• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Richard A. Wright: Black Boy

He's autobiographical account is amazing--crystal-clear--as good as Stephen King's On Writing, if not better.

In other words, he wites better than most white men who doesn't even know their own language properly.

Wright has mastered then english language, and I am in awe.

I'm not sure whether this post was made to start a flame war or was simply well-intentioned but thoroughly misguided. Language is a shared knowledge of symbols; as far I know, one's racial composition does not make one more or less adept in the communication of such symbols, even if he or she is not native to the community from which the language has originated. (Additionally, I certainly don't have any English bloodlines. How am I utilizing this language to form cogent thoughts?! What a breathtaking achievement this sentence must be!) When you write that "he writes better than a white man," there is an implication that black people are at an inherent disadvantage in engaging in this kind of communication. And it's not as though Wright learned the language secondhand; at least two generations removed from Africa, he grew up completely immersed in the English language.

In other words, he wites better than most white men who doesn't even know their own language properly.

Wright has mastered then english language, and I am in awe.

You do know he is an American, don't you? Why shouldn't he know his own language? (As unKeMPt has already stated.)

And you do realise that your first sentence is grammatically incorrect? And that your second has a spelling error? And are you white? Shocking...

Seriously, you might want to think about what your reaction is going to be if you're thinking about posting like this...

Someone please enlighten me, I'm having quite some trouble in discovering why this thread was ever created........

Someone please enlighten me, I'm having quite some trouble in discovering why this thread was ever created........

For the same reason eyez0nme has in the past created or responded to threads bashing people for their gender, sexuality, supposed mental health, nationality, or anything else he can think of that's insulting; to, I quote, "incite the members into an uprorar" [sic]. He's simply moved on to include race in his rantings. Anyone surprised by this obviously missed his stated opinion that Adolf Hitler was a "beautiful" person. There's nothing new here.

(Now, in no way do I mean to imply that eyez0nme is not a valuable member of the board; after all, where would we be without threads such as this one?)

Back