• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

short story idea. help please!

TRACEYshep1

I have got an germ of an idea for a short story for a competion. The only trouble is im having a problem with a theme and general plot. My idea is of a blind man alone in his home with something or someone stalking him. I just liked the idea of the man telling the story from his feelings and other senses, ie sound, smell, touch.

Why do you feel you need a theme or a plot? Just let whatever's touching him evoke memories and take it from there. Usually things fall into place and once the first draft is down you can scour it for subliminal ideas and then target them in a second draft.

You already have the general plot: you are a blind man in your home and someone is stalking you. That plot also contains the themes as you put yourself in the skin of that blind person and react. Are you helpless? Afraid? Maybe your blindness has made you hyper-aware and confident of your other senses.

When I write something I usually throw the opening section away later - or move it to a different location in the piece. That's probably because the hardest part is getting started so I fumble around a lot. So now that I have realized that, I just suspend judgment and march ahead.

Seems to me like it would be a good idea to decide what type of story you want it to be. Obviously it could be scary, but for a fun twist it sounds like the type of thing you could make funny in the end - something silly has been "stalking" the guy around his house, instead of something scary. It sounds like you have a fun idea though - using all his senses to tell the story instead of normal sight - it should make it really interesting for the reader to try and figure out what's going on too. Good luck to you!

You could turn this into a mystery by developing the character's history. Every time he touches, smells or hears something it gives him a flash back that explains why he feels he is being stalked. If you are writing from a first person POV you could play with his doubts. Ie. Is he actually being stalked or is he simply paranoid.

Back