political corruption. Filled with over the top violence and some bizarre cabaret numbers. Must be seen to be believed.

Crimes of Passion ~ Kathleen Turner(at her most fearless) plays a career woman by day/hooker by night being stalked by a psychotic priest and wooed by a married man in this Ken Russell film. Not as outrageous as it sounds, still a lot of the sex scenes had to be trimmed to get an R when originally released.

Picked up some good Japanese cult stuff recently:

Horrors of Malformed Men ~ based on several novels by Edogawa Rampo, Japan's most popular 20th century writer of horror/mystery. Basically a murder mystery combined with a Dr. Moreau-type story but people found it's depiction of deformed people(very taboo in Japan) so disturbing, it's only had a handful of screenings since it's 1969 debut. Blows my mind that it's finally available on region 1 dvd in pristine condition no less.

Flower and Snake ~ the original 1974 film based on the Oniroku Dan(Japan's most celebrated smutty author) S&M novel of the same name, starring the stunning Naomi Tani. Spawned several sequels and remakes.

Rica ~ great "girl boss" film about a female gangs and their struggles against yakuza and political corruption. Filled with over the top violence and some bizarre cabaret numbers. Must be seen to be believed.

Crimes of Passion ~ Kathleen Turner(at her most fearless) plays a career woman by day/hooker by night being stalked by a psychotic priest and wooed by a married man in this Ken Russell film. Not as outrageous as it sounds, still a lot of the sex scenes had to be trimmed to get an R when originally released.

Awesome Lenny... I want to check out the Kathleen Turner one. 1984, right?

I remember seeing this one, years ago. Pretty explicit for a big-name thriller, as I recall. Tony Perkins does a pretty good job - he plays the psycho, obviously. Is the DVD uncut?

Awesome Lenny... I want to check out the Kathleen Turner one. 1984, right?
Yes, that's the one. Check her out in Body Heat too.
Tony Perkins does a pretty good job - he plays the psycho, obviously. Is the DVD uncut?
Perkins gives a very over the top performance in this, which is par for the course for a Russell film, and yes the dvd is the unrated, uncut version.

Who Can Kill a Child? ~ an amazing Spanish horror film from the early 70's. A vacationing couple visit a remote island off the coast of Spain to find that the children have murdered all the adults. Ominous and suspenseful with a great ending. Even more incredible is that the whole thing is shot under a blazing sun. This has become one of my fave 70's horror flicks.

Black Emanuelle's Box Vol 2 ~ contains Black Emanuelle/White Emanuelle, Black Emanuelle 2, and Emanuelle and the White Slave Trade. Laura Gemser stars in them, what else needs to be said?:D

Legends of the Poisonous Seductress Trilogy ~ 3 great samurai/revenge movies with Junko Miyazono kicking ass through all three.

Caligula ~ the Imperial edition. Features a new restored print of the sleaze classic. As Helen Mirren puts it, 'a strange mix of history and genitalia'. What other movie will you see her be lead around on a leash in?

Blade Runner ~ the new box set is heaven in a box. For the first time you can actually see the detail in the backgrounds. The dvd release of the 2007.

Technically I didn't purchase these since they were Christmas gifts, but I received the following:
Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Vol. 1
Sealab 2021 Vol. 1 & 2
And a few "adult" videos which I will refrain from naming.:eek:

Here's what I got for the holidays:
X-Files Season 5
X-Files Season 6
The Princess Bride (20th Anniversary Edition) - came with a Fezzik T-Shirt
Rob Zombie's Halloween
Hostel: Part II
Far & Away
Audrey Hepburn collection: Sabrina, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Roman Holiday

What I got my boyfriend:
Blade Runner (Five-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition)
Kids in the Hall Season 1

What my boyfriend got (so they're kind of like mine too :p ):
Blood Simple
Raising Arizona
Fargo

Fresh Prince of Bel-Air Seasons 1,2,3
Riddick Trilogy

Libra6Poe said:
The Princess Bride (20th Anniversary Edition) - came with a Fezzik T-Shirt
My favorite movie of all time! Did the 20th Ann. Ed. have any extras that are worthwhile? That was the first DVD I ever owned, so my copy is rather dated and has no extra footage.

My favorite movie of all time! Did the 20th Ann. Ed. have any extras that are worthwhile? That was the first DVD I ever owned, so my copy is rather dated and has no extra footage.
I still haven't checked 'em out!!! :( But I'll get back to you when I do. ;)

Here's what it says on the box:
  • True Love & High Adventure: The Official Prince Bride DVD Game
  • Princess Bride: The Untold Tales Featurette
  • The Art of Fencing Featurette
  • Fairy Tales and Folklore Featurette
  • A Twice Told Tale: The reversible storybook with two versions of The Princess Bride story

Beerwench, I too would like to be PMed on those adult titles.

Back