• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Revamping the BOTM process

Should we have a "quota" for the BOTM picks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Five suggestions from each mentioned genres and then make three different polls for each month?

I also think it would be good to have different kinds of books. I myself would never read books such as Jane Eyre or Tolstoy novels. I was forced to read Anna Karenina in high school and it was worse to me than having teeth pulled without anesthetics. Also, in Chiang Mai I can only find used books, and if it is new book is hard to find.

Wow guys,no mystery? I'm hurt :sad:. Never was a big fan of the classics, but limits: such as "one book has to be this genre and this book has to be that genre" might interest people whose favorite genres don't get mentioned often,but if one horror book is there,you can't suggest another one of the same genre(unless I read the OP wrong).

My vote.

Yes-One book must be Mystery

That's very poor manners. Are the votes anonymous? If they are, that's the first thing I'd change. If you've no intention of playing, you shouldn't be voting. And if you're only going to read if your book choice wins, then you're probably the wrong personality type for a book of the month club.
Votes should be public - IMO - as long as we're all adults about those who, for whatever reason, don't or can't participate.

I belong to a neighborhood book club and we have a set membership list and rotate who picks for that month - our page limit is around 300, though sometimes we pick a biggie for a 2 month read.

Is there a way to make the voting more prominent on the site? I can see where someone may not notice it.
I was wondering that, too...
I have voted several times and not participated simply because I don't have the book and it would be hard for me to get a copy unless I order it online, which would mean paying about 20 dollars on top of the price of the book for shipping and handling, plus having to wait 2 to 3 weeks for delivery. So I usually vote for or suggest a book I own or one I've already decided to order.

How about asking people to sign up for book club and then ask only those who sign up to make suggestions and choose the books? Once the discussions starts, anybody can participate. Just a thought...
There ya go....my throughts from the top of this post.
As for genres, I wouldn't mind if we skipped the classics altogether :D

I do like some classics...but am open to trying most genres -- except sci-fi. I actually have a very hard time getting into those books.
...and I don't have the time to read books like the huge James Michner ones I used to devour in my younger days, but again, will attempt most books people suggest.

hhmmm...some nice ideas that we should look into,like rotation and maybe "join".

If everyone is ok with open voting,I am ok with it.:D

Next one is April we have to choose.

Is there a way to make the voting more prominent on the site? I can see where someone may not notice it.

Back