• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Robert E Howard

I am not posting this in the SF/Fantasy/Horror board for though Howard wrote plenty of that for the pulps, he also wrote Westerns, boxing stories, and historical adventure fiction, plus some things that are hard to categorize.
Had he not taken his own life at age 30, he might have become an important regional writer, perhaps doing for his part of Texas what William Faulkner did for Mississippi. Some of his correspondence with fellow writers in his final years suggested that.
It is nice to know that he is finally being taken seriously in the academic world, and that the Library of America I believe is issuing a collection of his stories.
I discovered Howard many, many years ago, and quickly fell under his spell. He has been called the greatest of all pulp fiction writers. I call him simply a great writer. I can read his stories over and over, something I cannot say about many writers.
One Who Walked Alone, by his girlfriend Novalyne Price Ellis, I highly recommend. The movie The Whole Wide World starring Vincent D'Onofrio and Renee Zellweger was based on it.
DelRey books has fine quality paperbacks of many of his stories, just as he wrote them,and as they originally apppeared in Weird Tales and other magazines. His most well-known hero is of course Conan the Cimmerian- but please do not judge Howard based on the movies starring a certain California governor!
Other works of his are published under the imprint Bison Books by the University of Nebraska Press, a respected publisher of books on Western history and culture.
Was just wondering if we have other Howard fans here.

I used to be a major Robert E. Howard fan. I read every Conan novel and some of his others as well. The False Kurd stories have a great significance to certain activites in a former job which I cannot go into here. However I did not care for a certain series he wrote about a boxing sailor. I forgot the name, but they were pretty ridiculous.

I liked his Conan books and many of his other stories . I saw the Solomon Kane film recently but think its only loosely based on his books - haven't read the Kane books for nearly 20 years , have to go back to them and check .

After watching Conan the Barbarian recently, I want to start reading the original stories. I'm just not sure where to start. This anthology seems fairly comprehensive, but I was also eyeing these collections as well. What do the Howard fans here recommend?

Funny , in the 80's there used to be loads of these on bookshelves - don't see many these days . Suppose it coincided with Arnie's screen interpretation . Haven't seen the latest film .

Yes, back in the 70's/80's there were a lot of of those Ace paperbacks with the Frank Frazetta covers on the shelves. I've still got the 12 book Conan series somewhere.

Funny , in the 80's there used to be loads of these on bookshelves - don't see many these days . Suppose it coincided with Arnie's screen interpretation . Haven't seen the latest film .
Wasn't impressed by the latest Conan film - the bloke just hasn't got the screen presence of Arnie - who the role was almost made for . It was a rehash of the first Arnie film , which in itself was only very loosely base don the Howard books , the sequence of events and even the events themselves don't fall into the Howard stories . However , having said that , if you just want to be entertained and aren't worried too much about following t e books word for word , then they're entertaining - and you can't ask for more .

Back