• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Roddy Doyle

saliotthomas

One of the best Irish writer to me.I'm specialy fond of his early books,like the Snapper,Paddy clark...hahah i also liked a Star called henry and Play that thing.The woman walking into door was very unlike him(i found).
This man really capture the spirit of the place,with the very peculiar sense of Humor,very often directed a them self.
The only reproche would be that he is just a little to gifted ,so somethime over do himself,i found that in Play that thing,wish at time was hard to follow.
In the year to come,even in a remote future,is books may very well become classics of Irish litterature.A perfect picture of the country at certain time,with style that fit the suject.
Like Abecedarian was saying,there is here very good reviewer and it's hard to reach there level.

I do enjoy Roddy Doyle's books. Or at least those I've read, which extends to The Commitments, The Snapper, The Van, Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha, and, more recently, The Deportees and Other Stories.

His particular skill is to deliver a scene with the most minimal of descriptions (in which his ability is passable) but with an amazing ear for dialogue that captures expressions, emotions, and locations. It no doubt takes a great deal of effort to get it like so, but it reads effortlessly.

I second Stewart's endorsement of The Committments, The Snapper, and The Van. The latter two are my favorites. I have two friends who used to operate concession stands/vans and there's a particular scene in The Van that just makes me laugh out loud. I've asked one of my friends, but she swears they never cranked out a deep-fried nappy instead of an Onion Blossom.

Back