• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Richard Bachman: Blaze

If that's your definition of good, then a story written by a coke fiend should entertain you..

Wait, hold on.

Oh snaps! :D

Come on eyez, tell me that the scene detailing how
George and Blaze would make a ton of money off of their "mark" wasn't hilarious. The commentary that Blaze would make while pretending to be in a jealous rage was absolutely hilarious.
The particularly bloody scenes of
Blaze killing the possessed collie
and
cracking the jaw of the 8th grade bully
was very notable. I was hooked on both of those sections. Right now, I'm waiting for the abusive foster parent to take a shovel upside the head or something. He's not a character that I enjoy.:mad:

I like the idea of how King rotates the story between
the kidnapping
and
Blaze's upbringing at HH and Bluenote's berry farm.
I do have to say that the middle part isn't as good as the beginning. The beginning rocked with a hair-raising
kidnapping scene where Blaze stares into the bedroom of the prominent family fromhis ladder. I also enjoyed Blaze's documented displays of destruction, both in the house of the Gerards, as well as the playground.
With that being said, what follows really doesn't hook the reader at all. The supposed value of Blaze as a character is that the reader is to feel a deep sense of sorrow for him. While that is accomplished in the beginning, what happens from his teenage years on only disappoints in that regard. I don't believe that King succeeded in that.

You better hurry on up with that book, SFG. In three days a certain teenage boy-wonder is going to be taking over the pop culture world and if you don't have said boy's book in your hands, then you'll be left in the dust, son. The dust.

(And oh my golly-gosh, It is f%^king AWESOME!)

We talking about Blaze now or It? I'm confused.

*Twitch*

HOLY CRAP HARRY POTTER SEVEN THREE MORE DAYS!

*Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!*

It dragged for me.

It just went on and on.

It's ending sucked.

The hunt for Blaze did seem to go on and on, on that point, I will agree with you. It was also dull when his past at HH was discussed, not to mention when he worked on the berry farm. I know those references were to somehow endear Blaze to the reader and build up the whole "woe-is-he" thing that King was aiming for, but I just thought......meh. You didn't like the ending?, I did enjoy that, there was some good action there. The part where
Blaze is running across to reach the mirage of George, while displaying super human effort while being shot up
was a great section. I also enjoyed the final scene where
the officer blew him away from behind while he was talking to the baby and asking for George.

I thought it would've made a more interesting story to not let out that George was dead and to have the reader discover that suddenly towards the end, perhaps during the whole river chase scene-now that would've been mind blowing.

This is only my second stephen king novel. The first was cell. I know i need to read the classics, but did this book really end the way it did? Can someone please explain to me what happened. I was probably stupid for expecting it but i thought the book was a great set up for a huge twist. And what was up with spoiler: the end where blaze is running from the cops and looks to the other side of the river for birds. The birds are again brought up at the end hanging from the baby's crib. Does this have some kind of meaning im missing.

I've been a King fan since I was around 13, so the best part of (gulp) 23 years now. I've not really read much of the recent ones, I started Cell but didn't really get into it. Might try it again now it's summer holidays.

My personal favourite is The Long Walk, it's the top of my all time favourite books list too, I adore it. I've read it over and over again, it just grips me because it's so horrifically possible with reality tv pushing the boundaries time and again. I could see something like this happening in the not too distant future. Working with teenage boys, I could imagine many of them being arrogant enough to enter such a race too.

I'll give Blaze a try and see if he's got some of the old style King/Bachman back.

Back