• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Renting books-paperspine.com

SFG75

I saw their banner at the top of our website, and was very curious how it would work. I would imagine it's kind of like a netflix thing, only with books. My question is this-would it be cheaper than simply going to the library? Though I do believe you are minimal fee if you inter-library loan a book.

There used to be shelves of book-rental books in the back of drug or variety stores. They stocked mostly best sellers in hard cover and the feels were modest. I haven't seen them for years. I suspect they were done in by mass market paperbacks.

Over here, most major book stores have a similar system; you sign up for a year, pay a fixed fee and get to read a certain selection of books. I never got the point myself, but a lot of people seem to go for it.

I use a similar website, www.bookswim.com.

It's very similar to netflix. You can have anywhere from two to eleven books out at a time, depending on your monthly plan. You get your books, read them, and send them back. If you have two book at a time plan, you have to send both books back at the same time, but any other plan allows you to keep at least one book while you send back the rest.

When they send you your books, they send the return envelope with them, so sending them back is easy. There's no time limit, so no late fees. If you like a book, you can keep it and they will just charge your credit card.

I have the three books at a time package, and I pay $20 a month. The local library doesn't have as good of a selection as bookswim, plus I'm always racking up late fees at the library.

I "rent" books alot from the library. In renting I mean, I pay my property taxes which in turn pay for the library.

I "rent" books alot from the library. In renting I mean, I pay my property taxes which in turn pay for the library.

An excellent point-I haven't thought of it that way, but you're right. What I would personally like to see, is the day when you can browse the selection from your local library online and check out books if you pay a nominal fee for the service. Now that would help spike business.:cool:

I dont understand why anyone would pay late fees at the library:confused: I almost never do. Sometimes I might be a day late but who cares! I get email reminders when each of my books are due and have the option of renewing on the library website. Log in, renew and have for 3 more weeks. Whats difficult about that? I also have the option of using the entire county library system to find books and have them sent to my local branch for pickup. Whenever I am driving by the library I drop off whatever I have finished. "Renting" a book sounds kinda silly to me.:)

my library only charges late fees for videos (and maybe cds.. not sure), not books though. i also have the option to create an online account that will let me see what i have out, when they're due, i can renew them or reserve a book from any library branch and have them send it to the one that is most convienient for me. and of course they have their entire catalogue online for browsing/searching and it will give you a summary of the book and let you know at which branches it is available. it's a pretty sweet system.

My library is evil, 50p per day for late books, but if your over 18 your allowed two days overdue and if its anymore its 5p a day, i hate agism

I dont understand why anyone would pay late fees at the library:confused: I almost never do. Sometimes I might be a day late but who cares! I get email reminders when each of my books are due and have the option of renewing on the library website. Log in, renew and have for 3 more weeks. Whats difficult about that? I also have the option of using the entire county library system to find books and have them sent to my local branch for pickup. Whenever I am driving by the library I drop off whatever I have finished. "Renting" a book sounds kinda silly to me.:)

I haven't checked out books from the library in years. I'm horrible about returning things on time, plus I don't have time during the week to return things, so I'd constantly be paying late fees. I'd rather just browse through the local bookstores looking for good books to read.

Hmm, I quite like the idea. Additional costs for libraries, unless you have a car, are bus fees. It costs me £3 to get to and from my local library, and £5 to the nearest city library, which I really can't afford every two weeks on top of everything else. It doesn't sound like a great deal of money, but it builds up, especially if you have no other business in town.

An excellent point-I haven't thought of it that way, but you're right. What I would personally like to see, is the day when you can browse the selection from your local library online and check out books if you pay a nominal fee for the service. Now that would help spike business.:cool:

My library has an online card catalog. I can go there; see if the book I'm looking for is available. Either place it on hold, or go and pick it up. I have browsed for books before only to find that my library doesn't own it. They are more than happy to makethe purchase and call me when it arrives.

Again, My property taxes at work for me!:D

It seems quite expensive to me: $20 a month, even if it is for unlimited books. I guess if you don't have any decent libraries near you, then it's the only option. I have quite a few libraries close by (four of which I'm a member of), so I can pretty much find what I'm looking for. :)

Back