• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Second viewings of Movies: better or worse?

SeoulMan

I often view the same movie multiple times after many years have passed. Usually, I wait somewhere between 5-10 years. Of course, some movies pass the test of MY time, others don't.

Which movies are just as good, if not better, the second or third time? Which movies are worse?

I will first start off with my most obvious choice: Star Wars. I watched Star Wars as a kid and loved it. When I discovered through my movie history book that Annie Hall won the Best Picture Oscar the same year Star Wars was nominated, I was soooo pissed that I threw things. I threw a tantrum. Well, several years later, when I was in my 20s, I grew to hate Star Wars and loved Annie Hall so much that Annie Hall has made the prestigios list of my favorite 10 movies of all-time!

A more recent example is Butterfly Effect. I loved loved loved it the first time. A few years later, I wanted to show this movie to my parents and whlie watching it, I thought to myself, "What crap!" LOL!

I can't explain this phenomenon other than the fact that I matured over the years.

Good movies are always better with subsequent viewings. Since you already know the story you are free to focus on details such as props, costumes, lighting, and camera angles.

Mediocre movies become either funny or painful on subsequent viewings for the same reasons.

Cheesy movies get funnier and funnier.

Pretty much what Sparkchaser said.

Also, some movies require at least 2 viewings. David Lynch springs to mind.

I agree.If you have seen Monty Python and The Holy Grail,you would see what sparkchaser means by cheesy movies getting funnier and funnier.:D

A lot of movies demand a second viewing. For example, watch Fight Club with the twist known and you can see the clues smacking you in the face the whole time.

I saw "Fight Club." I loved it. I didn't see that particular twist coming, but when it happened, I wasn't shocked.

I prefer the originality of the initial viewing.

I do watch many movies more than once but the first time is easily the best. There are little things in some movies that you pick up on later but they are just not as enjoyable when you know what is coming generally.

File it under this.

law of diminishing returns
n.
The tendency for a continuing application of effort or skill toward a particular project or goal to decline in effectiveness after a certain level of result has been achieved.

The Blues Brothers

I often view the same movie multiple times after many years have passed. Usually, I wait somewhere between 5-10 years. Of course, some movies pass the test of MY time, others don't.

Which movies are just as good, if not better, the second or third time? Which movies are worse?

I will first start off with my most obvious choice: Star Wars. I watched Star Wars as a kid and loved it. When I discovered through my movie history book that Annie Hall won the Best Picture Oscar the same year Star Wars was nominated, I was soooo pissed that I threw things. I threw a tantrum. Well, several years later, when I was in my 20s, I grew to hate Star Wars and loved Annie Hall so much that Annie Hall has made the prestigios list of my favorite 10 movies of all-time!

A more recent example is Butterfly Effect. I loved loved loved it the first time. A few years later, I wanted to show this movie to my parents and whlie watching it, I thought to myself, "What crap!" LOL!

I can't explain this phenomenon other than the fact that I matured over the years.
I recall the first time I saw The Blues Brothers, with James belushi and Dan Ackroyd back in the 80's for the first time. I'd heard so much about it. However, I wasn't too impressed the first time I watched , but after the second time I strangely loved it and god only knows how many times myself and even my children now have seen it. A great classic movie.

I suppose, its a bit like hearing a record for the first time that doesn't really float your boat and then later it starts to grow on you.

Regards

Steve

I prefer the originality of the initial viewing.

I do watch many movies more than once but the first time is easily the best. There are little things in some movies that you pick up on later but they are just not as enjoyable when you know what is coming generally.

File it under this.

Yes good movies can be enjoyable to watch many times, but the first time is the best.

I didn't love The Princess Bride until I had seen it a second time.

And I used to be very against watching movies edited for TV because the best parts were usually cut out. However, after watching Troy on TV, I've come to the conclusion that it's better when it's hacked away. ;)

The Unforgiven

Well guys, last night I dived into my old movie collection and brushed the dust of one of the best Cowboy movies I've ever seen. Its called The Unforgiven with Clint eastwood playing William Munny.

I'm a big fan of Clint and like most of his movies. This film also starts Gene Hackman and Morgan Freeman, who tend to be labelled with making good watchable movies, which are not your average run of the mill stuff.

Cheers

Steve

Back