• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recommend a very good (semi-)obscure fantasy/sf book

Celestial Matters by Richard Garfinkle

7uDN1Cl3aHwBgNsGMQWsO781Lic2UZE80p0jo=

being a bit green in this area, i am not sure i can add anything to the discussion, but don't want to miss it either, so i had to be sure to get subscribed to this post!

Another author that I love but most of my friends have never heard of is Raymond E. Feist.
Rien... Raymond E Feist is not obscure... he's like one of the biggest names in fantasy being published right now. :) However, he's not my cup of tea. I've read him and found him, uhm, frustrating.

Not that that's the point - it's not obscure! Try again! No virtual smack for you though... for now. [evil laugh]

ds

Not only "obscure" but almost devoid of the usual sf or fantasy trappings, here's what Library Journal calls "what may be the first rock n roll time-travel novel. Ray Chackleford is a self-employed electronics repairman whose marriage is foundering and whose father has recently died. These unresolved relationships are complicated when Ray travels to the Mexican site of his father's death and promptly falls in love with a woman even more unstable than he. In the midst of this emotional turmoil, Ray--a rock drummer during his youth in the late Sixties--begins to hear in his head and manages to transfer to tape legendary unfinished recordings by Jim Morrison, Brian Wilson, and Jimi Hendrix. This music is accompanied by "journeys" into the troubled lives of these rock musicians." Glimpses is the title, Lewis Shiner, the writer.

I need to go home and check on two other titles, most likely OP, that are very well-regarded works that fit this category.

here's what Library Journal calls "what may be the first rock n roll time-travel novel. Ray Chackleford is a self-employed electronics repairman whose marriage is foundering and whose father has recently died. These unresolved relationships are complicated when Ray travels to the Mexican site of his father's death and promptly falls in love with a woman even more unstable than he. In the midst of this emotional turmoil, Ray--a rock drummer during his youth in the late Sixties--begins to hear in his head and manages to transfer to tape legendary unfinished recordings by Jim Morrison, Brian Wilson, and Jimi Hendrix. This music is accompanied by "journeys" into the troubled lives of these rock musicians." Glimpses is the title, Lewis Shiner, the writer.

Intriguing. I may look for this next time I'm at the library...

I'll list three I haven't heard too much about...

There's a series by John Marco that starts with "The Jackal of Nar". It's a sortof medieval world, but also has technology. A member of nobility is in the middle of a war and eventually ends up living with the enemy. Meanwhile in his own society, a group of high profile individuals have discovered a potion that gives them immortality at a price.

Second one: A stand alone book, called "The Misenchanted Sword" By Lawrence Watts. A soldier involved in a war in a fantasy kingdom gets lost behind enemy lines. He meets an old hermit wizard who puts an enchantment on his sword to help get him home. But there's a catch...

Third and Last: Recently I've read the Sword, Ring, and Chalice trilogy by Deborah Chester. It's about a King who's brother is jealous and overthrows the monarchy, naming himself King. The real King escapes his imprisonment with his two children and leaves them with someone he trusts, but when he goes off to find allies, he is attacked. He makes a mistake casting a spell and finds himself trapped in another dimension until his kingdom is saved. It's up to his son and daughter to discover their legacy and save the kingdom.

Mathius

Worthy additions to the list, Mathius. I've read about John Marco, but haven't had the chance to try him. Someone mentioned him once here (I think it was Sellsword, but I could be wrong). Do a search and see what you turn up. Maybe a kindred spirit.

ds

Hmm I would say Armor by John Steakley. Im not too sure how obscure it is but it is a great sciFi book. I liked it alot because it is very much military scifi which is my favorite kind.

The Lovers By Philip Jose Farmer. I don't know if he is obscure or not. I 'inherited' several of his books in a box of sci/fi-fantasy novels, and this is the one I read first.

Synopsis-

A linguist, studying languages on a previously unknown alien planet, begins to suspect that humans may have visited the planet at some time in the past.

That really doesn't do it justice, there was a lot more to the story, and it was very intriguing once I got into it.

Armor is pretty high up the Internet Top 100 Scifi and Fantasy list (the original one, not the one from this site - the link is on the thread, anyway - PM me if you want it). Unfortunately, I've never seen it over where I am, so I hadn't had the opportunity to try it for myself.

ds

Cool Russian SF

Ok,

here is something completely undiscovered yet but really good stuff
Sergey Lukyanenko

He has also one of his REALLY good books online, called "the boy and the darkness". (go to Texts in English in this page). I found it much much better and exciting than Paolini's "Eragon" (although Eragon I liked too.)

I read "the boy and the darkness" about a year ago, and every time I think of it, some type of melancholy is overtaking me. It is so beautiful! If you can, read it in russian, of cause - the links above are for english readers, though.

I don't know if these are obscure or not - most of my friends haven't read them. I actually read both of these within the last week and loved them both.

Dragonworld by Byron Preiss - beautiful and simple. About two nations, a misunderstanding, and the dwindling race of dragons.
The Last Dragonlord by Joanne Bertin - I love her were-dragons. One of my favorite characters in this book is a semi-intelligent horse.

Has anyone else read either of these?

I don't know if these are obscure or not - most of my friends haven't read them. I actually read both of these within the last week and loved them both.

Dragonworld by Byron Preiss - beautiful and simple. About two nations, a misunderstanding, and the dwindling race of dragons.
The Last Dragonlord by Joanne Bertin - I love her were-dragons. One of my favorite characters in this book is a semi-intelligent horse.

Has anyone else read either of these?

It's been a long time, but I read "The Last Dragonlord". VERY good read. A lot of very original elements.

Mathius

Hmm I would say Armor by John Steakley. Im not too sure how obscure it is but it is a great sciFi book. I liked it alot because it is very much military scifi which is my favorite kind.

Armor is great. It is in my top 10 list of "war is bad" novels.

The Purple Cloud by M.P. Schiel - one of the original SF books and The Death of Grass by John Christopher, Fugue for a Darkening Island by Christopher Priest - all of them are very dark

Back