• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Silent Movies

I've been meaning to buy Das Kabinett des Doktor Caligari and Metropolis for some time now.

I like old movies, not necessarily silent, but a vast number of monochrome movies were great and, to this day, still are. Comedy, romance, horror. It's a pity Peter Jackson decided to remake King Kong since it is fine as it is.

I assume Charlie Chaplin movies won't be too hard to find. "The Gold Rush," for example, is great. "Modern Times" is interesting because it was made after sound was well established. It flirts with sound in clever ways, and also has an engaging score. I think it's his best.

Then of course there's "Silent Movie" by Mel Brooks.

Stewart said:
I've been meaning to buy Das Kabinett des Doktor Caligari
Me too, but I don't really know where to start looking and it's not like I have that much money to spend anyway, so importing it would be a bit difficult I think.
Mari said:
I assume Charlie Chaplin movies won't be too hard to find.
I know, but those Chaplin DVD boxes are damn expensive. I try to watch them as much as possible when they show them on TV, but it's always Laurel & Hardy instead.

Potemkin is one of my favourites too, as are many of Chaplin's. Another one is Fritz Lang's Metropolis.

Potemkin was a bit of a disappointment to me, actually. I was really looking forward to watching it, but to be honest, I thought it was a bit boring.

the Gold Rush

I know, but those Chaplin DVD boxes are damn expensive.

Try Netflix. I have an el cheapo subscription.

I just watched The Gold Rush. What a gem. I had seen excepts before, but never the part where the cabin teeters on the cliff and the two men scramble to get out. The body language and ridiculous situations put Bugs Bunny to shame.

Back