• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Roddy Doyle: The Snapper

Sybarite

The Snapper by Roddy Doyle

The second volume in Roddy Doyle's Barrytown Trilogy, this again features working-class Dublin family the Rabbittes, and opens with daughter Sharon announcing to her parents that she's pregnant.

But as she refuses to reveal the identity of the father, Doyle gradually reveals, through Sharon's thoughts and the actions of the man in question, who it is and the circumstances in which it happened.

And without plunging into a deep discussion of the topic, it raises provocative questions about what constitutes consensual sex and what constitutes rape.

Doyle is good at capturing the sense of the local, working-class speech patterns – you can 'hear' the accents as you read.

Humane and funny.

I love how the dad starts reading about pregnancy and childbirth, and tries to be supportive. T'was sweet.

I loved it too,my wife is reading it at least once a year when home-sick.I'd say it's has effective as a pint of guinness.

While I love The Snapper, I think The Van is funnier. It helps I know people who used to have a Van and I wonder if they had any mishaps like the one I can't speak of without spoiling a truly hilarious moment:) What Doyle does so well is give us characters who feel as real as the folks next door..wherever next door might be.

Back