• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Spontaneity or fastidious planning..

Marquis Rex

To all your budding writers/established writers of fiction.
Is there alot of planning upfront of your works or do you "wing" it and write as you go, perhaps adjusting drafts later, "playing by feel"?

I have had most of my stories brewing in my mind for a few years, and I know what I want to say, and scribble it down, and then form a plan/timeine from this as well as coming up with how I will illustrate the points for the desired effect. I then put them into some kind of order and try to elaborate upon them into a story.

I also often find my mind is least "constrained" and most fledged when I am half asleep, and relaxed or 'at peace with myself'.

I try to have a general outline down before I start, otherwise I tend to forget to include any resolution.

I like to have an outline although I have written without prior thought before.

Reason's for outline? I'd want to know that there's enough steam in the story I want to tell. If I start breaking it down and I've only got enough for a few chapters then I know that it's more than likely a short story that I've overdressed and can, therefore, modify and tighten. I also like to get specific names for characters and do some research into possible allusions to give the story a slightly off-beat feel.

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I find it more fun without an idea of what's going to happen, but sometimes you just know.

I NEVER plan. I get inspired and start writting. It's like I have been taken over. My fingers tingle and my heart is beating wildly. Can't describe it :) Anyway, if I PLANNED then I would know the ending. Where is the fun in that??? :D

Guess, as in everything, everybody is different :)

I write for myself and get more of a buzz from the characters than the plot. They have been inside my head for so long that I now feel entitled to get inside theirs. I leave it up to them to develop their own stories. i.e. I confront them with an issue/conflict and, by knowing them ‘intimately’, I know how they will react to any given situation. Sometimes they catch me out (just like real people).

It’s more fun this way – to follow a plan would make it a chore, and I think the characters would appear false if they were manipulated in any way.

This might sound like nonsense. But I’m a beginner at this, and beginners are allowed to make mistakes. :)

Third Man Girl

I also write by the seat of the pants. I have a general idea about the main crisis, and that's about it. Sometimes I don't even know how the crisis will be resolved. I expect the characters to figure that out - after all, it's their story. What I really love is when a new character pops in, and they are just the person needed to solve things at the end. I don't pre-plan any of that, I don't outline. I just write.

Back