• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recommend a very good (semi-)obscure fantasy/sf book

Snap, this is a hard one.... I would say Harry Potter - but siense that is not allowed ummmmmm...... ive always liked cookbooks, that doesnt count either. I have read to many books that i forgot them all. Oh heres one :

The Diary Of a Young Girl - Anne Frank

and it comes in lots of different languages!!!

Not SciFi/Fantasy or obscure. :p

Nice try though.

LOL, Migey

The Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan (3 books)

The Truth Series by Dawn Cook (4 books)

Borderlands trilogy by Lorna Freeman (2 books, 3rd was pulled from publication without any explanation, I still think first 2 are well worth reading)

Reviews of these are on my blog which is a work in progress.

LOL, Migey

The Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan (3 books)

The Truth Series by Dawn Cook (4 books)

Borderlands trilogy by Lorna Freeman (2 books, 3rd was pulled from publication without any explanation, I still think first 2 are well worth reading)

Reviews of these are on my blog which is a work in progress.
yyyyaaaaaaaaayyyy!someone else who likes the black magician trilogy!

i dont like the sound of the others but did you know there are gonna be sequels to the black magician trilogy?

frist is a prequel,the magicians apprentice,and then there will be a sequel trilogy,they start a bit after the graduation of soneas son,lorkin(i guess =she named him as a mix between akkarin and lorlen,who both died)

ok thima,if you are sure,if you are sure...

you want good books?let me list some seiries/stand alones

(takes deep breath)

The Inheritcance cycle
The keys to the kingdom
H.I.V.E
Belgariad
Demonata
The City
saga of darren shan
dragonfly
alex rider
artemis fowl
thief lord
!!!CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS!!!
The dark is rising
faerie wars
seven ancient wonders
companions quartet
diamond brothers
power of five
shades children
ragwitch
Dark materials
Young james bond
Darkside
Unfortunate events
[Insert a classic here]
The Boggart
Narnia
Chronicles of ancient darkness
black magician trilogy

i can go on much more...mehehehe..mwahahaha.mwohohhahaaa

if you ant info on some,ask me..

I have read the Artemis Fowl series and captain underpants.I want to read the keys to the kingdom but our library only had three and four an i wanted to start with one which is Sir Monday i think.I plan on reading The Thief Lord and I've heard of the farie wars and i have also read all of the series of unfortunate events and the lion,the witch,and the wardrobe.All of the books that you have recommended that I haven't read I must read,and others I must reread.You have very good taste in books and my best friend would totally agree with me on this.
does lord of the rings count as a classic cause I am trying to read that right now to.

ahhh,its nice to have someone who likes exactly the same as me..:)

if there are any books on the list taht you wanna know about,pm me :)

ahhh,its nice to have someone who likes exactly the same as me..:)

if there are any books on the list taht you wanna know about,pm me :)

are you sure were not the same person with a multiple personality disorder and two computers? :eek:

...radio squeaks to a stop...

no we are not the same person,but do you want me to tell you about any of those books in particuallar?

Fire-Us trilogy. Those books are simply amazing, and Jennifer Armstrong is such a talented writer! They are honestly so addicting I've read them all at least 6 times! ^_^. Prolly shouldn't have started them in 3rd grade however....lol

Stephen Brust's The Phoenix Guards - it's a sort of fantasy rewrite of the 3 musketeers, so you sort of have to have read that...but he's also written other books set in the same fantasy world, which I have not tried, but which I hear are good.

I can think of a couple that are very good and yet not mentioned much :)

Louise Cooper - doesnt get mentioned much but her older stuff is pretty good - The Time Master Trilogy and The Choas Gate being two series that come to mind. She's written stand alones too.

Mark Anthony - The Last Rune series. Ive mentioned this series before but no one seems to have read it. Personally I think its very good.

I read the first of the Last Rune series. I felt it was well-written & very strong on atmosphere, but the story seemed a bit limp. How do the sequels compare to the first book?

This might be a repeat (I generally don't read ALL of the posts) but one of my favorite series of all time is the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. There's about 11 novels with one novella. Very Very captivating tale. I'd list all the books but I am lazy and at work. However, for those of you interested, just google and VOILA! The first book is Wizard's First Rule....prepared to be intriqued :0)

Nope -- mine wasn't a repeat! Woohoo!:lol:

Again, can't emphasize it enough. If you guys are looking for an amazing series that will literally have you glued and emotionally insync through every page of these books, I highly recommend you ordering them RIGHT NOW. Ok, so maybe just order the first one...After reading it though, I guarantee you buy the next 10.

TERRY GOODKIND -- Sword of Truth Series (12 Books)

1. Wizard's First Rule
  2. Stone of Tears
  3. Blood of the Fold
  4. Temple of the Winds
  5. Soul of the Fire
  6. Faith of the Fallen
  7. Pillars of Creation
  8. Debt of Bones (this one is the novella and not a mandatory read)
  9. Naked Empire
  10. Chainfire
  11. Phantom
  12. Confessor

Nobody on this board seems to have talked about Neuropath by Scott Bakker

It's very exciting, thought provoking read. Very well written.

This might be a repeat (I generally don't read ALL of the posts) but one of my favorite series of all time is the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. There's about 11 novels with one novella. Very Very captivating tale. I'd list all the books but I am lazy and at work. However, for those of you interested, just google and VOILA! The first book is Wizard's First Rule....prepared to be intriqued :0)

I enjoyed many of these books. However I couldn't stand Naked Empire. Too much speech-giving and not enough plot. Some elements of the book were far-fetched, like the
society led by an eight-year old
. Oh-kaay . . .

On another note, I don't think Goodkind really belongs in this thread. He's not really an obscure author. Not in the fantasy genre anyway.

Bone Doll's Twin, Hidden Warrior, Oracle's Queen (Tamir Trilogy) by Lynn Flewelling

In this story the boy twin is killed at birth and its body imprinted onto the girl twin in order that one day the girl could rule the kingdom (prophecy involved). Something goes wrong and the boy twin ends up haunting his sister (who doesn't even know she is a girl). This book is a really well crafted mix of ghost story (plenty of those), coming of age, with a twist and traditional fantasy with magic, warriors, witches and of course a well hated villain or 2.

Unusual way to handle the old switched at birth premise.

Back