• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

She's never gonna write another Book, again

eyez0nme

There's this one girl from Harvard who was caught plagerism from another writer. Lmao. What has the publishing company stooped to? They're publish any crap they see that will make a profit. James Frey. Now this. Horrible.

Libra6Poe said:
Publisher Recalls Kaavya Viswanathan’s Book

I personally didn't care about the James Frey thing. As long as the story and writing is good, I could care less if it's true or not/embellished.

Whoa, that article is pretty harsh. I agree with your thoughts on James Frey though, what does it matter if its embellished? Why ruin a good story with truth, after all.

Tom said:
Whoa, that article is pretty harsh. I agree with your thoughts on James Frey though, what does it matter if its embellished? Why ruin a good story with truth, after all.
Right on. And as for the article, that was the first one I came across... :eek:

I love her excuse for it-something along the lines of reading someone else's work and then "itnernalizing" it after some time. Smart enough to get into Harvard but dumb enough not to know where her ideas came from................sure.:rolleyes:

How do you think she got into Harvard? Hell, how does anyone get into pretigious schools? Is it about ones accountability? One's responsibility? One's perseverance and creativity?

It's about tests. Transcripts.

And more tests.

Nothing more.

Going to university or college will not determine how sucessful you are in real life. I've seen graduates licking crumbs from the floor even with a degree--a piece of f**king paper that does nothing for you.

Ironically, those recalled books will actually be worth something:D

Wow, what a strange story this is--did she do it because she felt pressured to make a deadline? There were 60 passages that were plagarized! What was she thinking?

Why do you think she plagerized 40 - 60 pages in the first place?

Where do you think she learned this from? Where do you learn this from?

This is how we graduate highschool, to go into college, then in college, to graduate into a career--(which is the flaw). By cheating on our homework and test. What is the percentage of students cheating? Around 80 to 90%. statistics show. She tried using these same tactics in writing a novel. F*king sad.

eyez0nme said:
This is how we graduate highschool, to go into college, then in college, to graduate into a career--(which is the flaw). By cheating on our homework and test. What is the percentage of students cheating? Around 80 to 90%. statistics show. She tried using these same tactics in writing a novel. F*king sad.
Good point. A friend of mine's a high school teacher. At this point, she's pretty much given up; when students hand in their papers she asks them what she'll find if she googles a phrase from them - and more often than not, the students ask for two days extension to rewrite. What's she going to do, fail everybody? It's the age of the remake, the cover version and the copycat...

beer good said:
Good point. A friend of mine's a high school teacher. At this point, she's pretty much given up; when students hand in their papers she asks them what she'll find if she googles a phrase from them - and more often than not, the students ask for two days extension to rewrite. What's she going to do, fail everybody? It's the age of the remake, the cover version and the copycat...

Oh lord, grading papers is a royal pain. People think research is really copying and pasting.:rolleyes: I don't assign papers, too irritating for me and causes too many fights with parents who back their little cheater.:mad:

and guess wat..now her other articles and all r being reviewed to see if they have been copied frm their too!

u know, problem with ppl these days is tht they dont even copy well! :D

u know, problem with ppl these days is tht they dont even copy well!

Apparently Kaavya Viswanathan wasn't content to plagiarize from just one author when she "wrote" her book How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild, and Got a Life. The New York Times is reporting that Ms. Viswanathan stole other parts of her book from bestselling British author Sophie Kinsella, who writes the "Shopaholic" series.
At least three portions in the book, "How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild, and Got a Life," by Kaavya Viswanathan, bear striking similarities to writing in "Can You Keep a Secret?," a chick-lit novel by Sophie Kinsella. The New York Times was alerted to the similarities by a phone call from a reader.

