• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Richard Bachman: Blaze

The Stand is my all time favourite book. I have to admit to being disappointed by his recent books, but I'll always pick them up and give them a go. I haven't read Lisey's Story yet though. :rolleyes:

Aye; the chapter posted on his website was pure garbage, and after reading the synopsis of the actual plot I can't say that I'm too interested. However, I will be picking it up, finding a nice comfy chair in the bookstore and giving it a whirl. I won't be buying it, though, unless I find myself entertained.

I'll be getting this from the library. Plot-wise it sounds okay, but that excerpt really didn't do much for me. It feels like a watered-down version of King's work.

So I was at Borders hanging out and shiz. I see Blaze. I decide, 'hey, what the heck?' and pick it up. I slough threw the opening teaser chapters. I make it to the next one. And then the next one. And then the one after that. Before I know it I'm on page 88 and loving Blaze, for it's lack of verbosity and it's graceful nod towards Stephen King's younger days of writing. Vintage King? Naw.

Pretty damn good book? Very.

I'm not going to go into a review, but I"ll just say that yes, this is better than Cell and Lisey's Story; pacing and writing wise anyway, because I'm in the minority when I say that I still think Lisey's Story was a great novel.

Anyhow, I ended up purchasing it and going home. So...yeah, check it out. Let's hope Duma Key makes a nice splash.

Well, at least we know one thing for sure; watch the ending turn to crap, as with any King novels. Heh. :)

Stephen King's endings are always crap. No surprise there. Anyhow, I'm on page 156 now. Still moving along just fine.

Oh, and uh, yeah--it's not a horror novel. There's no blood or guts. Just twelve year old kids uppercutting dogs in the jaw.

EDIT: Here's what Stephen King SHOULD have used for a teaser to Blaze. Brief, but well meant.

________

"I said that's quite a rod you got on you."
Joe smiled.
"Goo-goo," Blaze said. He felt an unwilling idiot grin tug the corners of his mouth.
Joe gurgled.
"Goo-goo-baby," Blaze said.
Joe laughed aloud.
"Goo-goo-bayyy-beee," Blaze said, delighted.
Joe pissed in his face.

_____

See that? Quality writing right there. The self-appointed literary Gods can go suck it. Shit, while we're at it, let's say pun intended.

That is crap man. How can you call that literature?

It's all filler. It's suppose to be a "trunk" manuscript, something that was never intended to be published, but, lo and behold, King publishes it anyway. Why? Who the hell knows? He must not have anymore real ideas left in him.

Nice job picking up on the sarcasm there. Anyhow, finished the book, and as expected, the ending sucked. Not great, not bad, but somewhere in the middle. 3/5

King's Dark Tower series has a
bad ending
. The series itself is great though. So the
ending
though important dosen't make the book by itself. I have not read Blaze as yet (I might get it tomorrow); I am looking forward to reading it.

Stephen King is an asshole for what he did in the final Dark Tower.

King's reasoning: "Hm, let's take all these villains that took a span of twenty or more years to develop, all these villains who were meant to be unbelievably powerful, and let's just...I don't know, let's just be stupid and kill them off like cattle."

Reader: "Oh my God, this was horrible...well, at least the Dark Tower itself will be pretty awesome..."

*Right before ending of Dark Tower, Stephen King jumps in--literally--to talk to the reader.*

Steve: Yo

Reader:The hell? What are you doing here? Well, whtever. Sup, Steve.

Steve: Not much, Constant Reader. Do you want to get to the end of the Dark Tower (do you hear me sigh?)

Reader: Hell yeah, man! I mean, you've pretty much fucked everything else up in this volume, but you wouldn't make the awesome Dark Tower suck, too, would --

Steve: **** you.

Reader: Huh?

Steve: You heard me. **** you. It's not about the goal you pretentious bastard, it's about the journey. I don't write these things man, I see them.

Reader: ....What?

Steve: I'm trying to be clever in going about telling you that this is the shittiest book I've written to date. Oh, and don't write my hate mail, either. You know, I don't write, I see and record

Reader: ...What did you do?

Anyhow, yeah. I loved the Dark Tower, but the ending three volumes deserved so much better (though I did enjoy Song of Sussanah, don't get me wrong). And that preemptive strike against the readers just before the end to say that he knows he wrote crap and doesn't want to hear from us that he wrote crap? Yeah, no, but that's pretension on the highest level.

And now, looking back, I have to wonder why I went off on a rampage there. Either way, Blaze is a fun read, you'll enjoy it, but you won't remember it.

I just got done with Blaze. It was ok, definately not the best, but still a quick read. I think most people will find the story pretty predictable, but entertaining.

June 12th...man, did I miss the boat!. :rolleyes:

Anybody want to make it our July horror book of the month read? Come on eyez and seven, you guys will be the overly optimistic and King-gushing compliment giving members. I'll be the eternal cynic who laces expletives upon expletive to describe his trash writing. :D

Seriously though-let's do this one for July.:cool:

He probably reads Cujo every night, I just know it.:D

Heck, if I could self-induce a minimum dose of amnesia I'd read Cujo every night, going against my strong convictions of anti-re-reading (what's the good if the path has already been walked once, right?).

Out of all the stories I've read from King, Cujo is the only one to not have bored me for even the slightest sliver of a moment. And I'd like to believe that I have a good dose of his works under my belt.

This book is much better than Lisey's Story and Cell. Remembering how meandering and bloated LS was, it was nice to have something that was more concise and tightly structured. I even didn't mind the ending all that much. Almost gives me hope for King's upcoming novel, Duma Key. I have yet to read the short story that was included with this book. If anyone has completed it, is it any good?

Back