• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Robin Hobb

Duncan

I recently finished reading Robin Hobb's 'The Farseer Trilogy', and thought it was great. Im thinking about moving onto 'The Tawny Man' series in the near future. Anyone read either of these?

I got through the first two books of the Farseer Trilogy and really enjoyed it. I never read the third book, but that was just due to general need to read something different. I have read her Liveship Traders Trilogy and loved it! I would highly recommend that.

I've also read the first two books of the Liveship Traders, and thought they were pretty excellent. If Robin Hobb could actually incite interest in me towards boats, i thought her other novels must be good, they're what inspired me to move onto the Farseer Trilogy. I'm yet to read the last though, I too needed to move onto something different.

I read most of what Hobb writen so far.The 3 trilogies,Fraseer's,liveship and Fool are al related(specialy the first and last).If you read the Fraseer you should read the Fool ones(slightly less dark and more actives).
The Shaman ones are also great(still have to read the last)
She also wrote good Scifi as Megan Lindholm

Linky Robin Hobb

She is one of the best Fantastic writer alive(i think she could even pass BG test about fantastic fiction http://www.bookandreader.com/forums/f27/75-questions-for-fantasy-writers-18347.html )

Yeah I agree saliotthomas, she's easily my favourite fantasy writer. I love the emphasis she places on her characters, such detail. No authors have drawn me into their characters in the same manner.

The only down point of Hobb is the terrible names she gave to her characteres in the Fraseer trilogie.Just terrible.

The only down point of Hobb is the terrible names she gave to her characteres in the Fraseer trilogie.Just terrible.

Haha fair call. I think Raymond E. Feist has the worst track record though, what the hell was he thinking when he named his main character 'Pug'?

I used to hate her names, too. In a lot of fantasy it seems like the author is just making up names to make up names without having any reason except that he or she wants them to sound like fantasy names. I've only read the Farseer trilogy (moving on to Live Ship sometime in the recent future) but after about a book and a half I started realizing that the names work within Fitz's world. And the names are consistent with trends, in that world, just like in the real world. After all, is naming your child Chivalry or Patience any more terrible than naming your child Chastity, Walker, or Hope?

I really like her as an author. She is someone who makes you think deep, long after you put down the last page of the book. In between her lines, she also makes you think about your life & how the world affects you.

Most authors will just tell you stories. But RH would tell us about 'real' stories embedded in her fantasy books. Her depiction of a Ruler/King as a 'Sacrifice' is brilliant. How we wish that all our gov't leaders will get that message. To be passionate about being of service to someone/something greater than yourself. So very few people have that notion nowadays.

Yes, sometimes her novels would drag, but I don't mind that. She just wants you to feel for her characters. Like writing a very long entry in your diary or blog. You know that it's high time for you to stop but you just want to let it all out. Like what I'm doing now ;)

Alright enough of that. Any thoughts on Soldier Son Trilogy?

I didn't like the Soldier Son Trilogy as much as the Farseer books. They were alright but I didn't find the story as interesting. Just wasn't my thing.

I didn't like the Soldier Son Trilogy as much as the Farseer books. They were alright but I didn't find the story as interesting. Just wasn't my thing.

Ya, Farseer is way more amazing than Soldier Son Trilogy. I admit to skimming thru the last few pages just to quicken the pace. But still, we get to know more about the life of being a Soldier & all that.

I'm currently reading Royal Assassin, the second in the farseer trilogy. I love the characters, the intrigue, and scandal. I've gone out and picked up all the other books she has wrote to date, but will not rush to read them all. I will spread them out and enjoy them like a fine wine.

Most of them are more or less linked.
Even the liveship take place on the same world.
The following of the Assassin trilogie i like the most the Tawny man, starting with the Fool's errand. Poor Fitz is a bit harder on his enemies...

Most of them are more or less linked.
Even the liveship take place on the same world.
The following of the Assassin trilogie i like the most the Tawny man, starting with the Fool's errand. Poor Fitz is a bit harder on his enemies...

k, you're making me anticipate the next Hobb series I read. Harder on his enemies, hmmm.

Back