• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Self Promotion

sirmyk said:
I'm the character who shaved his head and slashed his wrists all to hell.

LOL-sounds good, I'll opt for being the brother who dresses his kids in athletic-warm up suits. :D

In all seriousness, you should stick around. For what it's worth, you've had some good posts here as of late that I noticed.

I think this is a very sensitive issue, but also an important one. From what I've seen here, the self promotion rule usually works to prevent people from jumping on, posting a few 'buy my book' notices and then departing forever. In the case of sirmyk, however, it's a little more difficult because he is a regular poster who is here for more than just self-promotion. I think a look at the membership agreement is in order to prevent this happening again.

Some suggestions:

1. Regarding the Book of the Month poll, Sirmyk already suggested that a modification be made to the allowability of voters. Here are some rules from a Coke competition:

The iCoke.ca "Sony Grand WEGA 50" LCD TV Contest" is open to individual residents of Canada, except (i) the employees, officers, directors, representatives and agents of Coca-Cola Ltd., authorized bottlers or distributors of Coca-Cola products, its and their respective advertising and promotion agencies, or any of the respective affiliates, related entities, successors or assigns; (ii) employees of any reuse or recycling depot; or (iii) persons domiciled with any of the above.
It would be simple to add a sticky in the Book of the Month discussion section along these lines and require that people affiliated with any nomitated book, whether author of family member or close friend offline, be prevented from voting. If it was noticed that a large number of new members were voting for one particular book that could be investigated further.

2. Discussions with the author. Many people have stated that the opportunity to discuss a book with the author would be great, and it is a shame that the forum regulations prevent this. Would it be possible for an author to apply to have a thread discussing their work? This would be a single thread in the author's section which the moderators establish wherein the author can address readers and answer their questions. The moderators could have criteria for whether they allowed such a thread based on the author's membership (ie: length of membership, activity on the forum) and reknown (if the author has already been mentioned on the forum prior to their becoming a member and there is thus an established interest). This way there can be that dialogue between author and reader, and it is moderator-endorsed discussion which is confined to a single thread. Outside that thread the usual rules against self-promotion would apply.

Kookamoor said:
It would be simple to add a sticky in the Book of the Month discussion section along these lines and require that people affiliated with any nomitated book, whether author of family member or close friend offline, be prevented from voting.
Moderators, I think this is the solution.

If it was noticed that a large number of new members were voting for one particular book that could be investigated further.
Investigation should be in order if there is a sudden rush of newbie posters voting for any book on the poll.

Many people have stated that the opportunity to discuss a book with the author would be great, and it is a shame that the forum regulations prevent this.
Why is Kookamoor not yet a moderator? She is the Jedi who brings balance to the force on this forum.

Would it be possible for an author to apply to have a thread discussing their work? This would be a single thread in the author's section which the moderators establish wherein the author can address readers and answer their questions. The moderators could have criteria for whether they allowed such a thread based on the author's membership (ie: length of membership, activity on the forum) and reknown (if the author has already been mentioned on the forum prior to their becoming a member and there is thus an established interest). This way there can be that dialogue between author and reader, and it is moderator-endorsed discussion which is confined to a single thread. Outside that thread the usual rules against self-promotion would apply.
Yup.

You mean here on the forum? The only time I've really been bothered by self promotion is when I've seen someone join, start like 3 threads in different areas that were all just an ad for their book/site.

sirmyk said:
What is everyone's take on self-promotion? Where are the boundaries?
Sirmyk,
I couldn't begin to tell you, because they are widely different on different sites even with the same written member agreements. In one site I know, actors give details of prices, performances and roles, and get high fives for their good fortune. Another site bars promotion of any sort, whether self- or other. And I haven't been here long enough to say anything about this site. So I think you just have to feel your way, go easily realizing the risks involved, and hope for some forebearance. But, as was mentioned (I think), if you have an inner grudge it will come out in your posts one way or another and it won't help. Getting one's inner self under control is the hard part for me, but it is all I can offer.
Peder

Oops, correction

Peder said:
Sirmyk,
... In one site I know, actors give details of prices, performances and roles, and get high fives for their good fortune.....
Peder
On second thought, that site probably has no rule against self-promotion, at least that I can recall. But the rest of my post stands as is.
P.

sirmyk said:

Fortunately, or unfortunately (and this applies to many things besides self-promotion) everything is pretty much allowed here at TBF, until just one, single person complains, then the ax falls. Then we have fall-out for a while. Then things get back to normal. The fortunately or unfortunately part depends on where, or on whom the ax falls.

The only way to pevent that is to have the mods use a heavy hand on what's allowed and what's not...and who wants that?

So we either plod along, happily pushing the envelope of what the rules allow until we get caught, or we have a forum that many people would not want to be a part of.

sirmyk said:

I run an ad agency. For anyone promoting any product:

A sense of humor helps.
Listen to feedback.
Don't waste people's time.
Don't be too intrusive.
Be yourself.
Be unique.
Be succinct.
Image matters.
On the Internet, people expect personal communication. Everyone hates spam.
Don't take rejection personally. You can't sell to everyone.
Learn from your mistakes, but don't give up.

It all sounds very sensible, Doug. But how could anyone possibly define "too intrusive" on a forum with a multitude of members such as TBF? Very few people put their boundaries in exactly the same place. Also: exactly when will people consider their time wasted? Very individual definition there. And: What is hilarious to me may be utterly insulting to you - so sense of humour? Whose sense of humour? To be oneself - yep, but what if said 'self' really sin't neither nice, nor fun to talk to?

So you see, even such basic and seemingly precise rules can be very vague when applied to reality ;)

Jemima Aslana said:
So you see, even such basic and seemingly precise rules can be very vague when applied to reality ;)

Maybe, but people are vague. The way to deal with them is listen. If people like you and buy your book, you're doing a good job. If they're complaining, you're not. Just listen.

I haven't been hanging around here too long, but I imagine it's the same as anywhere. If people at your church or work like you, they might buy your book. If you're in their face, pushing your wares constantly, they'll get irratated and they probably won't.

Doug Johnson said:
I haven't been hanging around here too long, but I imagine it's the same as anywhere. If people at your church or work like you, they might buy your book. If you're in their face, pushing your wares constantly, they'll get irratated and they probably won't.
Aye, but you can't please everyone, and some people can get annoyed over something the majority would find inconsequential, but as someone else stated: all we need is a complaint from one person, who may or may not be oversensitive. So even acting like everyone else does won't necessarily keep you safe.

As for Catcher in the Rye... I greatly disliked that book, it gave me nothing, and keep wondering why we had to read it. With my statement I mostly had myself in mind. Trust me, I'm among the more mean and sarcastic people you can meet on my local campus, if I came here behaving like the git I actually am I'd be banned in no time. So I for one will not be entirely myself when posting on here.

We live in a world so paranoid over political correctness that the only way to remain inoffensive is to say nothing at all.

sirmyk said:
We live in a world so paranoid over political correctness that the only way to remain inoffensive is to say nothing at all.

I'm not so concerned about correctness, as often I just don't care. It seems that people so often like to complain of politics but so few vote or write to their reps and it just seems so frustrating to listen and know they will do nothing. I don't know a lot about politics but I do know that many do nothing about their beliefs.

Back