• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stand Up Comedy

I've never really been big on standup. I like to watch it when it's on TV, but I've never bought CDs or show tickets. I've enjoyed George Carlin, Dennis Leary, Robin Williams (back in the bad old days) and a few others. I don't really look for comedy though, so I don't know much about comedians from other countries.

Robert said:
That's one of the great things about George Carlin, he uses profanity, but not a lot of it.

Are you sure? His routine "Seven Words You Can't Say on Television," and a sequel, "Filthy Words," became the subject of a Supreme Court case on censorship.

lies said:
Still haven't watched Bottom myself. I've been stuck with The Young Ones repeats. Hehe.

The Young Ones still stands out as one of the truly revolting sit coms--but in a good way. Do you believe I had what could almost be described as a CRUSH on Nigel Planer in his YO days? Makes me wonder about myself.

No one's mentioned Rowan Atkinson? Hilarious - his stage shows, that is. The Mr Bean routine got a bit old. Atkinson's live show where he's the Devil still cracks me up every time. "The French... ?"

I like Jimeoin and Craig Charles too. Billy Connelly is alright, but his profanity does get a bit much at times. Although, after trying to listen to Denis Leary, he's not bad at all! Chris Rock is another one I just can't abide for language reasons.

I also really like musical comedy stand up, but can only think of Australian examples: Tripod and Scared Weird Little Guys. Oh, Adam Sandler is a musical comedy sort of thing. His 'Lonesome Kicker' is great - especially as I searched high and low to find my Adam Vinatieri football jersey!

Mari said:
Are you sure? His routine "Seven Words You Can't Say on Television," and a sequel, "Filthy Words," became the subject of a Supreme Court case on censorship.

Yes, very sure. I've caught his act a couple of times, the first time in Charleston, SC. I also used to have some of his tapes.

novella said:
When he was bad, he was very bad. I met him one night when he was hanging out with Andy Gibb.

Wow. That's really cool, and if Andy Gibb was there, they were definately the "bad old days". He was great back then. Now, he's cleaned up his lifestyle and his act. I just don't find him funny anymore.

Mari said:

I think it depends on the show. My mother and brother saw him at the Musical Tent in RI, and my mom said there was a lot more swearing than on the tapes or in his books. Granted, we're a swearing kind of family, so it didn't really bother her.

It's also possible that his language has gotten worse over the years. I believe it was 1978 the first time I saw him in Charleston, SC, and only a few years later in LA.

Robert said:
It's also possible that his language has gotten worse over the years. I believe it was 1978 the first time I saw him in Charleston, SC, and only a few years later in LA.

That's possible too. I think they went in 1998.

novella said:
Do you believe I had what could almost be described as a CRUSH on Nigel Planer in his YO days? Makes me wonder about myself.
Don't worry, you're not alone. (And Ade Edmondson, haha.)

bobbyburns said:
bill hicks = best american stand-up comic EVER.

best comedian ever.

A comedian's job is not just to tell jokes, it is to educate us. To make us aware and bill manages to be amazingly funny yet give us a social criticism critique

Just as great books are not just 'flimsy' escapism

Comedians (of an Aussie flavour) to avoid:
Wil Anderson
Dave Hughes (get some new material Hughesy)
Rodney Rude
Nick Giannopoulos

Thumbs up to:
The Working Dog team
Tripod
Judith Lucy
Adam Hills
Mick Molloy
Chris Lilley

Back