• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Signed Books

cabrasopa

Have you had a book signed by the author (not a organised book signing) and what's your story?
No one famous for me, although I was given a signed autobiograhy 'A Dysfunctional Youth' by Eric Goulden AKA 'Wreckless Eric' from the Punk Rock days who i met through a friend. I've had quite a few signed by new authors (friends and friends of friends) who gave me advanced copies.

I have a few signed books. I have a signed Christopher Fowler, but no-one seems to read him! A few Aussie authors and of course, my mother's books.

I have The Balloonists by Eula Biss signed. She was friends with my creative writing teacher my senior year at UMASS. Her book was required reading for the class. She stopped by to read a bit to our class and she signed my book afterwards.

Which, if anyone is looking for a unique read, I would highly recomend The Balloonists. I'm not into poetry, but I read this in one sitting.

signed but haven't read ;)

Brian Greene's "The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality"

Tom Clancy's "The Teeth of the Tiger"

The only one I've got that is signed is James Ellroy's My Dark Places. When it was released in hardback Books-A-Million had to order it for me, since they didn't have it in the store, and when I got it, it was signed!

Geenh said:
I have a few signed books. I have a signed Christopher Fowler, but no-one seems to read him! A few Aussie authors and of course, my mother's books.
Geenh, this is great! What does your mom write?

Psych/woman's issues. She has written and produced a movie as well. Currently writing something about some kids in Africa for some reason (I forgot!). She's the super-creative one.

I've written poems and stories but no-one seems to understand them.

Geenh said:
Psych/woman's issues. She has written and produced a movie as well.

That's very cool! I'll understand if you want to protect her and your anonymity, but I'm curious as to what the movie was. Would I know it?

I'm not entirely sure whether or not you'd know it. It was runner up for an award of some sort. It was a movie about a 'housemate" kind of situation. I suppose it's a matter of where you're located as to whether or not you';ve seen/heard of it.

Geenh said:
I'm not entirely sure whether or not you'd know it. It was runner up for an award of some sort. It was a movie about a 'housemate" kind of situation. I suppose it's a matter of where you're located as to whether or not you';ve seen/heard of it.

Hmm... I'm assuming it wasn't 'He Died with a Felafel in his Hand'... I'm originally from the Melbourne-ish area.

Ahhh. He who likes Hawthorn Hawks was raised in Doncaster.

My mother is American. She lives in Nebraska or Hawai'i.

I have Galilee (hardback) by Clive Barker and something I won from this site - can't remember the name of the book or the author though.

cabrasopa said:
Have you had a book signed by the author (not a organised book signing) and what's your story?
No one famous for me, although I was given a signed autobiograhy 'A Dysfunctional Youth' by Eric Goulden AKA 'Wreckless Eric' from the Punk Rock days who i met through a friend. I've had quite a few signed by new authors (friends and friends of friends) who gave me advanced copies.

I havent' met any authorrs yet but my dad used to be a taxi driver and managed to get a few signed for me with little comments, usually about my dads driving :rolleyes: These two I remember ...

Fay Weldon (Letters to Alice)
Sue Townsend (Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, aged 13 3/4)

Alice

There were two threads on signed books revealed by a search. This was slightly newer so I chose it. :) I like signed books, particularly if the author signs it in person.

I have the following signed:

JPod, Hey Nostradamus! and Microserfs signed by Douglas Coupland in person.
Never Cry Wolf, Bay of Spirits and The Boat Who Wouldn't Float signed in person by Farley Mowat.
The Colony of Unrequited Dreams, The Navigator of New York, Human Amusements and The Custodian of Paradise signed by Wayne Johnston in person.
A galley copy of David Richard Adams book Friends of Meager Fortune signed by the author in person.

I picked up Oracle Night in hardcover as a remainder signed. I got a signed copy of Tim Winton's The Turning along with a signed copy of Jonathon Franzen's The Discomfort Zone at a Harper Collins event.

Back