• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stay or go.

Determine sirmyk's fate

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
RitalinKid said:
Wow. You really made this thread. Do you want to stay or go? That's all that matters.
I still am uncertain. I am waiting on a couple more PMs from certain members and moderators before I make my decision.

I was contemplating offering a copy (of a certain forum member's book) to each member that voted stay... as my way of showing all of you that I'm not here at this forum for promotion.

So you decided to stay? thats great its wonderful, really, (note to self: cancel the caterers and the DJ.)

Quit being undecided, like you have a choice - how on earth are you going to get by without all of us charming wonderful people. Just to clear something up - your going would be pointless - i'm sure Stewart in his new avatar will be able to knockout some great invention with which I could track you down. So you see, escape is futile.

Glad that you made the right decision. :) I've been rather cantankerous myself as of late. :eek:

I have never heard of or used the term cantankerous before, but I have felt a little @#$%&!!! :mad: these last few days. And now my left eye is going all ;) again and the laptop screen looks a bit hazy. I recently changed careers and have been dealing with personal crap up the ying/yang. Saying I am stressed is an understatement. Someone borrow my shovel and beat the living $h!t out of me... and invite the caribou over for a feast. But don't forget to invite Leckert; I know he has a thing for caribou.

Sirmyk its up to you to either stay or go. At the end of the day its a forum you enjoy to visit and talk and discuss....whatever every once in a while. Many people may not like you on here but not many people like me on here either ;) If I did the same poll as you I think many people will vote for me to go. Remember at the end of the day its your choice wether you feel comfortable in this forum and if you enjoy being in this forum.

RainbowGurl said:
Many people may not like you on here but not many people like me on here either ;) If I did the same poll as you I think many people will vote for me to go.
My goodness! What on earth do you base that on?!?! I can't see anyone harbouring any kind of animosity towards you, RG! :confused:

Strangely enough a variation of such an incident happened on a board where I was an active member with > 1000 posts too.

I posted a link to an article I had written on my website in response to another post. It was a relevant and on-topic link, but imagine my feelings when a moderator stepped in and accused me of self-promotion. Of course, I was not officially warned or anything but it still made me feel so bad towards that forum.

I left the forum later on, but for other reasons, but I resisted the temptation to post "goodbye" messages. I always feel that posting a "goodbye" message is a sure way to attract ridicule.

I feel for the author in question here. I know how it would be to be accused of spamming when you know that you have probably done something that contributes to the forum to which you belong.

Again, the decision is yours... stay if you are comfortable with the setup here and leave if you are not...

I myself am not a regular here so I cannot comment on the current trend on this forum.

There's a lot of new and old faces posting in this thread. Thank you all for the support, and if we have never met before... now we have.

(lifts glass and toasts all who are listening)

sirmyk,

I came across this post quite by accident. I very rarely visit this board, leave alone post anything. It's just one of those places that I visit rarely for whatever reason... (nothing against this board of course ;)). But this thread caught my attention because I could relate to what you were saying and how you felt about it.

I don't know what happened here, so I cannot comment. But in my experience, very rarely do moderators react without having some underlying reason for it. Maybe it was a string of incidents and not just a single occurrence which sparked off this confrontation, as it happened to me... I don't know...

I can tell you that "self-promotion" is an extremely touchy topic wherever you go... online. In real life, the whole dynamics are different because people you meet get to know you as the person. Online, we only know you through your posts. It's not all black-and-white as it happens in your and my case and sometimes moderators do make mistakes because such things are quite difficult to judge. To be frank, I think the "no-spam" rule and the "self-promotion" rule on many sites are quite vague... hard to judge for a member what kind of posts come across as self-promotion and what kind do not. Different forums have different philosophies in this so as members, it's very important that we get to know that before we do something that lies in that "grey" area.

Maybe you will be better served by taking a temporary break from here if you still feel quite strongly about it. Believe it or not, if you continue posting here with that resentment within you, you won't enjoy it and you'll probably experience more difficulties...

Again, best of luck with your literary work and your books!

Back