• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Seafaring Novels

Robert

I got interested in seafaring novels after reading The Sea-Wolf by Jack London. That book quickly found its way to the top of my list of favorite books. Since reading The Sea Wolf, I have enjoyed books by C. S. Forester, Patrick O'Brian, and Rafael Sabatini. I currently have Alexander Kent on my reading list, but haven’t read one yet.

Any other readers of seafaring novels on the forum? Any suggestions for additional reading?

Rafael Sabatini is pretty good. I bought out all that they had at the used book store near where I work. I'm going to have to buy online to get more.

Do submarine books count?
If so, I highly recommend this one:
"The Sea Wolves: Germany's Dreaded U-Boats of WW II" by Edwin C. Hoyt. (Not to be confused with 'The Sea Wolves' by Wolfgang Frank.)

This one is the best sub book I ever read.
Hoyt really did his research. One of the best parts of the book (my apologies to all Brits) is the description of when Gunther Prien's U-boat penetrated Scapa Flow.

I wrote a letter to the author with a question, asking: "Are there any U-boats remaining that can be seen by the public?" He pointed me out to the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry, where they have one you can tour.

Oh, I've just remembered I forgot to mention The History of Piracy, Philip Gosse. I read it years ago, it's quite interesting, with maps and all.

Do submarine books count?
If so, I highly recommend this one:
"The Sea Wolves: Germany's Dreaded U-Boats of WW II" by Edwin C. Hoyt. (Not to be confused with 'The Sea Wolves' by Wolfgang Frank.)

This one is the best sub book I ever read. Hoyt really did his research. One of the best parts of the book (my apologies to all Brits) is the description of when Gunther Prien's U-boat penetrated Scapa Flow.

I wrote a letter to the author with a question, asking: "Are there any U-boats remaining that can be seen by the public?" He pointed me out to the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry, where they have one you can tour.

I toured that U-boat they have in Chicago more years ago then I care to think about. One of a great many interesting things to be seen at that museum.

I have no valuable contributions to make here (the only seafaring book I've ever read is The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, which was great by the way), but I wanted to mention that every time I see the title of this thread I get The Sailor's Hornpipe tune in my head. WARNING: clicking on the link will ensure that the tune will stay in your head the whole day - proceed with caution, mateys

You can't go wrong with Joseph Conrad. Although his sentences are thick and heavy at times, it is what makes his writing beautiful. His books are more philosophical than high adventure, but nevertheless worth reading.

Lord Jim is especially comical due to the circumstances surrounding the central event in the book.

'South by Java Head' by Alistair Maclean is FAR better than 'The Guns of Navarone. Much takes place at sea.

BTW, Maclean's book 'The Secret Ways'...definitely his best work. You'll never forget it. It was one of his earlier works. As his drinking progressed, the writing suffered. I say this about him because it is already well known this was the case. He didn't even try to deny it. He would tell people his favorite drink...(lol)

I’m still reading seafaring novels and I’m always looking for more books involving tall ships.
What I’ve read so far includes:

Hornblower series by C.S. Forester (11 books)
The Captain from Connecticut by C.S. Forester
The Good Shepard by C.S.Forester
With All Dispatch by Alexander Kent
In Gallant Company by Alexander Kent
To Glory We Steer by Alexander Kent
The Sea-Wolf by Jack London
Moby Dick by Herman Melville
The Wine Dark Sea by Patrick O’Brian
The first five of 18 books in the Ramage series by Dudley Pope
Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini
The Sea-Hawk by Rafael Sabatini
The Black Swan by Rafael Sabatini

This years reading list includes:
The final 13 of the Ramage Series by Dudley Pope
The Carolinian by Rafael Sabatini
The Odyssey by Homer
The Man Without a Country by Edward Everett Hale

Shopping for next year…
More from Rafael Sabatini
To the Ends of the Earth (trilogy) by William Golding
The War of 1812 trilogy by William H. White
The Greater the Honor, A Novel of the Barbary Wars by William H. White

In the future, I hope to read the entire series of 29 Richard Bolitho books by Alexander Kent (Douglas Edward Reeman)

Suggestions are always welcome.

One I was really impressed with was Sacred Hunger by Barry Unsworth. It is set on a slave ship. Was a joint winner of the Booker when first published.

Back