• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recommendations - good mystery series

harbisgirl

Hello,

My husband and I love good mysteries. However, we really love series (we get attached to the characters :rolleyes:) We love Catherine Coulters FBI series, James Pattersons Womens Murder Club, and I love (he thinks its too wordy and drawn out scene descriptions - and he is sort of right) Patricia Cornwells Scarpetta series.

Does anyone recommend a good mystery series?

I highly recommend Harlan Coben if you haven't already read his books. He has the Myron Bolitar series, and several stand-alone books. His latest is "The Woods" which is on my TBR pile.

Hillerman

If you have ever been to the southwest, you would enjoy Tony Hillerman's series with the Navajo cops. Chee and Leaphorn are different from each other but an effective team in solving crimes in some very interesting places. There books don't concentrate on clever puzzles so much as on local knowledge and perceptions of character.

I also enjoy Sarah Paretzky (female private detective in Chicago) and Scott Thurow (legal thrillers).

Some of my favorites are The Ballad series by Sharyn McCrumb, JoBeth Sidden (Bloodhhound) series-Virginia Lanier, Anna Pigeon series-Nevada Barr, Anasazi mysteries-Michael and Kathleen O'Gear, Home Repair is Murder series-Sarah Graves. Joe Grey series-Shirley R. Murphy, Midnight Louie series-Rita Mae Brown, Mississippi Delta series-Carolyn Haines...I'm sure I'm leaving out some, but those are ones off the top of my head.

I like Susan Conant's Dog Lover's Mysteries and my husband likes M. C. Beaton's Hamish MacBeth series. My mom loves the #1 Ladies Detective Agency books, but I think they are only loosely termed mysteries.

a few more to look at perhaps.. have you read any PD James, or Elizabeth George? would you like medieval mysteries? Susanna Gregory's Matthew Bartholomew series is one of my favourites.. Bernard Knight's Crowner John series.. of course, i can't not mention Ellis Peters' Cadfael. Barbara Hambly surprised me with her Benjamin January series, i'd thought of her as a fantasy author, but enjoyed the few i have in this series. Charlaine Harris writes more in the 'cosy mystery' category, they are a little light, but enjoyable, the Aurora Teagarden and Lily Bard series. then there is her Sookie series if you like vampires.. :)

Back