• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

spamming/hijacking?

jenn

are these different? what is the definition? when is it spamming/hijacking and when is it a conversation shift? please feel free to site examples. stillilearn and i are just curious. :)

Spamming, in my opinion is adding something completely unrelated to the thread...like making a goofy comment about Martin's breath in a thread about school dress codes.

Hijacking wold be steering the thread in a different direction than it's original intent. A hijacked thread could be split to continue in a seperate thread.

edit: spam is silly, hijack has merit but could stand on it's own, and probably should

IMO

Spamming, to me, would be posting something without any relevans at all, like penguin comments, unless of course it's a thread about penguins. Hijacking is to turn the thread into a conversation that it wasn't meant for and which has no relevans to any but a few.

This is the way I see it:

Spamming - posting nothing in relation to what anyone else has said, including those who are off topic. Random comments for the sake of getting attention or/and boosting post count. If the thread is about beer and I were to comment that you smell like poopie - that would be spamming.

Hijacking - is posting a topic within a topic for the purpose of taking attention away from the original topic. Say you just posted that your sister had a baby and I come along and post that my sister is pregnant and very ill . . . yadda yadda . . . and suddenly the thread is all about my sister instead of yours.

Derail - off-topic banter. It's harmless though not always appreciated.

i hate that kitty spider. it is the stuff of nightmares. freaks me out!!!!

hey quit spamming up my spam thread with spam. god! spammers.

isn't it about time someone hijacked this thread, where is my sister? she's brilliant at talking about herself.

Renee said:
Spamming - posting nothing in relation to what anyone else has said, including those who are off topic. Random comments for the sake of getting attention or/and boosting post count. If the thread is about beer and I were to comment that you smell like poopie - that would be spamming.

Hijacking - is posting a topic within a topic for the purpose of taking attention away from the original topic. Say you just posted that your sister had a baby and I come along and post that my sister is pregnant and very ill . . . yadda yadda . . . and suddenly the thread is all about my sister instead of yours.

Derail - off-topic banter. It's harmless though not always appreciated.

I think this is really well put Renee. I was going to reply here, but I think you said it perfectly.

I am actualy put off by some of the digression. I know it doesn't matter as I am rarely noticed and/or acknowledged.

I do miss straight book talk.

Geenh said:
I am actualy put off by some of the digression. I know it doesn't matter as I am rarely noticed and/or acknowledged.

I do miss straight book talk.

Are you looking for straight book talk in "General Chat"?

Do you find excessive spamming in areas outside of "General Chat"?

Since I pretty much live, eat, and breath in the general chat area I can't think of any real spamming I've seen in the few book discussion threads I've ventured into.

mehastings said:
I think this is really well put Renee. I was going to reply here, but I think you said it perfectly.

Thank you. I've had some experience as a mod and admin.

Spamming is when you fry up a disgusting meat substitute in butter; Hijacking is when you have sex on a plane.

Uhm... I'll just say it here and forget about it. I'm thinking all this self-policing/self-restraining of spamming or hijacking in all the other threads I'm reading is stifling the natural flow of threads, and makes it quite disappointing sometimes that someone wants to say something, but doesn't for fear of going off topic.

If possible, overlook the occassional spam or minor hijack, and bring turn the conversation back on its head if it bothers you. If it *really* bothers you, don't hesitate to drop a polite word to the hijacker/spammer - we're all friends, but sometimes we can get carried away.

This is just my opinion, I know probably lots of you don't share it, so please don't beat me up. :eek:

I'll get off the soapbox now. It's Mulholland Dr that did it...

ds

direstraits said:
If possible, overlook the occassional spam or minor hijack, and bring turn the conversation back on its head if it bothers you. If it *really* bothers you, don't hesitate to drop a polite word to the hijacker/spammer - we're all friends, but sometimes we can get carried away.

i agree, i don't think that any spammer (at least not me) would get upset if you tell them to stop or say something thats ON-.topic

Geenh said:

I couldn't agree with you more.......It doesn't matter. :D

Sorry. You shouldn't feed the animals. :eek:

RaVeN

Back