• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Springtime!

Mort

Worked a lot of overtime this week and came home exhausted after having to work on a Saturday. So what did I do? I ended up digging up a flower bed to plant a bunch of geraniums, Gerbera daisies, and African daisies. I'll probably pay for it tomorrow.

The weather is really warming up. I also noticed that my jack-in-the-pulpit is coming up again this year. Yay! The rhododendrons are starting to bloom, the birds are singing, and everything is so green!

Hurrah for Spring!

Anyone have any Springtime/gardening stories to share?

We're in the 3rd week of wildflower season here, which is the tail end. I drove to my hometown yesterday, which this time of year is the prettiest drive just about anywhere. It's just over an hour past green fields with bluebonnets, indian paintbrush, some very pretty yellow and pink flowers I've seen all my life and don't know the names of. The pink ones have the softest petals and are filled with a sticky yellow pollen that stains your nose when you try to smell them. There are also ponds (called "tanks" as they are generally manmade and exist to water the cows), cows with calves just getting the hang of walking, muddy rivers with banks full of green, green trees, occasional horses, fences that are either painted white (for the rich people who drive out to their ranch from the city) or barbed wire. We drove with the top down on the cabrio, the sun was a touch too warm when you stopped but perfect at 70 miles an hour, and you could smell the grass and wildflowers and occasional cow manure.

Tonight it's raining, as it will for the next month every couple days, which means I don't have to feel bad about not watering my herb garden today. Can't grow a thing but the herbs grow themselves, my mint is trying to take over the world and the rosemary is practically a bush.

Spring really just began for us this past week. We live in an apartment without a balcony, so its an adventure each year to attempt to plant flowers and put them in places where my cats can't eat them. I have started this year's planting...only one plant chewed on so far, the others are quite out of reach.

I have the same problem with the bunnies. They like to eat the plants and dig out all the soil. Now I only plant things that aren't toxic to bunnies, and I cover all the pots with chicken wire and let the plants grow up through the holes. You wouldn't think a rabbit would be good at climbing, you'd be wrong.

PLEASE stop talking about the buunies... I WANT ONE!!! They are so CUTE!!!

I read the stuff about the bunnies; I think they are too much for me to handle! At least at the moment because I work so much! I am thinking about getting some mice or maybe a pet rat. I used to own pet rats, great guys :D

Regards
SillyWabbit

Rats make great pets, but they also make me sneeze. :(

But you know, bunnies are mostly awake in the morning and evening, when a body is home from work, and the rest of the time they sleep. They sleep a lot. In a few hours of scampering about outside their cage of an evening a bunny will get all the exercise it needs for the day. And if I'm ever going to be away for the whole day, rather than leave the bunnies in their cage, I pop them in the bathroom where they're safe (and so is the furniture), with some toys to play with and some food to munch on and they have a lovely time. Not that I'm trying to influence your decision or anything. ;)

I had mice too. They were lovely. But rats are much more fun. But you run the risk of the norty rat and the undefended 'puter cables.

But really, nothing says spring more than a flat full of bunnies and a belly full of chocolate.

I also only plant non-toxic plants. The chicken wire idea is a good one. After seeing one of my plants half hanging out its pot this morning, I think I'll try that....

Ratties are the best! I used to have a coupla dozen of the little critters. Got none now. :( But I didn't let them run loose for fear of losing them to the cats.

SillyWabbit said:
PLEASE stop talking about the buunies... I WANT ONE!!! They are so CUTE!!!

So, I probably shouldn't mention that I just got off the phone with my mum who told me that my brother's two bunnies keep fighting and he might have to find a new home for one of them?

Litany said:
So, I probably shouldn't mention that I just got off the phone with my mum who told me that my brother's two bunnies keep fighting and he might have to find a new home for one of them?

I'd be happy to take one off his hands :)

Did you know that if you grab 'em by the back legs you can swing 'em like a baseball bat? :eek: (if you dont mind the hissing)

RaVeN
(threaten to burn MY book will ya sister :D )

Just got back from camping trip with a LOT of malamutes over Easter weekend :) They made a HELL of a lot of noise and we almost got chucked offt he campsite (well, okay, we did get chucked off, and refused to leave :)) But it was a lot of fun!! :D

Spring is good, it means Summer is coming!!

Phil

RaVeN said:
Did you know that if you grab 'em by the back legs you can swing 'em like a baseball bat? :eek: (if you dont mind the hissing)
I'll give you fair warning. Any mention whatsoever of cruelty to animals as a joke makes me incredibly angry. More angry than you would ever want to see. That's the only warning you get.

Litany said:
I'll give you fair warning. Any mention whatsoever of cruelty to animals as a joke makes me incredibly angry. More angry than you would ever want to see. That's the only warning you get.

What? Burning a RaVeN's book isn't cruely to animals? :confused:

I gave you AND your dog 3 strikes and still didn't send you to the bench. What's just about only 1 warning?

If I make one more person cry this week......GEESH!!!!

RaVeN
(Happy Springtime everybody :) )

I gave you a warning, not a strike, so don't go sulking on me. I have pet rabbits, so I'm sure you can understand that I don't find your comment above in the slightest bit amusing. I wouldn't make jokes about torturing cats to a cat owner. I wouldn't makes jokes about torturing children to a parent. So, just imagine me as St Francis of Assisi with a spork we'll get along just fine. In fact, you're a RaVeN, so the worst I could really do is confiscate your perch.

Carry on. ;)

And take away his bird seed and posing mirror too. Hmm yes.

Anyway, back to spring and how great rabbits are.

Today my bunny has been helping with the spring cleaning, for she truly loves her mum. Actually the little cow wouldn't come out and I was trying to do the laundry.

http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk/lops/laundryspg.jpg

Back