• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Seeing a film, then in retrospect, reading the book

LaGs

I have done this a couple of times now and in each case, I usually find myself being disappointed with the way the book has panned out for me, with one big exception.

The first one is The Shining. Probably my favourite horror film directed by one of the best directors ever, Stanley Kubrick. I loved this film so much, and was so intrigued by it, i was very curious to read the book; But when i eventually read it, i found the film to be too ingrained in my head to let Stephen king's own version really capture me. In certain chapters, i was visualising scenes from the film, rather than something different; and when i noticed certain differences, they annoyed me, when in other circumstances, they might have impressed me. (In the book, the bit with the moving hedges for e.g)

The next one is American Psycho, a film i really liked. I found it strangely funny, and i really enjoyed the subtle satire that much of the dialogue was about. Recently I bought Bret-Easton Ellis' novel expecting it to be full of the same satire and wit; instead I got crude, and unbearably lengthy, descriptions detailing products and designer clothes. It was a nightmare to read, to be honest, as it is far less subtle than the film. At times, the violence seems gratuitous, and pointless; whereas in the film, the ambiguous interpretation at the end at least allowed the violence to have some kind of point. In all, i was disappointed.

Having said that, the one big exception for me, is trainspotting. The book is one of my absolute favourites; in a way I think it is a kind of masterpiece. It is very well written, very articulate. At times it is laugh-out-loud funny, hideously depraved, yet at the same time you find yourself moved by the characters. Very few books have done this for me.

Anyways, i could ramble all day about this...But has anyone else found this a problem? Maybe in future i should make a point to read the books first, rather than the other way round :innocent:

Btw, has anyone any suggestions about famous films where the book version is as good, if not better? It is a kind of weird hobby for me :)

Well the very first movie that came to mind is The Remains of The Day.

I will give your question more though.

__

Well I've only got into the Harry Potter fandom lately (great time eh?) I loved the movies as a kid, but never was really motivated to read the books. But now at least I'll be able to watch the last movie and know what will happen :)

I have always ended up reading the book then watching the movie. When I do this though, I don't seem to like the movie as much. The book is always better. Then it bothers me because I have already developed what the characters look like and such. The movie always is different from the way I picture them. The books have always been better for me no matter and I think this is because my own imagination can run wild :)

I always try and read the book first if I can. For example "The Lincoln Lawyer" is a new movie out now. When I saw they were making a film based on the book. I went out and bought the book and read it. In some cases I have re-read a book in preparation for seeing the film.

Now I have seen movie adaptations first then read the book. I do not like this scenario as much, for the reasons the OP stated.

I always try and read the book first if I can. For example "The Lincoln Lawyer" is a new movie out now. When I saw they were making a film based on the book. I went out and bought the book and read it. In some cases I have re-read a book in preparation for seeing the film.

Now I have seen movie adaptations first then read the book. I do not like this scenario as much, for the reasons the OP stated.

Yea this is a smart way of going about it and i definitely should do that in future!

I tend to have seen a lot of famous, classic films that have been out for at least a number of years. Them being famous the likelihood of me seeing the film first was always going to happen! I read Mario Puzo's book The Godfather after watching the film and even though it is very well written, i still preferred the film.

I'm tempted to read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest since it is one of my all-time favourites, anyone read and seen both think it would be a good idea? :)

Yea this is a smart way of going about it and i definitely should do that in future!

I tend to have seen a lot of famous, classic films that have been out for at least a number of years. Them being famous the likelihood of me seeing the film first was always going to happen! I read Mario Puzo's book The Godfather after watching the film and even though it is very well written, i still preferred the film.

I'm tempted to read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest since it is one of my all-time favourites, anyone read and seen both think it would be a good idea? :)

It's been awhile, but I read the book first, then saw the movie. I enjoyed both, but the movie was very much a Jack Nicholson vehicle. I think you'll find more depth of character in the book. So, yes, read the book.

Well I read both ‘Angels & Demons’ and ‘The Da Vinci Code’ some time after seeing the films, but not as a direct result of watching the films.
After reading the books I did go and get ‘The Lost Symbol’ though, and I think that was the best of the three books.

Almost every time I’ve done it the other way around I’ve ended up disappointed with the film though. The only exception to this being ‘Misery.’

Watching books on film carries the danger of replacing a rich and complex experience by an overly simplified, bareboned one.

My most recent experience was watching on tape the television series on John Adams, based on the the David McCullough biography which I had read a few years ago.

My general impression is that the two principal actors, Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney (as John Adams and his influencial wife, Abigail) gave a very different rendition of the personalities of the main characters from what I had imagined them to be as I read the book. They became much more one-dimensional, for example.

Their personal communication style, as rendered by the actors, became an irritant to me. Adams way of speaking made him appear as somewhat shifty and untrustworthy, a 18th Century Dick Cheney. Abigail, as a condescending know-it-all.

Now that I have seen the movie, I have find it hard to return to my previous impression of a complex man married to a very strong and intelligent woman.

I always try to treat the book and movie as separate entities so that I can enjoy them both. Books are definitely better most of the time, but I can still enjoy the movies if I don't go into it with high hopes

Great books, Bad Movies :
The Haunting of Hill House,The Shining, DaVinci Code, The Time Machine, The Picture of Dorian Grey, Dracula, Lolita.

Great Books, Good Movies :
Blindness, Perfume, Girl with a Pearl Earring, Memoir of a Geisha, Piano.

Awful book, Great Movie :
The Bridges of Madison County .

Back