• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Robert B. Parker

Perhaps you have read these also, but he has written a couple of novels about hit man which are quite unusual, though I like the PI novels better. Also, on subject of Robert J. Parker, I recently watched some DVDs about Jesse Stone. I thought they were great, and though I never read the Jesse Stone novels I will look for them at used book shops. I thought Tom Selleck did a really good job in the movies. I used to like Spenser series with Robert Urich also, but I thought Joe Mantegna playing Spenser was ridiculous.

Perhaps you have read these also, but he has written a couple of novels about hit man which are quite unusual, though I like the PI novels better. Also, on subject of Robert J. Parker, I recently watched some DVDs about Jesse Stone. I thought they were great, and though I never read the Jesse Stone novels I will look for them at used book shops. I thought Tom Selleck did a really good job in the movies. I used to like Spenser series with Robert Urich also, but I thought Joe Mantegna playing Spenser was ridiculous.

The hit man series is the one I've read all of and thoroughly enjoyed. I'm not sure if he'll write anymore of those, he doesn't seem sure himself, at least according to his website/newsletter.

Re the Jesse Stone novels, haven't read them, but as you I've seen some of the Tom Selleck versions. He did a great job IMO.

This is a tangent regarding Selleck, but have you seen the westerns he played in with Sam Elliot? Sackett's Land. Good series.

I never did see the movies but I did see another Tom Selleck western quite awhile ago that I thought was good but unfortunately cannot remember the name of the movie. I always liked Magnum PI even though it is ridiculous for PI to follow people around in a red ferrari.

Oh, do you mean Quigley Down Under, 1990. Takes place in Australia, natch, and is quite good actually. Alan Rickman made a quite delicious villain. :)

You guys have touched upon so many things I also like. Tom Selleck and Sam Elliot are great in westerns always. shall have to look out for Jesse Stone and Christopher G. Moore.

I went to used bookstore today and see Christopher G. Moore has new novel out. Not sure if it is available in England. However, there is also a very good mystery series based in Thailand written by British author John Burdett, and I know these are available in UK and US. They are called Bangkok 8, Bangkok Tatoo and Bangkok Haunts.

I always liked Magnum PI even though it is ridiculous for PI to follow people around in a red ferrari.

:D True, but you have to love his chutzpah.

The Christopher G. Moore look interesting, I'll have to acquire one or two of them.

velocipede2288,
Louis L'Amour's series, The Sacketts is well worth reading. I believe there are 18 or 19 in all, naturally of varying....not quality, but varying interest [to me]. The couple of them that were made into films were good.

That is a very good choice. I believe that, unlike some of the stories written in Asia, the Christopher G. Moore stories are universal and would appeal to anyone. I am currently reading a novel Anarchy and Old Dogs from Colin Coterill. It is one of series of mysteries about the national coroner of Laos in the 70s, Dr. Siri Paboun. These novels are not only very excellent mysteries with a lot of forensic detail, they are the funniest books I ever read. Also, the proceeds from the sale of these books goes directly to charity for land mine victims and school for poor children in Laos and author, who lives near me in Chiang Mai, gets no money at all from them. I know they are available in Europe, but dont know about US.

I also searched for these books yesterday at 3 used book stores plus library I work at. Found numerous Spenser novels and 1 Sunny Randle but no Jesse Stone.

I bought a Parker/Jesse Stone entry a couple of months ago, it's in the stack now, but I can't find it at the moment. Also can't remember which one. :rolleyes:

Back