The plots of the two books are different — Ms. Kinsella's novel is about a young British woman who unwittingly confesses her secrets to a man on a plane, only to discover he is the American head of the company for which she works, while Ms. Viswanathan's is about an Indian-American girl struggling to get into Harvard. But the phrasing and structure of some passages is nearly identical. In one scene in Ms. Kinsella's book, which was published by Dial Press, the main character, Emma, comes upon two of her friends "in a full-scale argument about animal rights," and one says, "The mink like being made into coats." In Ms. Viswanathan's book, Opal, the heroine, encounters two girls having "a full-fledged debate over animal rights." "The foxes want to be made into scarves," one of them says.

There are echoes in another scene in which one of Ms. Kinsella's characters threatens another, "And we'll tell everyone you got your Donna Karan coat from a discount warehouse shop." In Ms. Viswanathan's version, Opal threatens another girl, Priscilla, saying, "I'll tell everyone that in eighth grade you used to wear a 'My Little Pony' sweatshirt to school every day."

Details and descriptions are also similar. Jack, the love interest in Ms. Kinsella's novel has a scar on his hand; so does Sean, the romantic hero in "Opal." Jack has "eyes so dark they're almost black," so does Sean. The passages are clustered in the final third of Ms. Viswanathan's book. Sophie Kinsella is the pen name of Madeleine Wickham, the British author of the popular "Shopaholic" series. "Can You Keep a Secret?," Ms. Kinsella's first novel published in hardcover in the United States, came out here in 2004, more than a year before Ms. Viswanathan began writing "Opal," and the book spent six weeks on the New York Times hardcover fiction best-seller list.
We have the feeling that this may not be the end of this story. So, who will the third plagiarized author be?

In light of the new revelations that Kaavya Viswanathan apparently also plagiarized the work of bestselling author Meg Cabot (that makes three authors, if you're keeping score at home), Little, Brown has thrown up its hands in dismay and sensibly cancelled Ms. Viswanathan's two book contract. The publisher will not be issuing a revised version of How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild, and Got a Life, no doubt fearing that the rest of the book will turn out to have been cobbled together using passages from every author from Nora Roberts to Helen Fielding.
"Little, Brown and Company will not be publishing a revised edition of `How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild, and Got a Life' by Kaavya Viswanathan, nor will we publish the second book under contract," Michael Pietsch, Little Brown's senior vice president and publisher, said in a statement. Little, Brown, which had withdrawn the book last week, declined further comment. Tuesday's decision caps a stunning downfall for the 19-year-old Viswanathan, a Harvard sophomore with a reported six-figure book deal whose novel came out in March to widespread attention. Viswanathan (prounounced Kah-vee-uh Viss-wahn-uh-thon), who was just 17 when she signed the deal, did not immediately return calls for comment Tuesday.

The Harvard Crimson, alerted by reader e-mails, reported Tuesday on its Web site that "Opal Mehta" contained passages similar to Meg Cabot's 2000 novel, "The Princess Diaries." The New York Times also reported comparable material in Viswanathan's novel and Sophie Kinsella's "Can You Keep a Secret?"

In Cabot's "The Princess Diaries," published by HarperCollins, the following passage appears on page 12: "There isn't a single inch of me that hasn't been pinched, cut, filed, painted, sloughed, blown dry, or moisturized. ... Because I don't look a thing like Mia Thermopolis. Mia Thermopolis never had fingernails. Mia Thermopolis never had blond highlights."

In Viswanathan's book, page 59 reads: "Every inch of me had been cut, filed, steamed, exfoliated, polished, painted, or moisturized. I didn't look a thing like Opal Mehta. Opal Mehta didn't own five pairs of shoes so expensive they could have been traded in for a small sailboat."
Note to aspiring plagiarists: in the Internet Age all plagiarists eventually get caught.

this is beyond retardation

SFG75 said:
Smart enough to get into Harvard but dumb enough not to know where her ideas came from................sure.:rolleyes:

Smart enough to get into Harvard but copies from such paper thin shit?

Stewie, maybe she figured that such tripe is so prevalent that nobody would remember where they read something before.

Back