• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

spiritual books

mpop

kickbox
Hi,
I wanted to start a thread to ask you what spiritual books have you read.
I have been reading a lot of Osho books. For those of you who don't know who Osho is, he was a great Indian Mystic, that attracted thousands of foreigners to his ashram in Pune, India. His speeches and meditation techniques made him really famous in the 70s and 80s.
I have also read a few books on Hinduism and Buddhism thinking and religion, such as the works of Dalai Lama, which I had the honour to briefly saw in Dharamsala and Varanassi in my travels in India. I never had the opportunity to speak to him, as you know that it is so hard and only the rich and famous can get that privilege.

So how about you? what kind of spiritual books have you read that you enjoyed?

Sitaram is going to love this thread, it's right down his alley.:)

This is an area that I've dabbled in a bit. Jonathan Star wrote a book titled Two Suns Rising: A Collection of Sacred Writings. Star amassd important texts from Christian, Jewish, and eastern religious/philosophical sources. One of my personal favorites comes from the Upanishads.:cool:

There once lived a boy named Svetaketu. At the age of twelve his father said to him, "Son, go find a teacher and learn the sacred wisdom of the Vedas which everyone in our family knows." So Svetaketu went off. Twelve years later he returned-versed in all the Vedas, skilled in all the arts, proficient in all the sciences, and quite arrogant. His father said to him,

"Svetaketu, I see your knowledge is so great."

"Yes it is, sir."

"So tell me, have you ever asked for that knowledge whereby you can hear what cannot be heard, see what cannot be seen, and know what cannot be known?"

"What knowledge is that, sir?"

"By knowing one lump of clay, you know all that is made of clay; by knowing one nugget of gold, you know all that is made of gold, so, by knowing that one principle which fills the universe, you know all the universe."

"What principle is that, sir?"

"It is the principle of pure existence. It is the essence of that one Primal Being, who, at the very beginning, formed the universe, filled it with himself, and entered into every creature. That One alone is the essence of all, the soul of the world, the eternal truth, the Supreme Self; and, O Svetaketu, you are that!."

"Please sir, instruct me further."

"So be it, my son. Look at these rivers: some flow toward the east, others toward the west, but all come from the sea and all return to the sea. When they're surging rivers they know not where they come from, and where they merge into the sea as they no longer think, 'I am that river.' In the same way, all creatures in the world-a tiger, a lion, a bear, a wolf, a worm, a gnat, or a mosquito-have come from Pure Being yet do not know it. That one alone is the essence of all, the soul of the world, the eternal truth, the Supreme Self, and, O Svetaketu, you are That!."

"So be it, my son. Bring me a fruit from the Nyagoda tree." Svetaketu picked a fruit and brought it to his father.

"Here it is, sir."

"Break it open."

"I have broken it, sir."

"What do you see there?"

"Little seeds."

"Break open one of them."

"I have broken it, sir."

"What do you see there?"

"Nothing at all."

"My son, that subtle essence which you cannot see, it is by that very essence that this great Nyagroda tree stands. Believe it my son, that one alone is the essence of all, the soul of the world, the eternal truth, the Supreme Self: and, O Svetaketu, you are That!."

"So be it, my son. Put this salt in the water and come back tomorrow."

Svetaketu did so and returned the next morning. His father said,

"Please return to me the salt you placed in the water yesterday."

Svetaketu looked but could not find it.

"But sir, all the salt has dissolved."

"How does the water at the top taste?"

"Like salt."

"And at the middle?"

"Like salt."

"And at the bottom?"

"Like salt."

"My son, the salt remains in the water even though you do not see it; and though you do not see that Pure being he is fully present in you and everywhere else. That one alone is the essence of all, the soul of the world, the eternal truth, the Supreme Self; and, O Svetaketu, you are That! You are That!."
(Taken verbatim from the book mentioned above.)

I haven't really read any spiritual books in teh last few years. But I'm about to start a new one after I read one or two more others. It's called 'The big book of angels'. It really seems very interesting to me.

What do you think?

Book Description
Are angels for real?

A disabled young girl, lost for hours, reports that a "shining lady" brought her home. An angel comes to a woman in a dream, shaking her and rousing her from a near-fatal diabetic coma. A pair of angels delivers wood to a family snowed in by a blizzard. Are angels for real? Of course they are.

George Washington was inspired and comforted by an angel who visited him as he stood by his ragged troops during a difficult winter at Valley Forge. This angel laid out for him the promise and vision of a new nation. Charles Lindbergh saw "friendly, vaporlike shapes" who guided his voyage across the Atlantic in 1927. While praying for the safety of his son, a soldier, J. R. R. Tolkien received "a vision of divine light, which connected every human soul directly to God." And George Frideric Handel, at fifty-two, with one arm paralyzed, exclaimed on finishing the "Hallelujah Chorus," "I think I did see all Heaven open before me and the great God Himself."

Along with these incredible, comforting stories, The Big Book of Angels answers specific questions:

* What angels can and can't do
* Why they appear when they do
* What their purpose and nature is
* Whether we have guardian angels
* Whether it is possible to call angels in prayer or in times of need

The Big Book of Angels will help you surround yourself with love in your darkest moments, encourage you when hope is dim, and reassure you that you are not alone, that God is always close and always ready, willing, and able to reach out to you through his loving helpers.

Two Suns Rising: A Collection of Sacred Writings, sounds really cool. I might give it a shot to read it .

That dialogue was typical Hinduism thinking. So typical.
there is one thing in Hinduism that I don't really agree with. it is the total submission to your master. in order to learn something in Hinduism, the master wants you to totally be sumbmissive. which I don't really agree with.

I've read two mystic stories by Balzac: „Seraphita“ and „Louis Lambert“.
They were quite interesting – especially the second one. In “Louis Lambert” Balzac is referring a little bit to Emanuel Swedenborg – this “strange” guy of the 18th century. Swedenborg has occupied with angels, demons and so on. Maybe you know his famous “clairvoyance” of the fire in Goteborg in the year 1756.
I also have a book written by Swedenborg himself – but not yet read.

Greetings

if you want to find a book that is up lifting ,that impowers you ,that tell you the truth nature of who we realy are :i'm a multidimensional uniqueness with the possibility to become anything.

impowering knowledge and positive thinking.

the last chapter of (the biggest secret by david icke )

the last chapter would be somed up like this: a few can only control billions because the billions let it happen. we don't have to and we can change it just by being ourselves ,and allowing other people to be themselves and enjoying the gift of life.
this is not a time to fear and it's not a time to hide.
the choise is ours ,fear or love , prison or freedom.

and one of the greatess books i read (infinite love is the only truth; every thing else is illusion by :david icke)

a very impowering book , it can be somed up :

the mosteffective way to disconnect from this manipulations of the system is to laugh in its face .once we take it seriously we become attached to the game through mind,emotion and fear.

.we are told what to look like ,what to say ,what to think,how to act ,who to worship, what to strive for.

.the kids are programmed with robotic behaviour from earliest of age ,welcome to a life time of fear.

.we are not our name,body,familly ,race,nation or religion. we are not our possessions ,job,status,fame,success or failure. we are not even our personality ,thoughts or emotions.
so what are we?
we are infinite love
how do i know?
simple
there is noting else.

i do strongly recommend you those two books .

Back