• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Self Promotion

sirmyk

To keep from obtaining a third warning, I will no longer speak of this "book that shall not be named"... even though it's a freakin' thread created by another forum member with my freakin' name used in the title...

But please, feel free to ask questions... I just won't be able to answer them.

@#$%@!!! :mad:

Okay... breathe.

Such a pity that you won't be able to talk of "the book", I was really looking forward to having you in the discussion when I was done reading it :(

Ronny said:
Such a pity that you won't be able to talk of "the book", I was really looking forward to having you in the discussion when I was done reading it :(
Yes, it may be difficult to discuss that one thing that happens in the plot during one of the stories, and to ponder over whether or not that one character overcomes that thing he or she is trying to overcome in a certain section of "the book" where he or she is doing that one thing with the other thing while thinking of something else.

So then where will I be without you to clear it up for me? You know I need answers, guidance, serious help.

Ronny said:
So then where will I be without you to clear it up for me? You know I need answers, guidance, serious help.
Well, since I'll be banned by then, I guess I'll add my e-mail address to my profile tonight so it is easily accessable when I'm gone (poof!).

This is just ridiculous. How often do we have the chance to discuss a book with the author? I only had that chance once and just because the playwright was one of my teachers. Now that we have that opportunity, sirmyk is not allowed to discuss it. So it's fine to discuss unpublished stories and poems but not published work. Kids can put their awful homework in the writers showcase and comment on it but a writer has to keep his mouth shut? It doesn't make sense:mad:

This is just silly. What the point of this board if the only discussions we are allowed to have is about what you like to deep fry and if you fart or not? As clueless said, how often do you get the chance to actually discuss the book with the author? Sirmyk is just answering questions about his book in this thread opened by another member. What is the real problem? Is it that he offers to send a copy to those that are unable to buy his book elsewhere?

Zolipara said:
Sirmyk is just answering questions about his book in this thread opened by another member. What is the real problem?
Zolipara,
I won't dispute the advantages and pleasures of discussing a book with the author. Nor do I know what the real problem is. But I do think the opening of this thread is a little more ambigous than you suggest by using the words: 'just answering questions.'
Peder

I dont want to go into a real discussion about it, but if anyone has promoted the book in this thread it is Jay, not Sirmyk.

I would say the self-promotion is more in the October Book of the Month thread where he continues to say "vote for me, vote for me", which, I suppose, is no different than linda's "vote for zafon, vote for zafon" enthusiasm.

Zolipara said:
I dont want to go into a real discussion about it, but if anyone has promoted the book in this thread it is Jay, not Sirmyk.

Talking of Jay, where is he? not heard from him in ages :confused:
Sorry if I have gone off topic... seeing his name I just wondered.

I agree totally with what has been said - it seems ridiculous that we can talk of other books, but not the one book that we can actually discuss with the author. Does someone have an explination for this? I don't see any reason why he should not be able to answer questions that have been directed to him by another member.

Peder said:
But I do think the opening of this thread is a little more ambigous than you suggest by using the words: 'just answering questions.'
Peder
But if you will notice, Jay started this thread /not/ Sirmyk. And if you were around when Jay was here then you will realise that he is not one to start something because someone else told him to. I was extremely interested in this thread when it first started, as it was a once in a life time chance to actually fully discuss a book with its author.

Just my 2 cents.

Erica said:
Talking of Jay, where is he? not heard from him in ages :confused:
Sorry if I have gone off topic... seeing his name I just wondered.
He left the boards about a week ago. I'm not sure if I should go any further, but he had his reasons :)

Stewart said:
I would say the self-promotion is more in the October Book of the Month thread where he continues to say "vote for me, vote for me", which, I suppose, is no different than linda's "vote for zafon, vote for zafon" enthusiasm.
Essentially it is no different. At least IMO.

I am pretty shocked by the things that I have to assume people are complaining about regarding sirmyk. I wish people could use the pm function and, for the lack of a better word, confront a person about a problem in a direct manner.

The best way I can think of to help out sirmyk is for somebody to read the book, and start a thread on it specifically. Then it can be discussed by everyone in the open without conflict of the forum policies.

And just to be clear....I don't see that sirmyk has done anything wrong. Nothing that deserves strikes towards banning....The guy has well over 1000 posts and certainly does not make himself, and his book the number one priority in most of his comments.

I just don't see how anybody can have a problem regarding this issue. It's very frustrating. The guy is a writer, and a reader, and a participant of this forum on a regular basis who adds humor, spice and intelligence. To be honest...I'm pissed off to have learned there's a problem like this.

Motokid said:
The best way I can think of to help out sirmyk is for somebody to read the book, and start a thread on it specifically. Then it can be discussed by everyone in the open without conflict of the forum policies.
That's the most confusing thing about these warnings.. someone already did this. Jay was the one who started the thread on his book, not sirmyk himself. And I don't see how him answering questions posed to him by other members who have already read his book can be considered wrong.

But Jay, or nobody else as far as I can tell have actually read the book yet, or if they have, they have not started a thread specifically to discuss it.

Politics and religion topics are not allowed unless they are directly related to a specific book. Check out the I, Lucifer thread. It's fine to discuss the Devil and God there as long as you do it in direct reference to the book....assuming you've read the book I guess.

My guess would be that the complaints are not about Jays thread. I would hope the mods could plainly see that Sirmyk could not have possibly had anything to do with Jay starting this. That's certainly not Jay's style. I think what Jay did was awesome. The complaints must have been about other comments, threads, or posts....please tell me it's that...please....

Motokid said:
But Jay, or nobody else as far as I can tell have actually read the book yet, or if they have, they have not started a thread specifically to discuss it.
I think that cluess and a few other people have. Don't quote me on that though.

My guess would be that the complaints are not about Jays thread. I would hope the mods could plainly see that Sirmyk could not have possibly had anything to do with Jay starting this. That's certainly not Jay's style. I think what Jay did was awesome. The complaints must have been about other comments, threads, or posts....please tell me it's that...please....
I think that the complaints relate more to the "vote for me! vote for me!" posts and such that were in the BOTM voting thread, but as Stewart has already stated, this is no different from someone else urging people to vote for another particular author. It may also refer to his offers for sales, but I don't see any reason that his offering to help out people should be punished. If it wasn't for this offer I would never have been able to get my hands on a copy for a reasonable price.

Back