• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Robertson Davies: Fifth Business

unhip_crayon

How many ppl actually read the whole book? It was a painful month for me, this book is horrible in my opinion. Ive read a lot of books and this one is not one of the best.

Anyways, i have an inclass essay and I thought of 3 three topics that i cant decide which one would be easier... "Liesl-devil or saint"(u have to choose if shes either a saint or devil), "fifth buisness is a novel that Exemplifies contrast through characters(ex foil)", or the one that the teacher gave "To understand 5th buisness one must explore the metaphor of the archetype as it appears in the novel.

Then i need to think of 3 sub topics.

This thread i think will help many ppl in grade 11 when they read this book.

thank you

Well, I think there are a number of people on this forum who quite liked Fifth Business and Roberrtson Davies in general. Take a look at this thread. There may be other threads that mention it as well, but you can do a search if you're so inclined.

As for your homework assignment, you won't get much help here unless you're willing to actually discuss your views on the book - i.e beyond saying you hated it.

Which topic are you leaning towards, and why might be a start.

Hehehe. Stewart, you beat me to it.

can u tell me wat this mean...a novel that Exemplifies contrast through characters. I think it means a novel that shows examples of differences through characters, but im not really sure. Wat would be three good sub topics? I think foil is a good one, and nemisis i think would be another good one and i need one more.

No. Do your own damn homework.

First you insult a book people here like then expect someone to help you with it? Good luck Sparky.

Calling you Sparky is a hint to where you'll find help.

unhip_crayon said:
How many ppl actually read the whole book? It was a painful month for me, this book is horrible in my opinion. Ive read a lot of books and this one is not one of the best.

Anyways, i have an inclass essay and I thought of 3 three topics that i cant decide which one would be easier... "Liesl-devil or saint"(u have to choose if shes either a saint or devil), "fifth buisness is a novel that Exemplifies contrast through characters(ex foil)", or the one that the teacher gave "To understand 5th buisness one must explore the metaphor of the archetype as it appears in the novel.

Then i need to think of 3 sub topics.

thank you
You may find this to be of some help.

I have not read this book, but I can help you a bit...

"I" should never be i

"People" should never be ppl

"What" should never be wat

"You" should not be u

(and I can't spell well myself....) :D

im should be I'm
Ive should be I've
cant should be can't
shes should be she's

"I" should never be i

"People" should never be ppl

"What" should never be wat

"You" should not be u

(and I can't spell well myself....)

im should be I'm
Ive should be I've
cant should be can't
shes should be she's

Wow I better watch out here with Moto;) I can spell very well but I tend to get lazy and not capitalize and put my apostrophe in where needed.:rolleyes: Ohhh and I am horrible about using the "u" instead of spelling out "you". LOL

Wow, the third thread that I've read where someone really violated the norms of the board. Is there a conspiracy or something?:cool: :cool:

Okay, I'm just about getting ready to reread Robertson Davies, so if you can just hold on for a few weeks? Then I'll answer all your questions for you.

Don't go away! (I'm already on Joyce Carol Oates, and I'm reading through my TBR pile backwards alphabetically.)

No time constraint, I presume? You've got all year?

:D

thanks anyways but i dont need anymore help, ive pretty much finished the essay myself, except for one little thing. Does the novel show either percy's or pauls behaivor, if so around what part or what chapter, a page # would also be helpful. 1 last question, promise....what is a way to contrast paul and percy(ex. behaivor, physical appearance)? <-- except those two examples

thank you so much and sorry for being such a nuisance ;)
ill try to search before i post

StillILearn said:
No time constraint, I presume? You've got all year?

:D

lol, we only had 1/2 a month to read the book and write an inclass essay, not a very long time, i had to skip a few chapters so i could finish the book in time. we are done writing this monday and im just finishing up

OMG, i am panicking... i forgot my fifth business book at school and i had quotes that i needed in there. PLEASE help me, im begging you! This essay is due tommorow and i need a couple of qoutes with page numbers please.I need a qoute to show dunstans/percy personality or relationship, i had a qoute about dunstan helpin mrs Dempster..can someone find me one please. I aslo need a qoute that shows the behavior between paul and percy.

please hurry:eek: :( thank you

Back