• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Sounds?

Do you like music/sound while you read?

• Total voters

Wabbit

Hi all :)

Something Martin ( not me! lol ) said in a posting got me a thinkin.

I'm sitting here ( it's midnight and I am still not tired. coffee maybe at fault. ) surfin around and listening to music. I was thinking about maybe hitting my sofa and reading more of The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks. I was thinking; Shall I change the music or keep what is playing?

So here is the question: how many of you like to have music, or any sound, while you read?

If you DO like music, then what do you like to listen to while reading? For reading, I normally like something soft and unobtrusive. I normally play classical or ambient. At the moment I am playing a loud rock... so if I do read then I think I will change it lol

Well? :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

PS: Like the new smilies!

I like silence when I read....as I prefer to focus on the book. This goes for reading anything from stuff for fun to stuff for class, but then again, I live in silence. I'm not a big talker and I typically only listen to music when I'm in my car.

I prefer silence when reading, but that is often hard to come by. Though, this week my wife is out of town and my stepson is at his dad's. So I've been enjoying the silence.

Normally, if there's too much noise in the house, such as TV in the other room or someone talking, I'll slip on the headphones with some new age or classical music to help drown out the din. Otherwise I have to keep reading the same thing over and over because I can't remember what I've just read. Unless it's a really, really good book. If so, I get lost in it and easily tune out everything else.

i am a big daydreamer. 1/4 th of my life i spend daydreaming. if i listen to music while reading i suddenly find myself to have spent hours just listening to the music with the book lying open on my table

cant do two things at the same time

but again if the book is amazing no music makes any difference

Noise. I need noise. When I'm at home I read in front of the tv, I don't normally have my music on as me and my bf have, um, divergent tastes. Of course this weekend he's away, so the flat is filled with the dulcet strains of metal and punk. If there's no noise then I tend to get distracted by the sound of my own thoughts and I can't concentrate. If there's noise, then the hyperactive part of my brain pisses off to listen to that, and leaves me to concentrate on whatever it is I'm doing.

Silence for me. I prefer silence but it is so damn hard to come by, so I am usually reading over the noise of the TV or music from other members of the household.

I don't really mind. I just post these links because some people that are still here already answered it, and I'm saving them the trouble of typing it all out again. ;)

Hey, I like typing! Also, I can't remember whether or not I answered this question already, and I'll be buggered if I'm gonna read through those old threads again.

Anyway, music for me. When I'm reading in the bus music is compulsory, simply to block out the chitter-chatter from my fellow travelers, and the excruciating noise the bus, which was built somewhere in the stoneages.

And when I'm at home, alone, on the sofa, I just do it because I like it, not because I must.

Both are no problem for me, I just enjoy it with music.

Cheers, Martin :D

I thought about saying I go both ways but that could be dangerous around here ;)
I prefer to have as little distraction as possible though.

RaVeN

So what you're saying is, you're a bisexual in denial who's got the attention span of brickwork?

Just checking.

Martin said:
So what you're saying is, you're a bisexual in denial who's got the attention span of brickwork?

Just checking.

What took you so long? :D

RaVeN

Martin said:
Hey, I like typing! Also, I can't remember whether or not I answered this question already, and I'll be buggered if I'm gonna read through those old threads again.

Is your memory really that bad? Poor Martin!

Yes, my memory is that bad, and i've checked, and I hadn't answered it yet.

So, there you go.

PS... Call me
I did. You're wife answered. So we going on a date this friday. You okay with that?

Cool.

Silence, definitely. Even the whiz of sparrows snowboarding down the roof slates distract me.
Okay, I made that up. They’re more often pecking at moss, in the rain. :(

Third Man Girl

Martin said:
I did. You're wife answered. So we going on a date this friday. You okay with that?

Cool.

You mean ex-wife? And I've got 2 of those so I wonder which one you talked to. Either way......you'll be sorrrrryyyyyyyy :D

RaVeN

Why didn't you say so? In that case you're in luck, both of them keep a running tab at the Holiday Inn.

RaVeN

Back