• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Sci-fi without the little green men...

ewarwoowar

I've always been a big reader, but have never dabbled in the sci-fi genre. The world of space stories, aliens and ray-guns never really appealed. However, recently I have been sucked in and realised there is more to sci-fi than little green men.

My journey has taken me to...

The Drought & Concrete Island - J.G.Ballard
The Shrinking Man & I Am Legend - Richard Matheson
More Than Human - Thoedore Sturgeon
Day Of The Triffids & The Chrysalids - John Wyndham
Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes
Man In The High Castle - PKD

Just started Fahrenheit 451

... and I'm hungry for more.

Based on the above what would you guys and girls recommend?

My journey has taken me to...

... and I'm hungry for more.

It would seem to have taken some of your post too.

Based on the above what would you guys and girls recommend?

So, while I can't see: how about some Philip K. Dick?

I have a fading memory of John Wyndham, also. Perhaps it's time to read them again.

It would seem to have taken some of your post too.

So, while I can't see: how about some Philip K. Dick?

I have a fading memory of John Wyndham, also. Perhaps it's time to read them again.

yeah, pressed the dreaded 'post' key too soon! but as you can see from the edited list, you're on the right lines!

The Forever War - Joe Haldeman
The Stars My Destination and The Demolished Man - Alfred Bester
Timescape - Gregory Benford, if you don't mind that what was theoretically possible when it was written has been disproved since.

Actually you won't go far wrong having a look through the S.F Masterworks series. I'd avoid Cities in Flight like the plague, but if you like trade unions flying through space in the 50s you might enjoy it.

I'll have to have a look when I get home at what I have that isn't too spacey. There's loads of Philip K Dick to keep you going though.

Forever War is my single most-loved scifi book, and is right on the money. I loved The Stars My Destination too. Both are highly recommended.

I read the Chrysalids when I accidentally picked it up from the library a long time ago, and remember liking it a lot also. It's sorta like Watership Down but with gifted humans. :) How did you like it?

I would recommend the Lois M Bujold's Vorkosigan series - top notch space opera, and an incredibly witty and funny lead character in Miles Vorkosigan. I recently broke a reading streak of 3 continuous books in the series, and I know that when I pick it up again, it'll have to be another run of a few successive books.

ds

Back