• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Seafaring Novels

If your opposed to fantasy the Liveship trader trilogie by Robin Hodd is excellent.Mostly seafaring stories,very well written.Pirates,a familly of traders,sea snakes,..

If your opposed to fantasy the Liveship trader trilogie by Robin Hodd is excellent.Mostly seafaring stories,very well written.Pirates,a familly of traders,sea snakes,..

No, I not the least bit opposed to fantasy. I looked it up on Amazon and it looks like a fun read. In fact, it looks so good that I just order the first book in a hardcover edition. Thanks.

No, I not the least bit opposed to fantasy. I looked it up on Amazon and it looks like a fun read. In fact, it looks so good that I just order the first book in a hardcover edition. Thanks.

Beware Robert,those are highly addictive.It is part of a series of 9 books(3liveship),but been use to O'brian and Forester this should not be a probleme.
Hope you enjoy it.

Beware Robert,those are highly addictive.It is part of a series of 9 books(3liveship),but been use to O'brian and Forester this should not be a probleme.
Hope you enjoy it.

This may be one of those times when "highly addictive" is actually a good thing.

I read Stand Into Danger by Alexander Kent not long ago. Not among my favorites. If you're a fan of The Sea Wolf, it may be tough to find others up to that standard. Going to pry open the shelves and see what else I have.

The Sea Wolf is hard to beat, but there are out there.

Stand into Danger is one of Kent's Bolitho novels. I hope to find all 29 books in the series on Amazon or ebay, but I'll probaby end up getting them one at a time.

The Aubrey/Maturin Series (of Master and Commander fame) by Patrick O'Brian are a wonderful set of stories/books. They first came to my notice when in desperation of something to read I plundered my father's book stash.

I recently finished book II of the Aubrey/Maturin series and took a break from that series to read The Sea Wolf. 20 pages left to go.

Migey,

Interesting that you bring up Jules Verne's 20,000 leagues under the Sea. I put that on my kindle and have enjoyed it quite a bit. Haven't read it since junior high school.

More on the non fiction side but exiting I'm sure

51NJSywV0RL._SL500_AA240

i orderd it this morning Empire of Blue Water: Captain Morgan's Great Pirate Army, the Epic Battle for the Americas, and the Catastrophe That Ended the Outlaws' Bloody Reign

By stephan Talty-Pirate stories

I have two more to go from Dudley Pope's Ramage series by Dudley Pope and I have have started to purchase Alexander Kent's Bolitho series for next year.

Books in the series include:

Midshipman Bolitho
Midshipman Bolitho and the 'Avenger'
Band of Brothers
Stand Into Danger
In Gallant Company
Sloop Of War
To Glory We Steer
Command a King's Ship
Passage To Mutiny
With All Despatch
Form Line of Battle!
Enemy In Sight!
Flag Captain
Signal - Close Action!
The Inshore Squadron
A Tradition Of Victory
Success to the Brave
Colours Aloft
Honour This Day
The Only Victor
Beyond The Reef
The Darkening Sea
For My Country's Freedom
Cross Of St. George
Sword of Honour
Second to None
Relentless Pursuit
Man of War
Heart of Oak

Another vote for Sacred Hunger by Unsworth. Also The Middle Passage by Charles Johnson, Voyage of the Narwahl by Andrea Barrett, The Terror by Dan Simmons, and twelve big thumbs up for English Passengers by Matthew Kneale, one of the best books I've ever read.

Oh, and Batavia's Graveyard by -- I forget.

Another vote for Sacred Hunger by Unsworth. Also The Middle Passage by Charles Johnson, Voyage of the Narwahl by Andrea Barrett, The Terror by Dan Simmons, and twelve big thumbs up for English Passengers by Matthew Kneale, one of the best books I've ever read.

"Batavia's Graveyard: The True Story of the Mad Heretic Who Led History's Bloodiest Mutiny is a 2003 book by Mike Dash ..."
This sounds interesting AuntiePam.

Wonderful! I'll put these on my list to reasearch. Thanks.

Back