• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

spyware.adware removal

spatha

I'm sure I saw a thread a while ago about free adware and spyware removal programs, yet now I cant find it (or it may have been mentioned in another thread) it had links to where the programs could be downloaded, anybody know which thread it was? or better, post the link for me?

Thanks

Use ad-aware or spybot, or better yet use both of them at once.
Both are free and very good programs.

Just do a search for it at download.com.

Ad-aware and Spybot, if I recall, require you to regularly download spyware definitions and then you have to sweep your machine for them. MicroSoft's new software connects to their site (as a background process) and, by default, installs new definitions, and catches spyware/adware being installed as it happens.

Also, SpyBot returns registry keys which aren't always dangerous, some are quite important, and the only way to determine them is through the colour coded results - not good for people with colour blindness. There is the risk that, with SpyBot, you can delete registry keys by accident - especially if you don't know what you are deleting.

Adaware I used once and then removed it from my hard disk. Just didn't like it.

But ad-aware and spybot are tried and tested and detects most if not all spyware and is regulary updated. Downloading a spyware definition (approx 2 secs) before running the program is not exactly a lot of work. I'd rather use a program i know work instead of a untested beta version. Microsoft dont exactly have a reputation for quickly updating their software either.

Anything you delete with spybot you can undelete with the same program. Not an issue.

I agree with you. Of all the spyware removal programs that I have used Spybot is by far and away the best.

As the above poster mentioned, downloading an update takes just seconds so it's no big issue. I am pretty damn sure you can set it to download automatically if you want to.

Spybot creates backups each time it removes anything so if you get some problem after using it ( I have used it for over 2 years and just delete everything it marks and have never had a problem with it ) you can just go and restore it in a few seconds to before you deleted it! Simple!

Spybot also has an immunisation feature. Not only will it scan your computer for spyware it will also protect you from it and block all known spyware on it's database being downloaded onto your computer in the first place!

Microsoft... yeah like I can trust them. Most of their products are crap also.

I downloaded both stewarts recommendation and Spybot, and the microsoft beta seems to detect a lot that spybot missed, cleared a lot more anyway. thx for the advice all

Back